Unannounced visits from the police?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So they just turn up on the off chance you happen to be in!  Do they leave a calling card!   All for safety and security but this may just turn out to be a monumental waste of time (police) and money (ours).

Brilliant, what a wonderful idea. Why not waste a police offivers time just on the off chance that someone is home ! It really does make me wonder who thinks of these ideas, do they have a group of 3 year old children picking ideas for them to try ?

Would I need to ask to see a Police persons firearms or shot gun license before handing them a gun to inspect them? 

It probably gives them the power to be able to just turn up somewhere they may already suspect is suspicious.  I have zero problem with them inspecting me. 

No problem in principle but open to abuse however in my experience there are some real sphincters among the lower ranks, I'm thinking mainly among the sergeants working out of rural stations.

No problem in principle but open to abuse however in my experience there are some real sphincters among the lower ranks, I'm thinking mainly among the sergeants working out of rural stations.

sweeping_generalization_sticker_bumper.jpg

They are welcome anytime at my home and if I am in I will happily unlock the cabinet.my area has handed over firearms to g4s to save money so if they are now going to pay the ordinary policeman to do extra visits then surely this will negate any savings.or perhaps a job for the unpaid hobby bobby's. My farm buildings have been targeted by intruders several times over the last few years and the police have been unable to attend due to shortage of manpower.I believe it is a bit on the strong side to bring us into the umbrella of terrorism which is obviously the tack they will take.as with all government the only way to tackle gun crime is to beat the law abiding legally held firearms and ignore the criminals.

I don't have a problem with someone coming to the house to check my security arrangements, unannounced or not.  In fact, if it is a productive visit, I wouldn't mind at all, as reviewing my arrangements every so often cannot be a bad thing to beat complacency.  I'd like the confidence to be sure I'm safe with these things.

However, what I really find a touch misguided, is the way it is couched in anti-terrorism/criminal language.  I'm sure they'd have a lot more support for this sort of visit on the basis of "is your kit stashed away safely", but on what I interpret to be "are you lending your guns to potential terrorists, Sir?" I am inclined to agree with Sian and Tobster about wasting time and resources...

I to have no issue with inspections, 

what I do have an issue with is the equivalent of cold calling or fishing.

Plain clothes guy or girl turns up shows me some ID (that I have no way of proving is real) and asks to be let in to do an inspection, says I have failed and they will have to remove my guns until I fix the issue and can be reinspected.

I could now be putting a gun in the hand of a criminal or terrorist! 

If someone from your bank called you and started asking for your details, passwords etc, would you hand them over?

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife just panicked saying I don't know where your keys are to show them the guns in the cabinet. I replied that is the appropriate reply my dear :)

Plain clothes guy or girl turns up shows me some ID (that I have no way of proving is real) and asks to be let in to do an inspection, says I have failed and they will have to remove my guns until I fix the issue and can be reinspected.

If someone from your bank called you and started asking for your details, passwords etc, would you hand them over?
Mmm.....that's a good point actually. Mind you I think the police know who they want to target and will already have some pretty good reason for suspecting something is not quite right.

My wife just panicked saying I don't know where your keys are to show them the guns in the cabinet. I replied that is the appropriate reply my dear :)
I always have my key with me, I do have a spare key but it's not in the house and only I know where it is.

This is an old trick of there,s BUT its absolutely correct that your mrs should not know were your keys are for many many reasons.

this is an excellent point, the visit should be made in advance and from a tel no that you can verify is indeed the rossers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back