Trigger pull weight

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
agreed. But over 5 and it wont be good.
WtS, 

Not to be argumentative since I'm a perfectly lovely person, I can only add that a properly clean and lubed trigger is reaaaaalllllly the starting point.  My pull triggers are fine at +/-5lbs and anything much lighter is a problem - for me.  

Too light a trigger pull is a path to flinching AFAIC.  

but shoot what you like

Not sure where you got the above from, but I shot 3 / 3.5 and it proved to be excellent for me. But here is the rub, I did develop the "flinch". I now wonder if you are on the money that a light pull trigger can bugger you up.

Never checked my Mirook but i do suffer from trigger freeze and wonder should i get it checked, Maybe as a chippy i am used to a lot of  heavy

manual hand work (that sounds just wrong) however i have heard the mk38 are renowned for heavy triggers.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, you're an obsessive puller, are you?  You perhaps might want to find a distracting hobby.  Perhaps something with personal relationships involved.

just a thot      :rolleyes:
Just wait until he goes blind, then we will NEVER hear the last of it  !   :cool:    

Never checked my Mirook but i do suffer from trigger freeze and wonder should i get it checked, Maybe as a chippy i am used to a lot of  heavy

manual hand work (that sounds just wrong) however i have heard the mk38 are renowned for heavy triggers.
No NOT heavy just DRAGGY  !

I remain unconvinced that trigger pull be it heavy or light has any bearing on trigger freeze.

Just wait until he goes blind, then we will NEVER hear the last of it  !   :cool:    

No NOT heavy just DRAGGY  !
. left myself open to that, 

I remain unconvinced that trigger pull be it heavy or light has any bearing on trigger freeze.
Me either Ian however it is always a second barrel issue and i wonder if maybe it was exceptionally heavy i may give it the usual pressure as with the first barrel and because it doesn't fire the brain may not have time to process the information quickly enough by which time the target is lost. Needless to say the second barrel always fires sadly long after.

. left myself open to that, 

Me either Ian however it is always a second barrel issue and i wonder if maybe it was exceptionally heavy i may give it the usual pressure as with the first barrel and because it doesn't fire the brain may not have time to process the information quickly enough by which time the target is lost. Needless to say the second barrel always fires sadly long after.
Never had it with the second barrel, is that is a bit unusual on the second shot?.

trigger lop to long

hand moving on grip due to recoil of first shot

or

gun malfunction, inertia thingie not inertia-ing or slow to do so.

I checked my Miroku trap gun triggers when I bought it new with my mate who is a very capable gunsmith. Bottom barrel was 7lb and top barrel 5lb! Had a lot of drag too. He set them to nigh on 3.5 and 3.75lbs and took a lot of the play and also the drag out of them. 

The second barrel firing problem is very often the failure to release the trigger enough after the first shot. When you pull the trigger again it feels solid.

Referee takes the gun from you unopened often shoulders it and pulls the trigger and it goes off. Reason being you let the trigger go completely allowing the trigger mechanism to recock ready for the Ref. to fire it and target lost.

Why this happens is many and varied. How your hand grips the gun and forefinger placement on the trigger blade is a good starting point. 

I had an adjustable trigger mechanism fitted to replace the fixed blade and set it to the furthest away point. Next step was opening the radius of the grip which effectively moved my hand further away from the trigger too. My hands aren't particularly big but I have long fingers.

I wrote an article on my trip to Manuel Ricardo for a new stock that was published on this forum that may help.

Justin Risley based near Nuthampstead Shooting Ground Royston Herts 07803521716 is very good at stockwork alterations.

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked my Miroku trap gun triggers when I bought it new with my mate who is a very capable gunsmith. Bottom barrel was 7lb and top barrel 5lb! Had a lot of drag too. He set them to nigh on 3.5 and 3.75lbs and took a lot of the play and also the drag out of them. 

The second barrel firing problem is very often the failure to release the trigger enough after the first shot. When you pull the trigger again it feels solid.

Referee takes the gun from you unopened often shoulders it and pulls the trigger and it goes off. Reason being you let the trigger go completely allowing the trigger mechanism to recock ready for the Ref. to fire it and target lost.

Why this happens is many and varied. How your hand grips the gun and forefinger placement on the trigger blade is a good starting point. 

I had an adjustable trigger mechanism fitted to replace the fixed blade and set it to the furthest away point. Next step was opening the radius of the grip which effectively moved my hand further away from the trigger too. My hands aren't particularly big but I have long fingers.

I wrote an article on my trip to Manuel Ricardo for a new stock that was published on this forum that may help.

Justin Risley based near Nuthampstead Shooting Ground Royston Herts 07803521716 is very good at stockwork alterations.
Thanks Phil very interesting and i am glad to know the triggers can be rather heavy, i will look into getting it sorted before the clay shooting season gets into full swing.

Thanks Phil very interesting and i am glad to know the triggers can be rather heavy, i will look into getting it sorted before the clay shooting season gets into full swing.
Just a point of interest (forgive me if I have posted this before, it really is an age thing) I went on to a release/ pull trigger. Never had a trigger problem since. They do really work.

Thanks for the help folks. I live in Essex but after asking around I came to the conclusion that our local gunsmiths are more akin to blacksmiths and not recommended for trigger jobs.  

One name that did come up as suitable was Ladbrook and Langton i.e. Gunrepair.co.uk.  Although they are in Hertfordshire it's only just over an hour away.  Has anyone used them before or would you recommend an alternative. 
Hey Nicko

Not sure where you are in Essex, but Radcliffes of Colchester seem to be held in very high regard and I have no issues with any of the work that they have done for me.

Hey Nicko

Not sure where you are in Essex, but Radcliffes of Colchester seem to be held in very high regard and I have no issues with any of the work that they have done for me.
That's great information, thank you.  I have been in touch with L&L but they are snowed under at the moment so I will give Radcliffes a call. 

Latest posts

Back