Beretta 692

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Hartzman

Hello. This is the first time that I have ever been on a forum or blog. I thought it would be a good idea as my new Beretta 692 came with the same manual as the last three older models that I bought. None of the new features or adjustments are in it. I have looked on line for more in depth information. There is not much there. The other problem is there is no Beretta dealer of gunsmith in my small city.

My problem is that the front stock is so hard to remove that I am afraid that I may break the wood. Does anyone know how to fix or adjust this. There seems to be some new things inside the latch for the front stock but no literature to say how to adjust it. Help.

I always wanted to be part of a clay's blog. I just really still don't understand how they work. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot.

I look forward to hearing from anyone.

Regards Mike from Kingston Ontario Canada 

Hi Mike and welcome, technically you should have posted under Equipment & services - Guns or perhaps general discussions but you'll no doubt get the hang of it, your spelling is good so way ahead of most of us. :D

I assume by front stock you must mean the fore end ? New guns are almost always quite stiff here so don't worry too much but you will need to adapt a knack to begin with until it wears in naturally although I am sure a knowledgeable smith would ease it up without too much trouble. What I do with stiff fore end latches is rest the butt on the floor or suitable table and use my left hand to push whilst the right hand prises the latch open and pulls. The guns should be held close to your whole body so your head can stop the barrels from moving, with a bit of practice they come off and in time will ease up anyway.

Evening Mike

I've had my 692 for 6 months know and removing the for end is now much easier, I use a similar technique as described above, before you refit put a dollop of grease on the latch and drop of oil on the spring

Worked for me, enjoy!

Sorry, Just realised! there is no adjustment on the front stock as far as i know?!

Last edited by a moderator:
hi mike ,

I have had the same problem with my 692, but more annoying was the really stiff opening and closing even after putting a few thousand shots through it, I discovered that if you remove the torx screw near that big coil spring and remove that little unit , if you then hold the unit with pliers you can wind the screw in a little compressing the spring a bit , which in effect moves the fore end away from the action . I presume that big spring is some form of recoil reducer.There are also two little allen screws in front of the catch which adjust the angle of the catch.Im no gunsmith but it worked for me .

hi mike ,

I have had the same problem with my 692, but more annoying was the really stiff opening and closing even after putting a few thousand shots through it, I discovered that if you remove the torx screw near that big coil spring and remove that little unit , if you then hold the unit with pliers you can wind the screw in a little compressing the spring a bit , which in effect moves the fore end away from the action . I presume that big spring is some form of recoil reducer.There are also two little allen screws in front of the catch which adjust the angle of the catch.Im no gunsmith but it worked for me .
The mechanism in the forend appears to be an auto adjust to prevent the fit of the catch becoming sloppy.  I'd just say find a method to use which you're comfortable with (possibly as mentioned earlier) of removing the forend and persevere.  My 692 has had about 12,000 cartridges through it, is stripped and cleaned every weekend and removing the forend poses no issues now, though it was just as difficult to remove as the op's when it was new.  Same goes for the opening and closing of the gun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mike and welcome to the forum.

Don't have any experience with the 692 but have experienced similar problems with a 682E that my wife used to have. Can only add, as with other comments on here, that it did ease up after more use.

Good luck with it.

Welcome. Don't worry if anything is hard to remove of feels stiff, it will all wear in by itself. My old DT10 took about five or six thousand shells before it felt right. My DT11 has a foreend which hard to get on and hard to get off,but it's normal, so don't fret over it. 

Yes dont worry dont do anything to it, it will wear in

Hi Mike, Welcome to ShootClay     :hi:  Enjoy your visits      :thumbsu:

Hope the fore end problem is easing! As mentioned grease and oil before reassembly works pretty well. My 692 was a pig to start with but now it works as well as my browning!!

Great area you live in, I lived in Ottawa 94-99 and travelled through to Guelph on a regular basis.

Latest posts

Back