Clay Shooting Classic 2018

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markh701

Starts tomorrow at Southdown - anyone going? Both layouts are around the clubhouse and down the lane so no slog up over the hill! Let’s hope the weather holds until the end and all traps stay serviceable!

Friday.  First time (and only my second ever squadded shoot).  Southdown is a bit of a bogey ground for me.  At least it will be good practice without my falling average taking any more of a hammering!

Shot the Classic today. Weather was almost perfect with just a little mist in the morning and practicality no wind. By the afternoon it had brightened up nicely but no issues with sun. Did not seemed to be that many shooting today, at a rough guess probably about a 100 shooters. Certainly a lot less than when I shot it on the first day last year. As a result it flowed along nicely. On the morning lay out as we arrived on stand the last person from squad in front was finishing every time. In the afternoon the squad in front seemed to get away from us, so we wandered on to an empty stand all the way round. 

Have not been to Southdown for some months and have to say the ground was looking very well. Considering the comp is over 24 stands we only had one minor issue with a few no birds. 

As for the targets, as a humble B class shot  I thought they were excellent, nothing too extreme but nothing that easy. I felt I had to work hard all the way round. With it being 3 or 4 pair on each stand you to had to stay switched on. If you cocked it up (which I did!) you had to move on and get over it. 

All in all a very enjoyable days shooting. As I said, not that many shooting, so it flowed really nicely, no queues (which I hate) but at the same time I felt it lacked a bit of atmosphere. Can’t have everything I suppose. I am sure it will pick up on the Friday and Saturday.

Think I finished on 100 which is about 66%. Happy enough, really enjoyed it.

Good luck to all shooting later in week.

Shot it today. I thought the targets were really good, a nice mix and nothing extreme. Perhaps the hardest ones for me were the closest and the slowest!!!!! The set up reminded me of the Essex Masters, so if you enjoyed that then there’s no excuse. I think the final score for those who are at the competitive end of the spectrum will be quite high. I didn’t see today’s scoreboard but would have thought 147 was on. As for the rest of us mere mortals, there are plenty of opportunities to shake your head and wipe your brow in frustration!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back