Briley Sub Gauge Tube sets

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeetfreak

After another couple of shooters taking a great deal of interest in the sub gauge tubes in my gun while we were at Doveridge today. I thought i would do a post on here for those who might not be aware of these (yes i know a lot of NSSA Skeet shooters will find this quite dull) so they can see what they are about and how they work....

Basically i took my gun to Chris Potter Guns (Tunbridge Wells) and Dionne there used a bore gauge to measure various points down the inside of my standard barrels. She then faxed the details off the Briley in the USA.

Where Steve Power (who was the contact i dealt with there) then had the "Hybrid" Fitted Tubes made for my gun.

So why Hybrid?

Well normally Briley offer two options:-

i) Companion Tubes - which are simply general purpose tubes that use little nylon / plastic pieces to "snug" the tubes into place all down the standard 12 gauge barrel and are designed with a level of tolerance to fit any barrel of a specific model.

ii). Fully fitted tubes - these are meant for Carrier barrels which are not used for 12 gauge shells. Basically you use a spare barrel and then then fit the tubes to this barrel and then match the weight of the barrel and tubes to your normal 12 gauge barrel so you do not notice a handling difference.

In an ideal world i would have liked "fully fitted tubes" in a carrier barrel but the cost of buying an extra barrel and sending this to the USA for the work etc was not an option. This is when Steve @ Briley and Dionne @ Chris Potter earned their money. Between them they came up with how to take the measurements and getting the info to the USA so that these "Hybrid" tubes which Briley have been using in the USA for a while could be made and used in my barrel.

It is basically a "Companion" chamber attached to a "fitted" tube which goes down the barrel. So i get the flexibility of the companion fit at the top end of the gun by the extractors and then "fitted" stuff down the barrel. This is important as those who use full companion tubes will know that the nylon / plastic pieces are prone to wear and you get tubes lifting and not ejecting properly etc or the cartridges jamming in them due to the steel headed ammunition issue we have here in Europe.

Users of "fully fitted" tubes do not get these issues as the tubes are totally snug and work much better.

Have to say quite a few rounds in over the various gauges they have performed perfectly so far, No Cartridge Jams, No tubes lifting and easy to fit and remove.

Here is a video from Briley of how they are fitted:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=q-RtmiZiL0o

Then a few shots of my own tubes and them in place so you can get an idea of how the tube ejectors work in unison with the standard ejectors.

001_zps617585fe.jpg

011_zps83016fe5.jpg

010_zps079f6bd8.jpg

Hope the odd couple of you found that interesting.

As someone relatively new to skeet what is the purpose of these? I saw mention of using them for training day due to so many cartridges being fired = lots of recoil. But does a 21/24g load not achieve the same result?

P1 they are for shooting different bores from one gun for nssa skeet 20-28-.410 and obviously 12g

Latest posts

Back