Try it all or stick with one discipline?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEM62

I am new to shooting.  I had a couple of 'have a go' sessions at a DTL club before obtaining my SGC and gun.  I have now completed the first two modules of the Shotgun Skills Course which was at the Southdown Gun Club and also spent a very enjoyable morning at the A1 shooting ground. 

I would imagine that, as a new shooter, I am looking for consistency as a basis on which to improve my skills.  So my question is, should I try multi disciplines or stick to one thing until I am hitting clays a bit more reliably?  (Or even just hitting clays!!)    

Personally - I would try a bit of everything if you are unsure. 

I started out only ever wanting to shoot Sporting - but after a while I tried some other disciplines... it's good to see everything on offer!

I'm still resolutely a sporting fan, but occasionally will try a round of DTL or something as some variety!

As Matt says, try it all as it is personal choice. I could not understand in a million years why anybody would want to focus on anything other than sporting and about 80% of shooters are the same. But that's my personal view and there is no right or wrong.

If you do choose sporting, for sure, there are skills that can be honed from skeet and trap that will help with your sporting.

I agree with the above. Try it all as you may find that you have a liking for one discipline and shoot it better (for whatever reason)

Try it all and I love most of it. Majority ESP for me but the only thing not tried is Helice but I will one day - just seem to be in the wrong place when the Have a go days come around.

Dare I suggest that BEFORE you try it all, you return to A1 shooting ground, book a couple of lessons and ask the opinion of your Coach. Judging by the some of the comments from our Trapeeze artists, if someone in the next County farts it becomes grounds for a cry of "BAULK" , so God help a beginner joining the same squad !!!!!     :spiteful:

Sorry I'm thick Westley I don't understand what you mean.

Try as many as you can then if your serious stick to one. From my experience very few people are able to excel at any discipline if they dabble in others (a few notable exceptions of course)

If your not that competitive then disregard the above and shoot whatever takes your fancy. Above all enjoy.

I also hoot at Southdown, only done ES so far but am hitting double what I did when starting, not bothered about other disciplines........................yet!!!!!!

I am new to shooting. I had a couple of 'have a go' sessions at a DTL club before obtaining my SGC and gun. I have now completed the first two modules of the Shotgun Skills Course which was at the Southdown Gun Club and also spent a very enjoyable morning at the A1 shooting ground.

I would imagine that, as a new shooter, I am looking for consistency as a basis on which to improve my skills. So my question is, should I try multi disciplines or stick to one thing until I am hitting clays a bit more reliably? (Or even just hitting clays!!)
As others have said, shop around a bit.

Do remember that some of the trap disciplines, have very specific skills and techniques, which take time to learn, but you should certainly see decent enough results.

Though I tend to stick to sporting these days, I think there is always a place for a bit of Skeet. This is especially true for beginners, due to the fundamental skills it teaches.

Another one for trying everything :)

A good day for me is some skeet, sprting and a bit of OT

as they say,  "dont knock it untill youve tried it."

:santa:

I have been shooting for about a year and I generally shoot ESP which is a very social experience generally. Compak is also great fun a good challenge. When shooting on my own I enjoy the solo technical challenge of DTL.

As said above. I'd try them all and you will probably gravitate to one or two disciplines. This year I want to try ABT and maybe UT

Give them all a go, you'll find some you particularly enjoy and others you wouldn't miss and some you'll never get a chance to try unless you live darn sarf &or are loaded (Helice?)

Latest posts

Back