Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoping to make my very first visit to Gunsite in the morning. Sounds like there’s going to be some friendly faces there tomorrow.

Owls for Tony and I with my lovely new Teague chokes in Dora.  Very enjoyable and no waiting around.  Enjoyed the course and even managed the teals and driven well.  Made an absolute hash of the Simo left and right at the bottom end of the bowl and just could not find the  right hand bird, a horrid 4/10 ?.  Finished on a 79 in the end and Tony on a 90.

Gunsite beckons for tomorrow eh Rich?
Could not resist, went with Stew Keen, could not hit a barn door, as hard as one tried the more mechanical one became / the worse one got, Stew 85

Jon Kendall 97 leading when we left, 170 plus at noon

Horne for me again today.  Stuffed up Stand 2 and did poorly on both sim pairs (I kept shooting too far underneath the second target on both).  Other than that, I felt I shot fairly well.  I need to keep practising and nail the sim pairs and fiddlier incomers/quartering targets that need little lead.  I do fine on the bigger targets.

Gunsite for me today,enjoyed the targets didn’t enjoy the queues ?i definitely go off the boil when I’m waiting about,still it’s to be expected at most decent shoots these days.finished on 88 felt hard work to get there tho.?

Keston and Horne .  Can’t wait for the clay season to get really back underway, not much to choose from this weekend.  Thank God for Owls yesterday.  I’ve only been to Keston once before and lots of edge on, 10 stands I’d 10.  Horne had some good ones today but yet again coloured clays that I can’t see properly just pees me off.   I think I am going to call it a day there for a while if I’ve got a choice.

Gunsite for us. Another good shoot from Sean.Just never fails . Arrived at 11. Had a cuppa. Went round fairly well. Not too many mega queues.  Happy with a 93 which probably should have won A. If dipstick had not gone birds only ?.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Gunsite for me today,enjoyed the targets didn’t enjoy the queues ?i definitely go off the boil when I’m waiting about,still it’s to be expected at most decent shoots these days.finished on 88 felt hard work to get there tho.?
Over 200 entries again so lots of stand hopping to minimise queueing but you couldn't ask for better weather in mid Jan. I thought it was a superb setup apart from the R-L curling away on 10. Should have shot it earlier but the old brain sometimes stops just when I need it. :frown:

I did the F1 shoot at Sporting Targets. Basically F1 teams in theory but we were the only dedicated clay shooters team, so won it but personally I would ban us.. ? Shot with Salopian and Maxus plus Growl! And another chap David. I missed HG by 1 clay, on a course with several firm stands, including a Long battue that never showed face I only hit once. Made a change to shoot there and as it wasn’t a sunny day, none of the targets were in the sun.. ?

First shoot of the year for me today, I was at Mill Farm in Hankham. I missed my first clay of the year but ended up on a 62/70 on their sporting layout. Nothing too challenging out there I just dropped a few silly targets. I swapped from Fiocchi Fblacks to Hull Pro Fibre, certainly has a few nice breaks and am happy with the results.  

Went to Grange 

199 entries. 

Wondered round on my own, still rusty as this is the second reg with my new stock and hadn't shot a clay since Sept. 

Pleased with 89 stock feels good. 

Some big scores all over the classes

I haven't been so pleased with an 81 for a good many years  :lol: , basically as some may know I'm in between guns at the moment as a DT10 I've committed to is away having selectors fitted to the action, it'll then be off to Teagues to have chokes eased after which I shall give it a full month of appraisals to decide properly whether it's worth throwing another £6-700 quid at importing a "stage 2" recoil reducer from the states. 

My own PFS stock having broken has meant fitting the old wood one back with a too thick Green pad I stuck on (coupled to too much comb being dialled in by yours truly) resulted in a miserly 78 first time out, I then took the pad to my trusty local cobbler who ground 6mm off the pad and refinished it by glueing some green leather to the end for the outrageous sum of £7.50 plus he took 3 hours as well ! I also dropped the comb by about 5mm. 

Next outing the gun felt totally different, fluid and easy to stay with the line meant I had 7 stands of nine (some very missable ones too) with only one horror incident when I couldn't find either of a very hard quartering/crossing orange battue with a break point of 50 yards and a fast crossing dropper off a tower  :eek:  nobody shot it that well but I missed 8 so ending up on 81 despite that still meant I'm on the right track. 

Mate of mine had horrendous trouble with misfires on his CG all the way round so I lent him mine to have a second round with and he only goes and joint HG's it with Kevin Howland on 94. 

Hardly a shoot report.. but went with a mate to watch him try a Beretta 692 Black 32” this morning. Carbon rib. Standard gun was a very close fit for me, maybe a fraction high combed and a fraction short in stock, but close. For my mate, very different to his old gun, so he is a bit undecided and confused, but I had a few shots at various targets and couldn’t miss with it. I thought it was lovely! Not so keen on the free-play in the trigger after it’s fired, but otherwise really good. Just thought I would mention..  

Gunsite Sunday with a 92......Missed a couple of soft ones ...

Julian Morris won the Shoot with a 99 which was unreal!

Went to EJC on Saturday and thought the course was quite soft. I ended on 78/100 but was really disappointed as I found myself not reading the clays properly; definitely should have done better there.

Oh, got bloody soaked as well in that rain!! 

Sunday I went to Weston Wood and because of the snow and sleet I doubt there was more than 50 entries today. I think I ended on 74. A part from ‘the pond’ I enjoyed the course but found I was struggling on a couple climbing L-R presentations that cropped up. Need to iron that out. 

Weston Wood for the blizzard today the drive up at times a little interesting as some parts of the A34 like a skating rink,didn't shoot particularly well and struggled to see some of the clays in the light.

The pink going away ones just seemed to disappear  and the Battue/looper/crosser on stand 2 an orange clay with the black side showing seemed daft?

Found that the Musto jacket i was wearing along with a wet weather but pad= skating all over my shoulder which made it a bit interesting.

On to 4 ctc where they had decided to run 50 instead of 100 reg for some reason not apparent,wet and unreasonably cold compared to WW again some clays hard to see the crosser on stand 2 impossible until almost on the ground :frown: .

But on the upside at least i was out shooting!! :D :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Weston wood for us too. Enjoyed the shoot . Didn't enjoy the weather. ⛄ . Central heating now maxed out.?. 91 for me .

Jasper. 

Back