Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the six stands i shot the same groundsman appeared at the traps to refill then while shooting was in progress on two separate occasions that i saw, Beverley is a a trap dominated ground so the general layout is cages on the layout end and traps downrange in view of several stands, this was an ESP shoot, second time the bird was descending and heading  in a direction so as to place grounds man in line of shot from that stand perhaps 40 yards away, ref and shooter spot this bloke in time to avoid incident, This referee goes to speak with him and on his return declares he is no longer willing to continue citing danger to life, perhaps not the first time?  All shooter at our stand prob 8 agreed and we went to the clubhouse to see about a refund. I believe the shoot was short of referees from the start so in some areas 1 ref was covering 2 or more stands,Shoot was well attended and the traps are of the type with short low capacity carousels so refilling is a pressure job , I dont know if the groundsman was new reckless or untrained. Last year was not without incident either.
That`s appalling !

Owls Lodge today, starting on the sim pair of teal - oh joy - 1.  7 down before we’ve even got going but I just thought okay I can still get 93.  I did laugh to myself when I thought that.  The sim teal and crosser missed the teal on the way up so the last two pairs shot the crosser first and the teal on the drop which I got.  Suffered a bit in the rabbit stand as you walk into the bowl area on the right.  I had a no bird before every rabbit.   I think it was fairly testing and the second bird on the stand at the bottom of the bowl the orange incomer varied quite a lot but even given that I don’t think I did my best shooting today at all.  I don’t know  my score I didn’t check it.

Owls Lodge today, starting on the sim pair of teal - oh joy - 1.  7 down before we’ve even got going but I just thought okay I can still get 93.  I did laugh to myself when I thought that.  The sim teal and crosser missed the teal on the way up so the last two pairs shot the crosser first and the teal on the drop which I got.  Suffered a bit in the rabbit stand as you walk into the bowl area on the right.  I had a no bird before every rabbit.   I think it was fairly testing and the second bird on the stand at the bottom of the bowl the orange incomer varied quite a lot but even given that I don’t think I did my best shooting today at all.  I don’t know  my score I didn’t check it.
Also Owls for me and I picked today to lose the ability to shoot teal more than ever. So having three of them on, two as a sim pair, wrecked my card. So much so, I went to Churchill’s this pm to practice teal! It wasn’t an easy shoot, but I really cocked it up teal wise.. 

Jack Pyke at sporting targets for me, shot a very average 98 in A class, most distinguishing aspect of the course was the shear volume of pro piston 9's I shot, bearing in mind I shoot 3/8's choke so not stupidly tight, I shot around 100 pro pistons out if 120!

Last edited by a moderator:
Westfield Premier League today. A nice start picking up cash from West London. 😆

There was nothing to remind me it was anything other than a normal reg shoot there, 12 stands, no water stations, no banners, but not a problem. A beautiful day and a superb course with plenty of longer targets. I think it was making hard work for the C class folks I talked to. Definitely a day where I felt I could have hit 5 more, but not too unhappy on 88. Really enjoyed it. 

Southdown sporting for us today, good targets as usual but it was so quiet! We arrived about midday and went round virtually on our own.  Of 13 stands, there was only 3 where there was shooters in front of us, so we didn't really get a good chance to look at the targets but it was a lovely sunny hot day so we just had to get an ice cream on the way home 😊

Southdown sporting for us today, good targets as usual but it was so quiet! We arrived about midday and went round virtually on our own.  Of 13 stands, there was only 3 where there was shooters in front of us, so we didn't really get a good chance to look at the targets but it was a lovely sunny hot day so we just had to get an ice cream on the way home 😊
So many good shoots on in the south today. Westfield Prem league, Honesberie, Southdown and Widdington. I would have done two, but lots of shooting this week!

Quick trip up to Gatton Bottom yesterday as had lots to do at home and couldn't face a longer drive. The usual story of lots of fiddly stuff - long slow incomers, an edge on going away rabbit and lots of quartering targets. I shot fairly steadily with only a couple of blips where I dropped two pairs after hitting the first pair for no apparent reason. After recent form I'm satisfied to avoid scores starting with a 6, so was OK with my 74.

I went to Horne also and it seemed even fiddlier than usual. Started off well other than dropping 3 of the going away battue off the platform. Just couldn’t force myself to push under it. Had dropped  7 after 9 stands and then the wheels fell off on stand 10 scoring a 2. Pretty sure I was in front of both birds but again couldn’t make myself do something different. Back to stand 2 and did not get any of the 2nd bird left to right through the tree line. Did try taking it early then late on the drop but still dropped 5 on that stand. Was glad to finish with a straight on stand 1. Wasn’t too happy with my 82 but just seen the scores and High Gun was 90 so can’t be too unhappy.

Shooting the Worlds at Churchills on Tues & Weds with Will. Hopefully I can shoot better than I have on my last two visits to EJC.

We are there tues and weds too, might see you,  shoot well everyone. 
Thanks and good luck to you as well. We start at 11:15 but just checked my booking email and can’t see anything that says whether that’s on the blue or red course. I see parking is at the usual place nr the Lodge. I assume they have put on extra parking, as on the monthly registered shoots it can get pretty full even in the lower overflow car park.

I went to Horne also and it seemed even fiddlier than usual. Started off well other than dropping 3 of the going away battue off the platform. Just couldn’t force myself to push under it. Had dropped  7 after 9 stands and then the wheels fell off on stand 10 scoring a 2. Pretty sure I was in front of both birds but again couldn’t make myself do something different. Back to stand 2 and did not get any of the 2nd bird left to right through the tree line. Did try taking it early then late on the drop but still dropped 5 on that stand. Was glad to finish with a straight on stand 1. Wasn’t too happy with my 82 but just seen the scores and High Gun was 90 so can’t be too unhappy.
It was fiddly, think he intentionally put on lots of 'technical' targets yesterday.

I screwed the platform stand.  Hit the first three clays and then missed the rest.  Similarly on 10, first pair killed, two pairs missed, last pair killed.

On 10, i found the second bird was quartering a little more than I thought and needed a slight push through to the right.  Did that on the first pair, but then I took the foot of the gas and shot the next two pairs less aggressively, before giving myself a talking to before taking the last pair.

Did OK on 2, dropped one of each. The second bird you may have been overdoing it, I took it shortly after it became visible through the tree and I wasn't much to the right of it.

I saw the mini on Stand 7 catching a lot of people out.

Saturday was an appointment with the eminent, Mr Lyons. All good on the ocular health front and a new set of lenses for the sun fitted I was ready for Sunday. 

Early start at Honesberie and found that they've done some serious work on the ground since the last shoot. Lots of new rides cut in and some new elevation constructed with more to come apparently. I finished on 73/100 and was pleased to do so. It was a cracking round of clays and you really had to be paying attention. 

Really looking forward to future shoots there as there's going to be some real presentation variety with all the work going on there.

It's important to note at this point, I wasn't suffering with a migraine like I've been experiencing when shooting on sunny days of late. The new lenses have really helped relax the eye and tone down the brightness.

Next stop was Westfield for the premier league event. Wow, another great shoot! I also got to watch a good portion of the USA team shoot some stands which was great to watch. In fact, lots of different nationalities at both shoots and all incredibly nice people. Looking forward to seeing them all at EJC over the week.

I think some fatigue had set in here as I ended up on 65. The course, and scores, seem to be on a par with Honesberie so I didn't do as well as I could have done but my word, we need more shoots like these each week. Great efforts from both grounds.

Next shoots for me:

• Straw bale hunt shoot tonight
  • Prelim Friday 15:00
  • Main Event Sat/Sun 10:21

It was fiddly, think he intentionally put on lots of 'technical' targets yesterday.

I screwed the platform stand.  Hit the first three clays and then missed the rest.  Similarly on 10, first pair killed, two pairs missed, last pair killed.

On 10, i found the second bird was quartering a little more than I thought and needed a slight push through to the right.  Did that on the first pair, but then I took the foot of the gas and shot the next two pairs less aggressively, before giving myself a talking to before taking the last pair.

Did OK on 2, dropped one of each. The second bird you may have been overdoing it, I took it shortly after it became visible through the tree and I wasn't much to the right of it.

I saw the mini on Stand 7 catching a lot of people out.
I got all the crossers on the platform but only hit one of the battue and that was a chip off the top. It was a strange target as going away and down but rotating right to left as well. Certainly messed with my head.

I was happy to straight the rabbit stand taking it on the bounce. I got all but one of the mini but did see a lot of people before me struggling with it. I always remember Mr Faulds telling me that mini’s very rarely require much if any lead.

You are probably right about 2. I just hate those targets that skim the tree line. Should have knelt down for a better view ..

Jack Pyke at sporting targets for me, shot a very average 98 in A class, most distinguishing aspect of the course was the shear volume of pro piston 9's I shot, bearing in mind I shoot 3/8's choke so not stupidly tight, I shot around 100 pro pistons out if 120!
Having not shot it before we took the 3 hour drive from Dorset,once i got off the motorway it seemed like a roundabout every 500M!

Beautiful ground,really friendly staff and the towers were great fun  :biggrin:

We arrived and the day didn't start well when i realised that i had in a rush to get out of the house i had grabbed the wrong gun from the cabinet i then realised it was going to be one of those days when i wasn't fully on the ball!

Nevermind wouldn't have been a problem apart from the fact i am in the process of making a Multitarget stock fit my A400 Parallel target and its shooting a wee bit high making it hard to get under anything that was dropping....a lot of the targets were 🙄

I have to say i was really surprised and concur with Johny,i think i could have shot the whole thing with Bior 9's the pair on stand 3 being about 5M of the end of the gun...not what i was expecting.

I was expecting something completely different but had a good squad shooting with my mate Eamon,Laurie and young Henry Collins who is always good for a laugh which made up for my poor score,no breakdowns and few no birds so the round went smoothly and we went to shoot the tower challenge.

Well that was amazing fun,dropping Lemming,a few big crossers and battues and the Crow of the tower which i reckon had to be 150ft up at its peak..breaking a 70M+ teal with the only choke i had 1/4 made me smile.

Not a high scoring day but plenty of laughs made up for that  :biggrin:

You are probably right about 2. I just hate those targets that skim the tree line. Should have knelt down for a better view ..
My husband is 6'4", he crouched for it.  Was a rare occasion where being a shortarse was a benefit.

Just returned from the STR world champs at EJC. The ground at the club looks great, nice trade village, lots of catering stands. (Avoid the so-called burrito). 

Well, the STR was just too tough. No target that was un-hittable but nearly every one was firm to hard. The sim pairs were obviously very tough. Distance was the theme mainly, plenty edge on, so the very bright sun didn’t help vision of them. There was a rabbit deliberately set behind unmown grass. WTF?

Sure, this course will provide a worthy champion, but if it was 10 targets easier for the A class shooters it still would. STR is not my strength but I felt brutalised with 67 from 18,16,16,17. Richard Bunning was 6 clear in front with 86 when I left.

I’m told that the sporting is not constantly tough, let’s see tomorrow.

Just returned from the STR world champs at EJC. The ground at the club looks great, nice trade village, lots of catering stands. (Avoid the so-called burrito). 

Well, the STR was just too tough. No target that was un-hittable but nearly every one was firm to hard. The sim pairs were obviously very tough. Distance was the theme mainly, plenty edge on, so the very bright sun didn’t help vision of them. There was a rabbit deliberately set behind unmown grass. WTF?

Sure, this course will provide a worthy champion, but if it was 10 targets easier for the A class shooters it still would. STR is not my strength but I felt brutalised with 67 from 18,16,16,17. Richard Bunning was 6 clear in front with 86 when I left.

I’m told that the sporting is not constantly tough, let’s see tomorrow.
Ouch. 

Thanks and good luck to you as well. We start at 11:15 but just checked my booking email and can’t see anything that says whether that’s on the blue or red course. I see parking is at the usual place nr the Lodge. I assume they have put on extra parking, as on the monthly registered shoots it can get pretty full even in the lower overflow car park.
We start at 10.21, parking wise, as you go into Churchills you bear left which takes you into the bottom field (someone is there to guide) and it’s a 2 minute walk to clubhouse.  We all start on the same course (red I think) but transport to take you to layouts.  If you go onto the CPSA website there’s the programme on there or if you go back to your email there is a section that’s says “click here to view programme” all the info is on there.  Shoot well.  

Saw some very good shots today with very long faces!  Had a look at the Sporttrap and for once I’m glad I’m not shooting! 

Just looked and and it depends on your squad number as to which course you start on.  One ref did tell us that one course is hard!  

Latest posts

Back