Talent, technique and technology

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lloyd

I’ll be upfront and start by qualifying that I’m entirely unqualified to make this post, but I’m gonna make it anyway.

Like the great nature-versus-nurture debate, there has been debate as to how much success in sporting life (and other fields of endeavour) is down to talent, technique and technology.

Like nature-v-nurture, it’s probably a Venn diagram with probably some odd proportions. My twin daughters have I feel been for me something of an education in this regard.

Today whilst “working from home” I came across a video opening with non other than the legend himself Mr Digweed, the filming vantage point being from over George’s shoulder.

Keen to learn what I could from this giant of our sport that we all love, I slowed the video down to 1/4 speed to study George’s mount and his swing.

To my amazement, George can be clearly seen to dip the muzzles on some shots, raise the barrels, some ‘experts’ would say correctly so for some presentations, but then George dips them dip again, barrels waving around. (he still broke the clay) OK, so perhaps not such a cardinal sin, but on later shots...

George can clearly be seen to swing his gun... STOP the gun, fire and then continue his swing. This more than once. A sure reason to miss according to instructors I’ve been with, yet George, perhaps not unsurprisingly breaks the clays.

There are many legends about the great man, of him using guns fitted for others and breaking 70 yard plus targets whilst holding a beer in his other hand, so technology and perhaps technique are no barrier to his extraordinary talent. 

From this I would  conclude this... I stop the gun (no doubt for longer than Mr D) on occasion, and I DONT break the clay. I have dipped the barrels on occasion and have probable fluffed my shot as a result.

I’m quite sure that I’d not fair too well if I tried to emulate George in this video, and would fair little better if I followed best practice to the letter.

Ladies and Gentlemen, marvel at the man who can do it better than anyone, even when doing it wrong... Mr Digweed (set it to quarter speed)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting topic.

A good friend of mine and multi award winning trap shooter having won everything more than once incl world champ and totally dominated his chosen discipline for a decade or two is in my opinion naturally gifted (also has good technique). I believe good technique can be taught and good results can be attained however i believe as in most sports or indeed life itself natural ability is what makes people rise to the top and sometimes despite poor technique on the face of it.

So give us a clue on setting it to 1/4 speed......

And which pegs your seeing this on please

Bottom right of picture, next to youtube word, cog symbol, click on this then set your playback speed

Bottom right of picture, next to youtube word, cog symbol, click on this then set your playback speed
Thanks, I'm guessing I'll need the PC. I'm not seeing a cog viewing it on my phone

I have found over the years that folk (me included) do not always do what they think they do or indeed what they advocate to do 🤔
And at the same time there are those of us who totally know what it is that we should be doing since shooting is really not rocket science.  Being acutely aware of my own incompetence I'm a staunch advocate of do as I say not as I do   :hunter:   

Depending on me to be correct in my thinking is quite something else again   :umnik:

And at the same time there are those of us who totally know what it is that we should be doing since shooting is really not rocket science.  Being acutely aware of my own incompetence I'm a staunch advocate of do as I say not as I do   :hunter:   

Depending on me to be correct in my thinking is quite something else again   :umnik:
Yes and that. I do quite a bit of "minding" on game days, pretty much every week during game season. Now i do not consider myself a particularly good game shooter but i can see were and generally why folk miss and usually i am able to help folk hit stuff by doing what i tell em to do but it isnt necessarily how i do it, 🤔

Yes and that. I do quite a bit of "minding" on game days, pretty much every week during game season. Now i do not consider myself a particularly good game shooter but i can see were and generally why folk miss and usually i am able to help folk hit stuff by doing what i tell em to do but it isnt necessarily how i do it, 🤔
SO, you do not bend over forwards and shoot between yer legs, like you had me doin then   ?

• Haha
Reactions: ips
When I watch Ben Husthwaite instructional videos, he makes total sense to me. Now this may just be because he approaches targets in a very similar way to me. (Clearly he makes a better job of it..).

Many other top shots I worry are just not so aware of why they are as good as they are and while their teachings are a sincere interpretation of what they think they are doing, it doesn’t always transfer to other people or stand alone as a logical process. There are plenty of videos where the coach talks his way through a shot and simply isn’t doing what he is saying. Having said that, pupils minds are different so it’s about finding a bond. I’ve done enough coaching to realise that some people really click with what I say while some are thinking in a very different way to me and while I can put myself in their shoes, I get blisters after a short walk. 

You swing from behind and shoot when you reach the front edge (regardless of speed and distance) and it works because you adjust the speed of swing to compensate. All makes sense as Will says but the trouble is when you watch him shoot that is not what’s occurring. 

Slomo is a helluva thing. 

I’ve watched GD for decades to learn and trust me there are many targets where you simply cannot swing from behind and nor does he. 

Latest posts

Back