Nottingham area ESP reg shoots.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Hewland

My son is off to Nottingham uni next month, so it occurred to me that on the occasional visit I could take in a shoot at a ground that I would likely not otherwise travel to. So on the basis of near Nottingham or on the way back home south, the likely ones seem to be Orston, Kibworth, Kegworth and Grange Farm. If anybody has opinions of ESP registered shoots at these (or one I’ve missed) it would be appreciated. 

Oh, one more thing, can I still wear my baseball cap or do I need a flat cap to shoot in Upnorthshire?

ta..

My youngest went to Nottingham. Good choice as it's one of the top 10 in the country but, before you go offending anyone...  It's not in the frozen north it's in the East Midlands and the local dialect is like a cross between Jasper Carrot and Walter Gabriel.

p.s. Should be okay with a baseball cap as it's pretty much chav central. :pleasantry:

My youngest went to Nottingham. Good choice as it's one of the top 10 in the country but, before you go offending anyone...  It's not in the frozen north it's in the East Midlands and the local dialect is like a cross between Jasper Carrot and Walter Gabriel.

p.s. Should be okay with a baseball cap as it's pretty much chav central. :pleasantry:
I consider AGL up north. 😆

I consider AGL up north. 😆
It's practically north of the arctic circle. 

I shot Orston twice last year at Reg shoots, one of them the national intercounties. Flat ground, lots of banks around it. I enjoyed the targets. Some fairly distant loopers and crossers needing some decent gaps. I recall a overhead and a rl from behind a shed that had some tricky angles.

Think they had a couple of trap and skeet layouts as well if you fancied a play on those.

Oh and I've shot Kibworth several times, but just as practice. They have two high banks with a 'valley' between them that they make good use of. Quartering downhill rabbits, crossers dropping down from the bank and stuff along the bottom well below your feet. There was also a stand with a high bank out front and on either side that they like to throw driven targets from.

Orston is good, they do run a mid week registered on a Thursday once a month as well (tomorrow actually) good ground and facilities, decent balance of targets, well worth a visit and plenty of weekend shoots, I really rate Orston highly.

Grimsthorpe (15 mins from the A1) is good for practise but no registereds. Park Lodge is OK but is a little bit too far north of Nottingham for you maybe. There is also Mount farm that do some fitasc just west of Doncaster, Cocket Farm near Mansfield for practise, NDGC for 50 registered or practise, and plenty of skeet and trap.

East of England shooting ground where John Lee is coaching is spalding way on which isn't too far removed from that way about an hour away. 

Kibworth seems to be making some improvement and has stayed registered shoots again now. 

Orston is good, they do run a mid week registered on a Thursday once a month as well (tomorrow actually) good ground and facilities, decent balance of targets, well worth a visit and plenty of weekend shoots, I really rate Orston highly.

Grimsthorpe (15 mins from the A1) is good for practise but no registereds. Park Lodge is OK but is a little bit too far north of Nottingham for you maybe. There is also Mount farm that do some fitasc just west of Doncaster, Cocket Farm near Mansfield for practise, NDGC for 50 registered or practise, and plenty of skeet and trap.

East of England shooting ground where John Lee is coaching is spalding way on which isn't too far removed from that way about an hour away. 

Kibworth seems to be making some improvement and has stayed registered shoots again now. 
Thanks.

Thursday could be good. He may not want me around on a weekend. 😆

Thanks.

Thursday could be good. He may not want me around on a weekend. 😆
You could well be cramping his style at a weekend, not sure what he'll be up to. Maybe algebra classes and bible reading group??? 🤔

They are usually the 4th or 3rd Thursday of every month and it's telephone entries and squaded, every hour on the hour. We usually try to finish work at a dinnertime and get across for a 2.00 squad, usually takes around 1 1/2 to 2 hours to shoot. 

My son is off to Nottingham uni next month, so it occurred to me that on the occasional visit I could take in a shoot at a ground that I would likely not otherwise travel to. So on the basis of near Nottingham or on the way back home south, the likely ones seem to be Orston, Kibworth, Kegworth and Grange Farm. If anybody has opinions of ESP registered shoots at these (or one I’ve missed) it would be appreciated. 

Oh, one more thing, can I still wear my baseball cap or do I need a flat cap to shoot in Upnorthshire?

ta..
Will, don’t forget the ferret.....

do I need a flat cap to shoot in Upnorthshire?

ta..
On the moors or driven pheasant , you certainly should wear a cloth cap, 

For clays , you should just wear your normal “ Pearly King” outfit  and do a bit of a dance sort of Dick van Dyke a la Mary Poppins  , before calling “ Pull” . Of course you may  have difficulty getting a jellied eel snack , or pie and liquor , so you might have to put up with a bacon or sausage sandwich . 

You will find us  lot “ Oop North”  , will have no problem understanding you , we are probably all unemployed or in prison watching endless repeats of “ The Sweeny”  and so are well accustomed to your dialect

Stereotyping ? Me ...........

For clays , you should just wear your normal “ Pearly King” outfit  and do a bit of a dance sort of Dick van Dyke a la Mary Poppins  , before calling “ Pull” . Of course you may  have difficulty getting a jellied eel snack , or pie and liquor , so you might have to put up with a bacon or sausage sandwich . 

You will find us  lot “ Oop North”  , will have no problem understanding you , we are probably all unemployed or in prison watching endless repeats of “ The Sweeny”  and so are well accustomed to your dialect

I’ve been watching Coronation Street and plan to fit in perfectly! I can do Ken Barlows accent. 

Here he is Screenshot_20190822-123407.png

ta..
I believe Nottingham Uni have their own clay shooting club based at Orston which has excellent facilities.

Kibworth is good too and as mentioned they have just started doing reg sporting the first Friday of the month.

Kegworth has plenty of shoots on but the facilities are poor.

Grange Farm is very popular and has regular reg Sporting shoots. The food there is good value.

Latest posts

Back