Vintage Weekly - Claybirding The Hard Way

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mortum

In this week's article, originally published by Gun World magazine in June 1969 issue and contributed by Derek Partridge, the reader is immersed into late 1960’s British shooting culture. The author describes his visit to the West London Shooting Grounds, Britain's leading shooting school, and his encounter with the owner Richard Watson. Included in this article is Derek’s detailed account of an English gun fitting session and a tour around “clay pigeon layout”, virtually unknown to American shooters of that era. You can read Derek's article here:

Claybirding The Hard Way
http://www.proshootergear.com/blogs/shooters-blog/18275059-claybirding-the-hard-way

Check it out!

Now that is a piece of history. It took me back to the time as a 7 year old (in 1969) when I waited excitedly for my Dad to bring home the Shooting Times Magazine which contained many such articles, some of which ended up inside school exercise books so I had something interesting to read when everyone else was discussing algebra.

Thank you for posting that.

I loved the first photo showing the shooter and his coach with the "Head Trapper". If only they knew then what sort of coaches he and his brother would turn out to be? :biggrin:

Superb article and pictures. Takes me back to shooting there in the early 70's. An interesting point that Derek makes about 'pitch', he also states that altering pitch can affect the (sorry about this) P.O.I. of a shotgun. I can remember suggesting altering the pitch on a gun to someone on here a while ago, who was struggling with a gun that was shooting high. I was shot down in flames by several 'experts'. The reason I suggested it was because I have altered the pitch on my trap gun which now shoots a foot lower, so I KNEW it worked.

Great article and takes me back.

Thank you.

Nostalgia Rules Okay!

Great to see photographs of my two friends and mentors.

Interesting bit about seeing target correctly being of utmost importance as many of us have eluded to many times.

Latest posts

Back