Upavon, 5th May

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teepee1234

Turned up early for tea and pig, and met Robo, Tiptop and young Tom.

Nice mixture of targets again, a few battues and chondelles mixed in with fast crossers, a few dollys and rabbits - had a good time, although I dropped far too many silly ones, as usual!  Funny how you always tell yourself to concentrate on EVERY target, only to forget that when you're in the cage! Doh!

Biggest problem today - and it was exactly the same the last time I shot it a month ago, was stand 7, in the top corner behind the little wood.  Two traps, this time sending a driven midi and a slightly left-quartering midi on report (the traps were sat side by side on hay bales, and moved around a bit...!).  There was a queue to start with, just like last time, and we watched no-bird after no-bird from the first trap.  The trapper was trying to contact someone on his mobile but couldn't, and confusion reigned.  Finally, someone fixed it... and bugger me if the second stopped working!  (it transpires that they forgot to turn it back on when they filled it...!).  Took another age to get someone to sort that one, too.  An hour to get through that stand...yup, one hour!  On to stand 6, and another half hour to get through.

Breakdowns are an accepted part of sporting, sh*t happens, but the good guys get it back on track quickly.  My gripe is that the trappers couldn't contact anyone when they happened!  I know the ground has radios that they use for game days, so why not use them for clay days??  Rocket science it ain't! 

Far too many 5 pair stands too, adding to the hold-ups and queues.  It took our squad of four well over 3 hours to complete.  We were planning on hopping over to Wylye to shoot the 75 bird charity shoot, but time ran out on us.

I used to love this place, beautiful setting, Sean Ponting targets, good grub... but I won't be rushing to go back until they've sorted out what are obviously maintenance issues, and their communications.

After all that, I was happy to get a 7 at the beginning of my score after some shabby performances in recent months.

Great to shoot with the boys as always, had a chance for a quick chin-wag with Gnasher in the clubhouse, saw Sleepy and Jason at a distance, and Radrac was leading C class when we left - good shooting matey!.  All in all, a good day spoilt by crap maintenance.

*sigh*

Yep been waiting for some good weather to come so we can get out and enjoy shooting even more.

As you say some great targets set by Sean but the day slightly spoiled by the break down on stand seven.

Seems to be in that corner the cross over point for the clockwise/anti clockwise people and the traps go down, just seems to be a bad coincidence that it is always there?

Still finished with a 7 at the front again so not to bad.

Yep .. a good squad today , shame we never got to Wylye for the charity shoot as we planned.

I second your thoughts on the day teepee mate, I won't be in a hurry to get back there either ! .. that was far to painful again today! :(
I kind off lost interest after that stand 7! that's just far to long to have to wait !
I ended up on a 74 .. but it could have been more !!

break downs happen on all and every shoot, and I also agree that may-be today some communication issues, me and my dad shot around started at 10 and in having tea at 12:15! we didn't experience any problems apart from stand 7 that was missing a few first birds! I believe they had to replace one whole trap on this stand, and for forgetting to turn a trap back on is human error!

A good turn out and a very good set up again, I spent time teaching my daughter today her first ever cpsa reg shoot, I managed a 81 so very happy and will be back! :)

Well all sounds another frustrating day again but good targets set by sean... :) how did sleepy get on the old Gloucestershire stalker..;)

Yep been waiting for some good weather to come so we can get out and enjoy shooting even more.

As you say some great targets set by Sean but the day slightly spoiled by the break down on stand seven.

Seems to be in that corner the cross over point for the clockwise/anti clockwise people and the traps go down, just seems to be a bad coincidence that it is always there?

Still finished with a 7 at the front again so not to bad.
Do you think you cracked this now tiptop another shoot ticked off the list perhaps ? sounds like it may have put you in good stead for the Doveridge trip ! may have to have a flutter on you in the sweep along with RF and CH ? for my selection

Don't know mate getting more consistent of late. :hunter:

I put that radrac in for the C class gamble. ;)

This is what has put me off Upavon. Always queues and breakdowns around the stands by the wood! I have shot there three times and each time has been the same. On the last occasion it took 1 3/4 hours,to shoot 2 stands!

me chipper and the wiltshire duster arrived here later than normal, thinking it may have been busy early on.car park well full. scores on the board left little to play with for the 2 of us in AA  :fie:  we could see plenty of shooters stood around on the far R-H side of the shoot so time for a bit of grub. still busy when we got to first std missed 5 clays infront on my first 4 stds,with open chokes and skeet shells ! bit of head shaking going on because chipper was only 1 down !!! screwed in the Briely 3/8 in both barrels, out come the Vipers and I think the dust got into chippers eyes big time. :pilot:  felt it was way softer than the last one but a bounty is a bounty 94 for me 91 for chipper !!! really thought I left 3-4 out there, and my thoughts were realised when HG came in on 99....................we took nearly 3hrs to shoot round, lots of AAA class scores on the board, personally thought birds were fine but maybe too many too close ?  

Turn up at 9.30 but lady on desk said wouldn't start selling cards till 10 which I thought was a bit odd.

Thought I could get round quick as I was on my own but stand 7 broke while I was waiting. Stood there for 45 minutes while they fixed it. Was first up when it was ready to go and surprised myself (and the big crowd watching) by shooting 9/10. Dropped the driven in the last pair

I seem to be able to hit the tough targets but miss average ones. Got all the orange going away on that corner stand but missed that dozy teal 3 times!

Then big queues for my last 3 stands so finished at 12.30

Shot 78. Anyone know how that was in Ladies? (Cheryl shot in AA)

Forgot to mention - the reason there were so many 5 pair stands was 3 trappers failed to turn up for work ( heavy Saturday night?) so they had to reduce the stands by 2

Forgot to mention - the reason there were so many 5 pair stands was 3 trappers failed to turn up for work ( heavy Saturday night?) so they had to reduce the stands by 2
I will find out for you! did you shoot the lay out in reverse order? :)

break downs happen on all and every shoot, and I also agree that may-be today some communication issues, me and my dad shot around started at 10 and in having tea at 12:15! we didn't experience any problems apart from stand 7 that was missing a few first birds! I believe they had to replace one whole trap on this stand, and for forgetting to turn a trap back on is human error!

A good turn out and a very good set up again, I spent time teaching my daughter today her first ever cpsa reg shoot, I managed a 81 so very happy and will be back! :)
Looks like you were lucky with timing.  I agree that breakdowns happen as I said, but when the ref has no way of letting someone know the trap is down and we have to wait for 30 minutes each time before someone is even notified, that's just plain bad management.  Forget to turn a trap on?  Pretty close to unforgiveable in my opinion.  Replace the trap?  Poor maintenance.

If some refs didn't show up, then that explains the 5 pair stands, but I'm still going to lay off this one for a while, which saddens me.

Oh, and well shot, Tash.  :hunter:

Sometimes maybe 1 trapper/scorer may not turn up. But three?

This will have quite an impact on this shoot reading the threads. Broken traps with poor comms when trying to get resolved., I queued for 35 minutes on one stand and by that time I was in the cage, the interest had gone at 3.20pm! Hats off to the young lad scoring, he must of wished he had stayed in bed with the other 3!

More stands of 8 and 6 needed to ease congestion in my opinion, if staffing allows. Traps need a good maintenance programme also.

I think Upavon may suffer from shooters not turning up, let alone trappers after the feedback seen from last 2 Registereds. :fie:

Let's hope Sean and the team can sort it.

Stew

Back