Throwing in the towel

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I throw a miss into the bin, it's hidden inside the shell...   just a mental image that might help some... 

I find that if i try to hard not to think then i end up thinking about not thinking (if that makes sense) which can be as distracting as thinking. Phew...

I have thought about it and thought about it ips and i think i know what you are thinking about...although thinking about I may not have thought about it enough ;-)

Wish i had not said anything now :)

But on thinking about it, yes i am as it makes perfect sense. To me anyway :)

No - you are right... as Phil Coley says ; "don't think of an egg,  there.... you already are"

Exactly.

You can become obsessed with a clear mind but its virtually impossible to achieve so you have to try very hard and that's when your thinking about not thinking about it.

Exactly.

You can become obsessed with a clear mind but its virtually impossible to achieve so you have to try very hard and that's when your thinking about not thinking about it.
Have you been on the single malt already Ian? We will be onto the meaning of life soon mate! Or maybe quantum mechanics, there's a nice easy little subject to discuss when under the influence, which I shall be quite soon I hope!! 

I find that it is to have this attitude as well but I have found that most other people at my level also have some trouble somewhere during a shoot so persevering and maintaining focus usually pays off with a much better result than you thought you were going to get.

It is all about preparation - preparation is about technical, mental and physical preparation. In terms of what really happens, it is a mental issue and one that impacts many clay shooters - it is easy to say move on, forget about, take one target at a time, but how do you do that. Even the words "don`t worry about it" reinforces the negative. Many shooters are too in the moment and actually too focused without giving a time for a mental break, in sporting in particular there is the classic hit the first pair and then question how you do it, so you go from sub-conscious to conscious.

On the preparation front, areas such as pre-shot routine and retaining that are important, visualising how you are going to shoot and visualising your routine, so dry training running through exactly what you do, working out the hydration plan and the nutrition plan for the day. I recently saw people`s scores fall away at the White Gold 150 birder on the Sunday, cloudy start, but the sun came out and people were not prepared for queues and the sudden heat, plus it was 150 targets.

In this instance what I would be advising is to have a consistent pre-shot routine that you always follow, people should be able to watch you shoot and not know if you have hit or miss - if emotions are shown, then you are not working subconsciously . Get a routine, stick to it and then hit or miss you are not thrown by a miss, and actually you become more consistent and you won`t carry misses round with you.

Phil is right of course. The 150 at Westfield was longer than I was used to and I stupidly saved stand 16 until almost last. Likely a mistake as I was getting tired by then. But that's different to a negative outlook as soon as a bad moment arises. You have to remember that 99.99 % of shoots are won by somebody that has missed some!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr coley

a great post, i agree with everything you say particularly like the paragraph about re-enforcing a negative. Missed target absolutely must be forgotten but even after nearly 30yrs i find this difficult as a perfectionist in all things i attempt to analyse the reason for the miss and doubt my technique this can lead to me making changes during the line sometimes to a degree that i come off feeling like i have shot 25 targets 25 different ways. I think some aspects of the mental game are deep routed in our own personality am are very hard to do or not do as the case may be therefore the only way is to consciously do or not do it. And there is the catch 22 you are then to involved with mental game and not the job in hand. I have always used a tongue in cheek expression for Dtl shooters and that is that you have to be brain dead to shoot good consistent Dtl, i do not mean this in a derogatory way i am sure anyone who knows anything about Dtl will get my point.

Anyway a very interesting post Mr coley.

Back