Westfield 120 Reg Sporting - Sunday 22nd March

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Pinnegar

Evening,

Is anyone on here shooting at this?

I've been shooting for 4 weeks now and never entered a shoot. Is this going to be a tricky layout which will crush any hope I have of shooting in competitions or will it be fairer?

Any tips for first shoot? Do you go do 10-20 birds to warm up?

Firstly, I would say that it's a fantastic ground, excellent rolling hills etc. Great clubhouse, well run. This should be where you are a regular as time goes on.

Tbh I wouldn't go if you have only been shooting four weeks. Four months then yes. Many on here will encourage you and say that you should have blind confidence and enjoy the learning curve. But I would find yourself hitting at least 60% on softer shoots before you attempt this level if you have the sort of personality that won't enjoy a sharp stiff lesson. (Most people are like this but won't admit it).

As I say, great place but a degree of experience required IMO.

And no.. Shooting is a weird sport, where there is no warm up. Straight in. There is sometimes a pool shoot, a small side competition, but it's usually harder than the main event and can act as a discourager, especially to newcomers..

Sorry to drift here but iv been shooting for about 3 months now my average is 67 out of 100 would you say I'm ready to start competition shooting or give it a little longer.

william what are you like , you know aswell as anyone i set up shoots that are fair for all calibre of shooter , instead of using the words easy or hard i use variety , interesting and entertaining but you wont find silly scores coming in where they shouldnt be .

if my youngest son can go around at 11 years old and shoot 40 to 50 percent there aint a lot wrong 

come and have a go and i assure you if you shoot this type of course regularly you will improve 

steve

As will said, Westfield is known for fair but stiff targets. If you shoot well there anywhere else should be o.k. Depends on your personality, I will be there first thing if you want to come round with us, if you have nothing on then why not come and have a look and make your mind up on the day, My son took his 28 bore there after only a few goes and dispute not hitting all that much he still straightedge a stand and had a great day

Hi rdp, I started shooting about a year ago and started shooting registered shoots in October. If I had the time again I would have jumped straight in.

My first experience of Westfield was four months after I started shooting and I got 36/100. I didn't take the "build up to it" approach at all but I did have an experienced shooter (husband) with me and I didn't give a flying fxxx what my score was, who saw it or me shoot for that matter so I wasn't worried to just try. I think it does depend on how you feel about shooting perhaps a cxxp score in front of others, I think this affects more men than women but then there are more of you.

I love Westfield, I still only just get over half marks but given the quality and range of targets I get to shoot there sets me up well for other shoots I go too. Life is short, if you can live with being at the bottom for a while (or longer in my case) then go for it.

Beechin - stop waiting for the magic non-existent accepted score and go for it, you'll love it.

Think I'm going to. whens the first one in April as I'm busy untill then. close to the east midlands way aswell.

So at Prescott and Cotswold Clay Club I tend to shoot between 45-55%. With that in mind I won't be upset to get 35-45% at Westfields and will use it as a learning session to see what I 'could' be shooting against as my game progresses.

It would also be good to see some of the forum members and put faces to names!

Go on CPSA web site. Type in Westfield see the scores, then decide if it is for you.
I have shot it twice in the last 6 months (its a bit of a drive) first time shot terrible down to me.
Second time down to the shoot, to much waiting around, started at first shot I think 10.00 finished 13.30 nice hot sunny day, felt myself just dozing off, zzzzz, could not concentrate.
This is a good shoot, really good targets,120 birds takes longer than 100, so lots attend it hence long queues, this was the case for me, things may have changed.
I will gladly go back but will take plenty of water and chocolate to keep me fired up.

Its a credit to the course setter that it is so popular.

I go regularly and it is extremely popular but I don't feel I have to queue as such, maybe a few people in front of me but nothing ridiculous.  Time then to have a chat, catch up etc.  I would say there are very few times where we have been "held up" so to speak.   Also depends on what time of day you shoot as with most shoots.

Well geographically it is the closest ground to me so I will go along, even if I choose to shoot targets only.

If anyone wants company when going around that won't take the piss too mercilessly then I wouldn't mind. I'm hoping to meet with Hardfocus whilst there so if the pair of us are welcome in a squad it would be welcome.

RDP I shoot with HardFocus quite a bit and shooting similar averages, will drop him a txt. PM me ur number if you want to arrange times etc

Evening,
I've been shooting for 4 weeks now and never entered a shoot. Is this going to be a tricky layout which will crush any hope I have of shooting in competitions or will it be fairer?
Get it shot.
Enjoy it.
Let your journey commence.

Evening,

cracking ground and very local to me too. It was the first place I shot a reg (about 6 weeks after getting my SGC). I didn't do very well but it was before I had a proper lesson. Mind you, i still don't do very well...... I really enjoyed it and would advise anyone to try it. One thing though, forget averagesscores etc, just go and shoot it. I'm still not very good but I always walk around there with a smile, surely that is why we all shoot?..

I might even make it along on Sunday as it'll be the last time I can shoot for 3-4 months.....

All good advice... will add my tuppence worth. 

There will never be a 'right score' for you to step up to the next level, you'll have an average of 60 and then you'll say 65, and then you'll say 70 - it will go on. 

I'd get stuck in, damn the score and have a great time.  It is one of the finest grounds around for regular registered shoots - the targets are always to a good standard, and will always provide a good test. 

Most of all though, it's a beautiful part of the country and is always busy with a great crowd of competitive and collegiate shooters - the sooner you go, the sooner you will have a great time. 

Good luck... enjoy!

Latest posts

Back