The fun loving walnut - have you tested yours?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob_P

It looks like The Growler is going to get off to a flying start this coming weekend, and I'm very pleased that some funding will be going to the Prostate Cancer Charity. Very well done guys, for all the support and especially to Graham for taking on the organisation, wish I could be there.

I've dithered around for a few weeks wondering if I wanted to "come out" on a public forum, but as we have some good publicity at the moment, thought I would tell my story. After reading it, I hope that one or two of you might decide to have a very simple blood test, that could save your life!

So here goes:

I'm 57 years old, and like many men of my age I can no longer compete in the "how far can I pee up the walls" competitions we used to have at school. I guess progressively over the last decade or so the power has reduced, and I also have to go a bit more often. This is quite normal at my age, and is just a sign that the prostate is a bit bigger than it used to be, and is restricting the flow.  A few years ago, I mentioned this to my GP, and he suggested we do a PSA test alongside my annual cholesterol blood test. The PSA  test is an indicator for an enlarged prostate, and whilst not a particularly good indicator for cancer, if it changes dramatically over time, it can mean that something sinister is going on. Mine was a bit high, but not dramatically, so we agreed to have the test every six months and see if it changed very much. Mine stayed pretty much static for a couple of years, then last December it doubled from around 3.5 to 7.6. This wasn't good news, so I was referred to a consultant Urologist in January.

I shall cut a long story short here, had a very special MRI scan that identified some suspicious areas, then followed up with a "saturation biopsy" Had the biopsy in February, this involved my "fun loving walnut" having 48 tissue samples taken from it (under general anaesthetic). The results show that I have relatively low grade prostate cancer in three tumours in the prostate gland. All of the cancer is within the gland, so it has been caught really early, and I'm in no danger of it spreading in the short term. There are a bewildering array of treatment options, and my current thoughts are to wait until the end of the shooting season in autumn, and then go for an ultrasound treatment that is showing promising results.

I've been really lucky to catch the cancer at an early stage, where it is little more than an inconvenience and it can almost certainly be cured completely by an approprite treatment. About 10,000 other men in the UK aren't so lucky, and die of this horrible diease every year.

I don't know the statistics, but would guess that  the clay shooting community would have a high number of men at risk when compared to the general population. So, if you are in your fifties or older, I would strongly suggest that you have a chat with your GP, and ask about having your PSA tested.

I've only scratched the surface here, the web is full of good information, one of the best being our supported charity  http://prostatecanceruk.org/ who's website & cancer toolkit have been a mine of good information for me.

Happy to answer pm's if you have any questions about my experience.

Egypt on Friday - here we come

Well done bob, brilliant informative post have a good trip

Fantastic post Bob, really glad you shared and I am currently looking for a suitable charity for the ground to support. You hit the nail on the head with saying that shooters are a higher risk group.

Thanks for sharing something so personal and best of luck with whatever treatment you decide on xx

my father has lived with PC for 10 years and as such im deemed to be "at risk" even at the age of 40 when I was checked and biopsied, its NOT fun...or funny....but dont ignore the opportunity to get checked.

A very close friend of mine (who lost his father to the disease) who isnt even 45 waited to get tested despite having "problems" (the embarrassment factor...etc etc) his PSA level when tested was 93!!....suffice it to say he probably wont get to see fifty or his daughter's tenth birthday, though if he had gone earlier it may have been a very different story.

Ignore the warning signs at your peril!!

Hi Bob  brave and very informative post glad to hear that you will be ok with your chosen treatment and keeping positive :thumbsu:   as I have a friend undergoing chemo treatment at present .

Hi Bob,

A brave decision to post about your own experiences. Wishing you all the best with your chosen treatment.

Hazel and Andy

All the very best Bob, I am sure your post will give others the positive push to get checked out.

Enjoy your holiday away in the sun.

Best regards

James

All the best bob myself and the missis have read your post and say thanks for posting, the wife battled breast cancer and touch wood beating it due too early and good treatment, and her dad in same position as you at the moment...all the best my friend have a good holliday.x

Thank you for posting. Whilst I'm a young(ish) woman, prostrate cancer is close to my heart following my dad's diagnosis two years ago. I am happy to say, he's absolutely fine - but probably only so due to the regular PSA tests that he had prior to diagnosis which meant that when the score did start jumping it, it was dealt with - he had a radical prostectomy operation and its now fit as a fiddle.

I now like to hassle all over 50s men to get tested - my message to you gents out there is ITS JUST A BLOOD TEST - unless there is a concern, the doctors have no interest in interfering with you. And frankly, even if they do need to, remember that us ladies get interfered with by doctors from our late teens. It's no big deal - Man up! Get tested! Stay alive and keep your wives, daughters, sons, family and friends enjoying your boring shooting talk for many years to come :)

Great post Bob and all the best with the treatment. See you at the Essex Masters next month :)

Well done for such an informative post Bob and for sharing your experience with us.

Have a great holiday and then get your treatment and get well soon.

Well done also to Graham for choosing such a good charity for the Growler participants to support.

I have had medicals every 3 years for years and the prostate test has always been played down such that I have not had it.

I can see that I shall be asking for it from now on.

Kudos Bob, Its one of those things that you think will never happen to you, until someone you know goes through it, then you really take it seriously. Awareness is everything and I think a lot of gentlemen reading are now thinking "That could be me, best get myself checked"  

A welcome decision to share and have a good break and best wishes for the treatment :)  

Well done Bob for sharing for the greater good. I hope all goes well with your chosen treatment. xx

Hi Bob. Very brave of you to share your problem :goodjob:  . Thankfully you caught it sooner rather than later unlike so many that don't. All the very best with your chosen treatment and HAVE YOUR SELF A GREAT HOLL'S you deserve it. 

Hi Bob  -  very bold and brave of you to share your experience.

Pam and I send our best wishes and hope to meet up soon.

Well done Bob, I myself had the checked last Christmas - same issues with the enlargment but thankfully clear on my blood test, I decided to get checked as it is something my dear departed dad had, I will now have a regular MOT, I don't hesitate to get the motor done so why not me!

Good to hear they caught yours in time, have a great holiday, thank you for posting this, very best regards, Growl.

Oh and by the way the finger ain't too bad, just choose a doctor with very slim fingers!

Back