What's the answer to Ground closures

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosso

With another ground closing I presume noise issues. What can be done to keep them open.

Have competition shoots where everyone turns up in a three hour window to shoot on a Sunday had their day. Shoots like the RBSS tower, Churchill challenge, etc, spread over months the answer, low volumes of shooters, week days usage, no mad Sunday morning rush.

Should more be done regarding noise suppression, low noise shells, may be barrel design, acoustic barriers such as around motor ways. Indoor shoots as in Germany.

It seems we cannot go on like this.

Great point..Was Prescott closure due to noise? It seemed quite out of the way ..

I agree, I don't see why cartridges and guns can't be made quieter, is there a ballistic downside? Presumably they would need to be lower pressure so slower but benefit from less recoil and less potential hearing loss to users as a result?

Indoor shoots could be great (noisy though I guess) open later when evenings draw in, less environmental damage, not freezing cold and possibly a use for some of the brownfield sites and as such accessible to more people, meaning more shooters, meaning more of a voice for all of us.

Being a country bumpkin all my days ( its a lot of days) the noise issues I've known about locally have virtually all originated from souls who have re located from, in most cases dirty smelly noisy crime ridden towns and cities only to find that the country can also be a different kind of dirty smelly noisy and crime ridden environment and take it upon thier selves to create a utopia that ( bar in thier own idea of the world) simply doesn't or don't even exist. 

In the opinion that it's all how much the complaining body wishes to spend / knows which sympathetic ear(s)  to bend that ensure success or otherwise.

To close, the countryside as I know it can be a beautiful place, it's also workplace, living space and play ground for many and I for one wish that to continue, apologies for rant, 

Bear in mind if a ground has 7 days a week full planning permission on it , someone moves in locally and is offended by the noise it can still be closed down due to noise nuisance !!!! This is why we will never buy a full time ground 

We ALL need to look at our behaviour !

One of my local grounds that has been established for many many years faces closure because of the following:-

Last entries 11 a.m. a competitor arriving late drives very fast up the access road , endangering peoples lives (young girls and their parents who are attending to their horses).

The Farm owner , who earns a considerable part of his income from Equestrian stabling , and renting out fields , stops the speeding motorist and is then subjected to a foul mouthed torrent of abuse.

Upon which he comes to the shoot and gives the shoot tenant notice to quit .

Thank you very much fellow competitor.

Many years ago a ground that I used to shoot at did not open on a Sunday at all. I asked the guy who ran it why that was, his comment was...."if you really want to upset someone with noise, then a Sunday is always the best time to do it". That ground is still running, still not shooting on a Sunday as far as I know. They also put up banking to reduce the noise, which is not cheap of course, but at least they are still there!

I really do think that we the shooting public do not help ourselves.

We support grounds that have no toilets or any other basic facilities who charge the same entry fee as Premier grounds give or take a £5ver.

Our beloved National authority had the opportunity to buy Doveridge in Central England for £1.6 million years ago and declined, preferring to spend our funds on annual new computers,trips to New Zealand, and Dallas to have a look at a Library , Grassy Knoll, South Fork and a Golf course.

We had a fantastic shooting facility near Milton Keynes years ago, but because of lack of support it went bankrupt.

As long as we are prepared to drive down potholed farm tracks and pee up a tree , that's what we will continue to get.

i have witnessed some people behaving in idiotic ways that may affect our sport and spoken to some but they generally have a don't give a F*** attitude which leaves me wanting to make them,so i just end up frustrated by the whole situation.

when i have brought things up with shoot owners i invariably get asked if i have sad something to them and if not why not,well its not my job and why should i turn my attention to something which would distract me from what i am paying to do.

i was standing talking to a ground owner the other day and he looked up to see someone coming up his track i would say to fast rushing to make last sign on and he looked at his watch and said they would be lucky to make it no other comment,go figure?

as far as the cpsa wasting our money and seeming to show an interest in everything but shooting it infuriates me and i let them know at every available opportunity,time and money wasting bunch of idiots overly concerned with minutea and failing to see the big picture.

my computer is several years old and works fine..built in redundancy,i don't see why we should care whats happening in New Zealand or USA as its nothing to do with our country or sport ergo them just acting like our government going on jollies at our expense.

maybe we can have a vote of no confidence in them and force them to do what the shooter wants?

i suspect most people only join for the insurance and to shoot competitions,i don't think i have ever seen them represent us in any helpful way.

as far as peeing up a tree i can't say i have had to do that but i see where you are coming from

I've always wondered what sort of revenue grounds actually generate. If done well is it a real money maker or a lot more trouble than it's worth?

as far as the cpsa wasting our money and seeming to show an interest in everything but shooting it infuriates me and i let them know at every available opportunity,time and money wasting bunch of idiots overly concerned with minutea and failing to see the big picture.

my computer is several years old and works fine..built in redundancy,i don't see why we should care whats happening in New Zealand or USA as its nothing to do with our country or sport ergo them just acting like our government going on jollies at our expense.

maybe we can have a vote of no confidence in them and force them to do what the shooter wants?

i suspect most people only join for the insurance and to shoot competitions,i don't think i have ever seen them represent us in any helpful way.

as far as peeing up a tree i can't say i have had to do that but i see where you are coming from
Well I gave up comps last year and I'm considering not renewing my CPSA membership. I now only shoot practice, solely for fun and I've not missed the comps at all. I will probably join BASC, their insurance is good and they have good back up when it comes to legal issues relating shooting and gun ownership. BASC is also a much bigger organisation than the CPSA, some 140,000 members I think, HRH The Duke of Edinburgh is their patron, so from those angles alone they have more clout than the CPSA!

completely agree with this.

they were incredibly quiet on the lead shot debate, something I find extremely odd considering the amount of damage a lead shot ban would do to clay pigeon shooting as a whole.

you would think that they would have been shouting louder than any other organisation, but I barely saw anything from them. 

yes I thought the cpsa were quiet regarding the lead ammunition  debate ,   cpsa  should have bought orston shooting ground , bang in the middle of the country ,  they don't seem  very robust  defending our future sport .  

yes I thought the cpsa were quiet regarding the lead ammunition  debate ,   cpsa  should have bought orston shooting ground , bang in the middle of the country ,  they don't seem  very robust  defending our future sport . 
I seem to recall that BASC where not too vociferous either, apart from their previous Leader that is ! 

Remember that any shooting ground that installs earth banking to aide noise reduction, requires planning permission to do so. I know of 1 ground who were fighting a noise issue, made by ONE complainant, who were forced to remove the earth banks because of lack of planning permission. This was followed by the Council then taking noise readings !

When I was involved with the running of a ground, I often felt I was peeing into the wind rather than up a tree.

There's no easy answer to why grounds are closing. I think it's fair to say there's a myriad of different reasons. What's obvious is shooting grounds, and shooting in general, are caught in a perfect storm.

There's a swing generally against gun ownership amongst the general public. They're force fed the 'all guns are bad' line by the media and although thousands of miles away, the gun control debate in the US influences minds here. 

Planning and Environmental departments are slanted towards the complainant. It's true that all it takes is one complaint, however ridiculous, to place the shooting ground on the back foot. Many smaller grounds would rather close than face the prospect of a lengthy fight and potentially enormous bills. On top of this there's rising costs in fuel, rent and equipment

Our governing bodies, at a national level, are fairly useless in influencing the debate, whether it be about lead shot or anything else. The CPSA is a self serving organisation that exists largely to further its own interests. Their own members and the the vast majority of shooters we meet every weekend must also take their share of the blame. Even though most can see significant challenges facing the sport in the coming years very few are prepared to make their voice heard.

On the one hand the future seems bleak but, that said, there's no doubt that some grounds are doing very well and entries at the major events were up across the board last year. To some extent it seems shooters are choosing to spend their money at the big ticket events and shoots they know offer good value for money. 

As I see it, much depends on the lead debate. If lead it banned it will, without doubt, significantly affect the sport to the point where it'll no longer be a viable proposition for many ground owners. As far as disciplines and shooting grounds are concerned, I expect many straw bale shoots and those run on a less professional footing will close, either willingly or through unbearable pressure from governmental bodies. Sporting as a discipline will inevitably be hit the hardest as it requires a good deal of land, labour and equipment to run. I can see some sporting grounds switching to Sportrap in years to come as a means to lessen the bills. Trap and skeet disciplines will continue as now although looking long term there's perhaps scope for them to move indoors.

Whatever happens, i've no doubt the sport will look very different in 20 years time.

Last edited by a moderator:
will it end up like the free parties in the 90's

rock up to some farmer and offer him a wad of cash for the use of his feild,disclose the information to the chosen few to disseminate it to the waiting masses and be gone before the council offices open on the monday to receive the complaint.

farmer swears he was away for the weekend so no one to blame :angel:

Latest posts

Back