Would I be a philistine...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With respect to the fugly Italian side by side above , mans ingenuity to solve a problem that doesn’t exist never fails to amaze me .
I can just imagine at the next product development meeting ...

“ hey Giuseppe , this pig of a gun isn’t selling too well , any ideas ? “

“ Well Silvio , we already have the pistol grip trap stock , we have the raised rib , the beaver tail fore end , we’ve got the extended chokes ... hmmm perhaps if we turned the barrels through 90 degrees and called it the “ superposed “ ..... job sorted 

the very attitude that continues to relegate the SxS to the level of "toy"

shame on you

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember very few (if any) English guns have a stock bolt, the wood hold to metal is achieved via the top and bottom straps. This would make fitting another stock quite costly as it would entail a degree of 'fitting'.

...if I bought an English side x side and had an adjustable comb fitted to the stock?

Got an old DT10 hanging around for sale at Sporting Targets that doesn't seem to be getting much interest (probably because it's 28 inch barrels).  Rather than waiting for the perfect buyer to come along, I was thinking of maybe part exchanging it on a single trigger side by side that is up for sale elsewhere.  Want it for a bit of fun and maybe the odd sxs competition.  However, I know it's very unlikely to fit me off the shelf as my preference is to see a lot of rib and it'll have to be shortened / pitch altered as well.  If I get it, as well as getting the lop / pitch changes done I was also thinking of having an adjustable comb fitted.  I've never seen a sxs with an adjustable comb, is it not the done thing?
Who the hell cares? I shoot the sxs competition with a £50 gun. Do whatever needs to be done to get it to fit you. Saying a person who needs an adjustable comb shouldn't have one because it wasn't done in 1880 is just the kind of snobbery that keeps people out of the sport. 

Not sure about the single trigger. Where's the fun in that? 

I don't think I had an adjustable stock fitted on my latest sxs but I wouldn't put it past me as it was altered to fit. I had a rubber comb raiser on my previous sxs,.held on with electrical tape. The accuracy of the shot is the important part. 

the very attitude that continues to relegate the SxS to the level of "toy"

shame on you
No they are not toys , ( I’m talking English style guns here ) they are an extremely efficient machine , designed for the purpose of killing game , not breaking clay pigeons . About half my syndicate use side by sides , but they use tradition style guns , they don’t need a palm swell et al , In the right hands they do the job they were designed for . 

But honestly that Italian thing ...  

English game guns, or anyone else's for that matter, are ergonomically a factional improvement over an arbalest - the obvious origin of the design.  A properly configured ergonomically friendly stock on any type gun would be an improvement for any purpose.  It has always puzzled me why people will tolerate BS other than thru ignorance or some fuzzy minded claim to propriety.

But then those are your $ to spend as you see fit and how/what that might be is certainly no biz of mine.   :thumbsu:

Back