CCTV - Legality for home use

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonSkeet2

Hi All,

After having my car gone through on Sunday night by some thieving scum I have decided to install CCTV at the front and rear of the house.

I have the DVR, Camera's etc and there were 2 stickers provided but the manual makes no reference to the legalities which I'm sure there are and wondered if anyone here knows the score and also has CCTV installed at home?

The cameras will not monitor anything beyond my boundary just the driveway and back garden, I will be installing another 2 internal cameras as and when.

Cheers,

Jon.

I have it. Somebody mentioned that I should sign it, but we have not and it was a company that installed it. Best use so far was replaying very drunken party in my kitchen. :))

Jon,

As long as the cameras are only covering your own property, you will be fine. You mustn't view/record anything outside your own property. Signage isn't obligatory, although people/companies use them as a form of deterrent.

The DPA is very specific about the use of images obtained by CCTV, and who is permitted to view images/footage obtained this way, but so as long as you aren't recording ANYTHING from outside your own boundaries, you'll be fine.

Sorry to hear about your car!

Tony

Excellent :)

Cheers Tony, the system is now up and running perfectly but I'm going to add a third external camera next week to gain full coverage.

I can capture 24x7 from 2 cameras in HD for 50 days and the recording quality meets the requirements to be used as evidence for prosecution :)

Quite happy with the install :)

Jon.

Latest posts

Back