This is a real thing...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSCA

ShootClay Admin
A colleague gave me this at work today... apparently, once upon a time, Microsoft had a Gun Club.

A fully funded social club, with sponsorship from the NRA in the US. It doesn't exist anymore, but he thought it would be good for someone to have this remaining piece of club memorabilia:

msftgunclub2.jpg

There was some press online about it...

http://www.newsplink.com/2009/03/31/the-gun-club-at-microsoft/

Last edited by a moderator:
" an oddity for sure"   Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup! :crazy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Earthenware by the looks of it, the only place you wouldn't want to drop it is on your foot

It is a big and heavy mug... made for giant american 20oz coffees with cream and sugar. 

On the subject of the Microsoft Gun Club, rather than the mug, I was helping out at a shooting ground just this weekend.

20 plus members of a Shooting Club of a large high street retailer were in attendance.

There were men from the warehouses, production managers, female employees, all from various branches of the retailer, all enjoying 100 birds. Apparently they meet once a month at grounds all around the country.

It really was great to see a proper works social club all having a great time enjoying their shooting.

I can recall when most of the large Liverpool companies all had Social Clubs and some had a rifle and pistol shooting section, some even had 25 yard, 4 lane ranges, built in their basements.  Nowadays it is just the multi millionaires who have the handguns and the old American adage has come true, "Outlaw guns and only the Outlaws will have them".

On the subject of the Microsoft Gun Club, rather than the mug, I was helping out at a shooting ground just this weekend.
20 plus members of a Shooting Club of a large high street retailer were in attendance.
There were men from the warehouses, production managers, female employees, all from various branches of the retailer, all enjoying 100 birds. Apparently they meet once a month at grounds all around the country.
It really was great to see a proper works social club all having a great time enjoying their shooting.
John Lewis/Waitrose have a shooting club...

GKN sankey in Hadley shropshire used to have there own clay ground, I used to trap there in the late 70's. We used to get paid £1.50. (I was about 12 or 13 at the time) and a box of eley Olympic were £2.00, we'd get are money, give it to Ray Bailey and he would give us another box, and then spend a few hours after everyone had gone and coach us. When I look back and realise what a very busy chap he was, he always encouraged us, I still see him about from time to time, what a gentleman he still is

Lots of companies have shooting clubs though fewer than there used to be.

British Rail Staff Association has many smallbore ranges in clubs around the country.

Civil Service also have their own club.

House of Parliament have a range underneath

Stock Exchange used to have one

BAE Systems

Perkins

Boots

British Airways

Flight Refuelling

GEC

English China Clays now IMERYS - Clay ground

Watts Blake Bearne now SIBELCO had both clay and smallbore clubs until new owner closed them on elf 'n safety grounds

Pilkington Glass

Rover

Vauxhall Motors

Westland Helicopters

Leyland Motors

Target clubs tended to stem from links to military and wartime target training and practice for the war and home guard

Back