Winter glove suggestions..

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

I love my macwet gloves but they aren’t up to standing in the freezing cold, howling gale and horizontal rain that tonight’s pigeon roosting delivered..

All suggestions welcome, it’s taken 45 minute to thaw hands out so cost isn’t a consideration..

i just bought some winter golf gloves, long fleece cuff, insulated back, way warmer the the macwets. Mizuno on the bay 15 quid. Having shot them twice now for clays i think they are great.

Everyone I have asked this question to in the past always recommend Sealskins. 

At £50 they ain’t cheap, but then what is in this world of shooting?!

im thinking of investing in a pair for next winter. 

Brill, thanks, I’ve got some of those kicking around in a golf bag somewhere..

Everyone I have asked this question to in the past always recommend Sealskins. 

At £50 they ain’t cheap, but then what is in this world of shooting?!

im thinking of investing in a pair for next winter. 
Crikey, that isn’t cheap, but if they avoid stinging hand maybe they aren’t too expensive after all..

I love my macwet gloves but they aren’t up to standing in the freezing cold, howling gale and horizontal rain that tonight’s pigeon roosting delivered..

All suggestions welcome, it’s taken 45 minute to thaw hands out so cost isn’t a consideration..
I have several pairs ranging from Beretta fleece types to ordinary leather to water proof fleece lined ones bought from a sports shop and a thin slippery (useless) camo, all serve a purpose at times but the water proof one is the one I use most when it's really cold like it was today on the dairy farm where I spent several hours shooting vermin with my FAC air gun. I hate shooting shot guns in gloves especially clays where misses matter but having tried on the fairly thick and presumably warm Sealskinz they seemed perfectly suited to roost shooting etc, no doubt I'll get a pair soon enough. 

Absolutely, I always thought that golf stuff was a rip off... until I started shooting!
I have a few 'golf bits' and have used golf gloves since the 1970's. Did struggle sometimes to get a L & R to match though ! Thankfully someone realised that golfers have 2 hands and the winter gloves come in pairs.  I currently have 2 windproof and showerproof golf sweaters, superb for clayshooting.

I have these, and they are good. But not ideal for clays, and the magnetic bit that holds the shooting finger back is a pain, I keep pulling my hand out of my pocket with a cartridge stuck to it. I think they do a version with velcro, possibly a better bet. 

i have to say it wa the lack of velcro that attracted me to them, nothing worse than wiping a drip of your nose with the velcro (work of the devil), agree the magnet is a minor inconvenience but you kind of get used to it, i probably drop 1 out of a hundred cartridges and have used them throughout the game season and winter clay shooting, the biggest plus point is they keep your hands warm and dry, which really helps on those cold days

The old sealskins did use Velcro. 

Its the new model they brought I about 2 years ago that now have magnets instead. 

Shows how long I’ve been looking at getting a pair! Haha

its just justifying the £50 for a pair of gloves! I would only use them for pigeon shooting. 

I suffer from the cold on my extremities 😲.

I use golf gloves when it's not too chilly but swap over to Sealskinz when it gets really cold.

Got two pairs an old pair with Velcro and gaffer tape round them when I snagged them on on a barbed wire stock fence and a newer pair with magnets.

The go to pair are the gaffer tape repaired ones as they feel more comfortable.

Back