Funded shooters next Olympic cycle

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

40UP

Hot off the press.

British Shooting is proud to announce the latest athletes to be awarded with a place on the World Class Performance Programme.

The scheme has been in place since 1997 and the recent gold medal of Peter Wilson at London 2012 has left British Shooting in a better position than ever heading into Rio 2016.

Abbey Burton, Edward Ling, Matthew Thomson and Steven Scott are the newest names on the list of 11 shooters.

The full list of athletes named on the programme are:

Aaron Heading
Abbey Burton
Edward Ling
James Huckle
Jennifer McIntosh
Jonathan Hammond
Matthew Thomson
Peter Wilson
Rory Warlow
Stevan Walton
Steven Scott

Winning medals on the international sporting stage is incredibly tough and to ensure that the UK’s most talented athletes have every chance of realising their potential, UK Sport has created the World Class Performance Programme.

Athletes on UK Sport’s National Lottery backed Performance Programme will receive support for their Olympic campaign through a range of programme support services.

Funding is awarded on the basis of an Olympic cycle and commences on 1 April in the year immediately following a Games, for a period of four year, subject to formal agreement with UK Sport.

I don't see one pistol shooter on that list either male of female - what a shame and I think the pistol ban has a lot to do with that!

Huckle, McIntosh, Hammond and Thomson are all rifle shooters.

Nice to see Abbey back in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two well known names are missing and, I have to say, not before time.

I don't see one pistol shooter on that list either male of female - what a shame and I think the pistol ban has a lot to do with that!

Huckle, McIntosh, Hammond and Thomson are all rifle shooters.

Nice to see Abbey back in there.
Pistol Ban Robert? Don't start me off on that one again!!! :angry: