weight loss & it affects on shooting.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen a few big guys suffering with really bad shoulder problems from shooting, more than the smaller builds if I'm honest. Could well be just conincidence, but would a lighter frame move backwards more absorbing recoil where a heavier person would possibly not move as much, resulting in more of the energy being absorbed by the shoulder......disclaimer ** This is probably utter bollocks**

I have seen a few big guys suffering with really bad shoulder problems from shooting, more than the smaller builds if I'm honest. Could well be just conincidence, but would a lighter frame move backwards more absorbing recoil where a heavier person would possibly not move as much, resulting in more of the energy being absorbed by the shoulder......disclaimer ** This is probably utter bollocks**
A very good point, I know one or two big guys who suffered shoulder ache from recoil as well, I know one average build guy who got such horrendous neck ache from recoil that despite being a very very promising shot had to stop altogether. Recoil does affect people in different ways, it catches up with everyone though so it's worth not being too dismissive of it even if it appears not to be a problem.

What the argument is here is on average being bigger is more conducive to absorbing sustained fatigue and crucially, being big and powerful in simple terms allows for more control of the gun and makes it easier at least on some stands to acquire the second bird more easily.

Tinker bell said:
Upper body strength is the best IMHO....being able to hold and control the gun efficiently leads to better results.

(Ninja mode.....that is what I want and have not got :wink: )
agree with this and strength shouldn't be confused with size.

Last edited by a moderator:
A very good point, I know one or two big guys who suffered shoulder ache from recoil as well, I know one average build guy who got such horrendous neck ache from recoil that despite being a very very promising shot had to stop altogether. Recoil does affect people in different ways, it catches up with everyone though so it's worth not being too dismissive of it even if it appears not to be a problem.

What the argument is here is on average being bigger is more conducive to absorbing sustained fatigue and crucially, being big and powerful in simple terms allows for more control of the gun and makes it easier at least on some stands to acquire the second bird more easily.
not heard of any of the Olympic/commonwealth shooters (from any of the countries) also being gut barging champions too?.... Lots of average/slender builds, mind.

not heard of any of the Olympic/commonwealth shooters (from any of the countries) also being gut barging champions too?.... Lots of average/slender builds, mind.
Another interesting point, the Olympic disciplines do require volume shooting but the shots are spread over a longer time span, for example with Trap you very often fire a single shot with at least a minute or more to recover, the most you get to shoot at Skeet in any time frame is 4 (5 if you miss), ESP often has a minimum of 8 though often enough 10 shots all in well under 2 minutes.

Also remember the Olympic ones use 24g, very much less taxing than a half decent 28g.

Another interesting point, the Olympic disciplines do require volume shooting but the shots are spread over a longer time span, for example with Trap you very often fire a single shot with at least a minute or more to recover, the most you get to shoot at Skeet in any time frame is 4 (5 if you miss), ESP often has a minimum of 8 though often enough 10 shots all in well under 2 minutes.

Also remember the Olympic ones use 24g, very much less taxing than a half decent 28g.
i would say that the repitition not the time delay between shots has more of an effect on recoil problems. there may be a spread during competition in the Olympic disciplines but look at how many shells those guys get through in training. Amber has probably shot more in her competitive career than I will in my lifetime. Also, how many times shooting a ESP reg have you had to wait for a number of minutes (I hear at some shoots it can be a very lengthy time)between stands? Lots of time to recover..

there may be a spread during competition but look at how many shells those guys get through in training. Amber has probably shot more in her competitive career than I will in my lifetime.
Unless they train alone the time spread should be the same, even alone they would probably pace the same as if in comp.

Also, how many times shooting a ESP reg have you had to wait for a number of minutes (I hear at some shoots it can be a very lengthy time)between stands? Lots of time to recover..
Amber may well be using 21g loads in practice, there's 21 and 24 named after her. Waiting does happen in ESP particularly the bigger shoots but you still have to fire off a bigger string when the time comes, it is this larger number in a shorter span that does the damage. Often you'll go from stand to stand with hardly a real wait.

To keep and build upper body strength I carry every day things around as if I'm trying to build my arm muscles up (if that makes any sense), as if I'm curling weights in a gym,

get of the sofa not using your arms, I'm 58 and still have a lot of muscle definition, I don't have a six pack but I'm solid. I walk up stairs and don't take lifts. You will be surprised  how fit you can get.

Tinker bell said:
Yes but it is the impact on the shooting time.

I never get knackered at trap for exactly the reason that Hammy says. One shot (maybe two) then a rest whilst 5 others fanny on with their set up routines.

Now when I am in a sporting cage and 5 pairs ..with your arms up in the air...I get knackered...when i first come back in the winter. Only now after a few months are my arms getting used to it. You seem to use different muscles in the shoulder to elbow range...it was killing for weeks. Now they are getting used to it. But the upper body strength really comes into its own on the Stratstone challenge because it is quite along time that you are waving around in the air. I am always totally knackered after the first 25 on the tower.

So ....although a lots of Sporters may be a bunch of whinging pussies compared to trap (Joooooooohhooooke) my guess is that the top ones are actually (though it kills me to say it)....fitter...in the upper body range.....because they need to use a lot more muscles.

There ...i have said it.....so i am off to sit in a dark corner and recover now :laugh:
im sure you are correct in saying that muscles adapt to the different types of disciplines.

The OP mentioned the effects of weight loss on shooting. In my view it is the change of weight that has most effect, not whether the shooter is light or heavy.

I can say that changing weight is a complete nightmare to deal with. I lost about 4 to 5 stone over an 18 month period and also lost a huge amount off my scores. Constantly tweaking gun fit as your weight changes doesn't help massively as by the time you've got used to the new fit/sight picture, your weight has changed again. It's taken me about 6 months of stable weight and 7,000 shells to get my form back.

A friend of mine, lost only about 10% of his body weight and it took him from the top of class A down to the bottom of class C. He hated his newfound lack of ability so much he put the weight back on within a month!

I am working on improving my wrists.....................................99 times, change hands, don't care if I do go blind !!!!

Tinker bell said:
Errrrrr........those with the disposable income ....have already worked their balls off to get that said disposable income.....just saying ...!!

It has not appeared by magic ......and if there is a 'money tree' out there.....can we all take cuttings from it :wink:
Sorry but got to say this Nic as your post sort of implied that if you don't have adequate disposable income then you can't be working hard enough!  You probably didn't mean it like that but anyway -

There are plenty of people who work their balls off but the majority can't be at the top of the pile and they have to work for someone else perhaps not enjoying as much as they deserve.  That's capitalism!  It doesn't lessen their effort and just working hard does not lead to loads of disposable income.  There are also those who work their butts off but just don't have the nouse to succeed! 

I think there could be a slight advantage in carrying a bit of weight in shooting and not just absorbing recoil, like darts the bigger the mass the steady the platform

I think there could be a slight advantage in carrying a bit of weight in shooting and not just absorbing recoil, like darts the bigger the mass the steady the platform
There are many unseen aspect to this, particularly with ESP which can also entail carrying a fair bit of weight around and of course the really good shots do 2 or more shoots in a day quite often so you need stamina as well.

Think also of the sequence of events once in the stand; even if your routine does not include ghost mounting at the point of pick up, you will still have lifted a gun of around 8.5 lbs from chest to eye line some 100 times. It's the cumulative affect of lifting, carrying and absorbing recoil.

People have mentioned GD but hinted as he's an exception we shouldn't use him as an example, why not ? He can often be seen starting a full round with enough cartridges in his pockets  :pilot: so that he can just carry his gun and nothing else. How many people can do that and not be bothered with the weight ?

Tinker bell said:
You are quite right ....you got my post wrong....you have not understood it.

Suggest you read fully what I was replying to.
I'm sure you were replying to my post here, but I must say you have totally mis-understood the implications I was inferring.

I was actually trying to pay Hamster a compliment and reassure him his slim wrist size has no bearing on his skill as a shooter.

It's clear now though that I must add 'money' to my list of taboo subjects never to be mentioned, along with religion, sex, regional locations, expensive cartridges, Kreighoffs and Perazzis, as there is always someone who will take umbridge to my comments.

I wish people would not take me so seriously, I'm only trying to find the humour in a situation, not trying to offend or ruffle any feathers.   :biggrin:

So apologies Tinker Bell if you thought I was meaning something I was not. :thumbsu:

You said it loads of times Mike.

Some people find other peoples humour difficult to understand especially as they do not know who they are.

Most on here have never met and a lot have no sense of humour.

My humour is a bit like yours sometimes blunt,(I mean as an example look what that cow milker from Glasgow writes whilst driving his tractor around the yard) but you know for every one that does not get it, loads do.

So carry on.

You said it loads of times Mike.

Some people find other peoples humour difficult to understand especially as they do not know who they are.
Thanks Rosso. I'm making it a vocation to meet as many of the people on here that interest me the most.

I do have a list, but don't want Ips to think I'm copying him. Mine is a happy list???

P.S. You are on my list!!  :thumbsu:   Did I say I've met Ips?

Latest posts

Back