A few questions

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martindd

Firstly can anyone recommend any budget shooting glasses please? Only starting out so just clear lenses would you say?

Secondly I've got peltor electronic ear-defenders which seem to run batteries down very quickly and seem bulky.So can anyone tell me of their experience of custom moulded passive ear plugs?

Thirdly looking for a skeet vest and need a big un! Top gun claypro look the largest I can find,are there any others?

Also as I've never owned one should I get a cotton one or mesh?

Lastly and slightly off topic I have a Miroku 7000 from a month ago which seems to suit me,and I've tried to see with no luck if its suitable for steel?

Thanks and sorry for the barrage of questions.

Martin

Ref the ear defenders. Take a look at the MSA Sordin range. They are slimfit and very comfy, batteries last for ages. The mid range stereo version is the best overall, good quality and used by loads of professional coaches. 

Vest - Mesh for Summer otherwise cotton. Top Gun are good VFM, but if you are outside the "normal" or "average" size,  then keep an eye on sales. They often sell larger or smaller sizes at silly prices. These are nice http://www.philipmorrisdirect.co.uk/musto-clay-shooting-vest-2013/product/?utm_source=bingleBase&utm_medium=organic&gclid=CPjfseK8wrwCFWLHtAodlRwAwA  

or maybe this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/120828539328?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95

EDIT - Here's another - http://www.horseandhoof.eu/jack-pyke-of-england-pro-sport-ultra-gp-vest-4930-p.asp

And another - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEELAND-WESTON-CLUB-WAISTCOAT-SHOOTING-SKEET-VEST-IN-GREEN-M-L-XL-XXL-XXXL-/221270176139

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a look at the barrels near, or on, the lump (breech end) and there should be markings on them.  

If there is a fleur de lys mark then they are steel proofed.

Regards the steel shot it will be fine for standard steel cartridges as CIP regulations limit the pressure so they can be used in older guns and are backward compatible for modern guns so no steel proof mark is required. The MIroku 7000 is classed as a modern gun, if you had a very old side by side family heirloom then you might have issues.

The confusion is regards High performance steel used for hunting or vermin that requires the proof marks, it will be clearly marked on the cartridge box that the gun has to have both 'steel shot, and 'fleur de lys symbol' stamped on the barrel to use those carts but those carts are not for clays.

So in answer to you question you can use standard steel just not high performance steel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a look at the barrels near, or on, the lump (breech end) and there should be markings on them.  

If there is a fleur de lys mark then they are steel proofed.

Something like this.

6.jpg

And yes, as per above.  Modern Steel in modern guns, for clay use should be fine.  You wont be putting 50g of No.3 steel, through full choke... :)

If you are thinking 9's for skeet, you be even more ok.

Rules usually are; no more than 1/2 choke.

Modern Steel is enclosed in a shot cup too,so you don't have to worry about barrel damage etc. 

Secondly I've got peltor electronic ear-defenders which seem to run batteries down very quickly and seem bulky.So can anyone tell me of their experience of custom moulded passive ear plugs?
If you want passive earplugs - @SoR on here is a good contact - he is involved with www.proshock.co.uk who have some very good products. 

Hi Martin,

im 6ft4 :wild:   23.5stn :sarcastichand:   58inch chest and ive struggled in the past with vests until i bought a topgun claycoat for winter/rain and vest for summer, the 4x gives a nice comfortable fitt.pretty goood quality too. check em out.

hope this helps,

BOTCH.

Back