Yet more DSQ's

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly!  There must be a proscribed and rationally enforced limit or no limit at all.  Otherwise, what's the point??  Games are defined by their rules,  they cannot exist rule-free

You cannot weigh assembled carts.  There is too much variation in component weight.  I've tried with a .01gm beam balance and it don't work.  Weighing the shot alone is the only method.  

Or did I misunderstand?
You misunderstand  Charlie.

You can most definitely differentiate an unopened over weight from an acceptable cartridge on a balance of the type I have shown above. The case primer, powder and wad are the most consistent part of the equation... you could weigh hundreds from the same supplier till the cows come home if you can find 50 mg difference from one to another the good on you, I very much doubt it. In my opinion they are not a credible part of the equation. But if you have any concern at all by all means weigh out 10 empty cases with primer and propellant against each other on a balance similar to the one shown above... if you can find one that is significantly lighter than any other use that as your standard.  Now the procedure would be as follows. Put a container on the right hand side of the balance and tare the balance until absolutely centre on the needle scale. Then set the balance with another 24.3g and then add lead shot from the open cartridges to the container on the right hand pan. when the needle is absolutely central on the top scale you have the max amount of shot allowed by the rules. Now remove the container and the tare weight from the balance and zero again to make certain the needle is central on the top scale. Now take the max load you just weighed shot together with the cartridge case you determined was the lightest (remember you need the whole case powder, primer wad and don't forget the bit you cut off to get the shot out)  and place then on the left hand side of the balance. To test the cartridges carefully place them one after the other onto the right hand pan of the balance. Any cartridge that is out of spec over weight will raise the balance and should be rejected and used for practice. That sounds like a lot of work but it is not and I could set the balance up in under a minute and be sorting cartridges in less than five. That balance is crude but can easily detect differences of 10 - 20 mg., in fact the needle scale in the middle is 100mg in ten mg increments so you could be very precise even with this boneshaker balance... one of which I have in my house on permanent loan from a Scottish University :)     I would put my shirt on this method being able to weed out any over weight cartridges.

Edit. remember the actual weight of the shot is unimportant so long as it is less than the max

Last edited by a moderator:
So does anyone know the names of all the shooters DQ'd this season and that brand of carts they were/are using?

inquiring minds, etc

So does anyone know the names of all the shooters DQ'd this season and that brand of carts they were/are using?

inquiring minds, etc
More to the point I would like to know just what mass of shot was found to be in the carts. Lets be honest 24.5 or 6 g could be a genuine factory mistake... 28g someone is at it!

Back