Trigger pulls

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonix

So after reading a few different threads recently, I have seen/read quite a few people commenting on good or bad trigger pulls on guns. There is speak of "trigger jobs" being done on some guns to improve them, and some particular makes seem to have "superior" trigger pulls.

My question is, are we talking about a REALLY subtle difference here?!

I ask because I own 4 shotguns varying in quality and type from a Hatsan pump, to a miroku, to a CG maxum, and I can't really notice anything different?! You just point the gun, think to yourself "I want to fire now..", and the gun goes bang and hopefully you hit what you're aiming at.

I am still relatively new to the sport so maybe this means I don't notice, or maybe the trigger pull is something I never really consciously "think" about when shooting a target?

Am I just weird, or just not experienced enough yet to care?!

Maybe I'm just lucky that all my guns have particularly good triggers!? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think some people are more sensitive than others.I never notice any difference in shotgun triggers but I like my rifle triggers at 2 to 3 lb and it really puts me off if they are outside this.

Get much outside of 3-4lbs on a sporting shotgun and you will have something uncomfortable to use. You could get used to it, but it can't be good..

After shooting your CG for some time, pick up a Benelli Semi Auto Supersport and the difference in trigger quality will immediately become apparent. I am lucky enough to shoot a Perazzi and the trigger pulls are just sublime. Tried a mates Benelli out on Sunday and I struggled point blank with the concept of pulling the trigger. I guess it's all about muscle memory and my little brain has got too used to the amount of effort needed to shoot the P gun.

MM

So does my CG have what is considered to have a "good" trigger pull?! I know it ain't no Perazzi of course, but still a good mid range gun methinks?!

You can get used to average pulls, semi auto's usually have distinctly poor pulls compared to OU guns and when you go from average to really good the difference is noticeable but whether it costs you targets is debatable. 

Like Chippy I like my rifles to have really crisp and lightish pulls because accuracy does suffer with mediocre or even average triggers there.

Had Nigel Teague sort mine a few weeks back when my barrels were in having work done.

My 682 was giving stupid pulls at 6-7lb, now they are bang on 3.5lb and feel a hell of a lot better.

Interesting subject never really noticed a problem with my miroku or any other shotgun come to think of it but I guess considering I have had some significant work done on my Mk38 lately (comb raiser made from a cereal box and electrical tape plus balancing comprising 10 ounces of fishing weights rammed up its back side)

I suppose I should finish with some trigger work.

Interesting subject never really noticed a problem with my miroku or any other shotgun come to think of it but I guess considering I have had some significant work done on my Mk38 lately (comb raiser made from a cereal box and electrical tape plus balancing comprising 10 ounces of fishing weights rammed up its back side)

I suppose I should finish with some trigger work.
Get the Dremmel out Shaun. You know it makes sense???  :sarcastic:

Trigger pulls are more important than you might think. The harder it is to pull the trigger the more likely you are to pull the barrels off the target. If it is too light then you are at risk of firing the gun when you're not ready or mean to. A light trigger pull for an O/U is about 3 to 3.5 lbs and a heavy pull would be anything more than about 4.5 lbs. Some people even like the pull on the second barrel to be different from the first! It is a basic gunsmithing job to improve on what you have on most standard mass produced guns and even just tightening up the trigger and removing the slack will improve the feel of the gun.

Imo creep or rather not having any is more important than weight unless it gets to really heavy.

Well the trigger on my Browning is definitely not right variable pull weight and it does cost me targets so it of to the smiths today to see if he can sort it out!

I agree but many off the shelf guns like Brownings and Beretta's do have creep. It's easy to get rid of that creep though as i say.
The trigger on the eell is fabulous however the trigger on my std DT10 is even better in fact it is sublime.

I have only ever had one beretta with bad trigger and that was a DT10X which went back numerous times but was never repaird to my satisfaction, I detest creep on a trigger.

Imo creep or rather not having any is more important than weight unless it gets to really heavy.I agree but many off the shelf guns like Brownings and Beretta's do have creep. It's easy to get rid of that creep though as i say.
I would like to reduce the creep on my DT10 triggers, I haven't had a close look yet, what would you recommend?

http://www.tirovesti.co.uk/

The trigger on the eell is fabulous however the trigger on my std DT10 is even better in fact it is sublime.

I have only ever had one beretta with bad trigger and that was a DT10X which went back numerous times but was never repaird to my satisfaction, I detest creep on a trigger.
I'm sure it is and that's what i'd expect on such high end guns. I think you must have been unlucky with the DT10X. I was talking more about the less expensive Beretta shotguns.

I would like to reduce the creep on my DT10 triggers, I haven't had a close look yet, what would you recommend? http://www.tirovesti.co.uk/
I would suggest taking it to a good gunsmith who knows about triggers, there are some that know a lot. John Jefferies of HPX Perazzi sorted my browning as it had a lot of free movement before it actually operated the trigger. I wouldn't advocate doing in yourself. (especially on a really expensive gun like a DT10) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back