the classic from my point of view

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's interesting to hear the experience from the other side of the fence as us shooters only see the finished result on the day we shoot.

I hope everybody that shot this stood back and saw a snapshot of what it took to organise this event. The pressures to get this right must have been immense and not something I would want to undertake. But right it was, as we knew it would be.

Huge thanks and congratulations to all at The Clayshooting Company. This is a shoot that will be discussed for years to come, and I'll bet you hear someone say, at a shoot near you soon, "it's not a patch on The Classic".

After this my local shoots will appear bland and uninteresting in comparison, which is why I will be coming back next year to do it again, and I'm sure many others will too.

It was a true challenge in the spirit of past Classics and long may it continue (to be run by Steve and Allison).   :biggrin:

Can't quite get my head round the tisallabiteasypeasy at the mo bravehearts, not looking at their scores anyways. ;) :dontknow: :.:
...says the man lacking the nuts to go shoot Majors like the Classic!!! Where are all your 'big shoot' scores?!?!

I had a great weekend of clay shooting, the Classic, England selection shoot at Grange and the immaculate Orston...you should get out more Hammy!!! :D

...says the man lacking the nuts to go shoot Majors like the Classic!!! Where are all your 'big shoot' scores?!?!

I had a great weekend of clay shooting, the Classic, England selection shoot at Grange and the immaculate Orston...you should get out more Hammy!!! :D
I bet I'd still have thrashed you  ;)   :lol:  I don't lack balls trust me, just not have enough time, inclination or reason to. I get what I want out of shooting locally and once in a while do something afar, got nothing to prove to you or anyone else for that matter. Good luck to anyone who does though, it's your good fortune.

James. Really? You and Hammy go head to head if that's the macho thing? My money is on Hammy.

Chill out!

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest i did hear a few people complaining on the day and also around local shoots on the weekend that the targets were too tough especially on the red course. I must admit I was in that camp too, thought the blue course was a much better shoot but I may be influenced by my relative inexperience what with it being my first major event. That said I still think it was an awesome experience and will more than likely be going back for more torture next year. Good job Steve, Ally & Co.

who would be happy to shoot that standard of target at a reg shoot every week then ???????

Yes personally I would be more than happy Steveo, the effort put in and the target quality were second to none, the Cotswolds views were great also, shame you never had the English aswell

Easy targets won't help you improve, you just get shocked and put in your place when someone stiffens up a major comp. I want to get to A class asap and shooting Steves shoots and others like it is helping me get there.

I would love to get to Westfields and Windrush for your reg shoots ( Steve L) to see some of these type of targets both are 2 hrs plus from me so I have to settle for Garlands ( at the moment but will try and get a Sunday planned to get South again) which I can't fault just wish I had a shorter trip to shoot your other targets.

Good hard targets can also be visible as proven at the Classic and Garlands so lets see if some other grounds catch up and start throwing some bigger targets, for me good targets will always get my custom first and hence my one shoot I can get to this Sunday will be Garlands.

I need bigger targets to improve and if I can only shoot these at Majors it's going to take me bl@@dy ages to get enough to improve while as if I can shoot them every week --- this time next year I might get all 3 of those Teals of Red stand 5 just the 1 this year!

I'd rather be an A class shot, shooting good quality targets, than a AAA shooting sh*te targets. I want to be tested, not handed them on a plate!!

This "discussion" is so old..

Firstly: You can't put on super tough targets all the time as it deters beginners and is a proven financial failure mode for ground owners.

Secondly the talk of "we will all be on AAA" is nonsense because the CPSA take the top 5% of shooters into AAA; regardless of scores.

What we have now is the product of years of developing a best compromise. I.e shoots like Weston, Westfield, Gunsite, Widdington, Ej Churchill; which test the best yet leave the beginners with a reason to carry on. All talk of any other widespread system is just talk.

It is good that a few Open shoots such as the classic can allow boundaries to be pushed though. But folks entering that know that it's a bit of an occasion.

This "discussion" is so old..

Firstly: You can't put on super tough targets all the time as it deters beginners and is a proven financial failure mode for ground owners.

It is good that a few Open shoots such as the classic can allow boundaries to be pushed though. But folks entering that know that it's a bit of an occasion.
Did you shoot the Classic Will?  If you did and you thought these were "super tough" then you have no idea what "super tough" is!!! They were testing combinations that made you work for them, my god man, put it into perspective...the shoot was won on 96% over 150 targets!!! A class was won on 87.3% and a 16yo colt shot 127(?) to win B class FFS, thats not super tough, thats testing clays that can ALL be hit, that all have to be worked for and gave you great satisfaction when you cleaned a stand. The difficulty level was notched up, yes...but sensibly notched up!!! No macho was needed to break these clays or enjoy this shoot!!!

I will bet you any money you like that the Classic will be full next year...

I bet I'd still have thrashed you  ;)   :.: I don't lack balls trust me, just not have enough...
We will never know, you just don't have the balls to try...

Just don't have enough...you said that, not me!!! ;)

Will I can understand where your coming from!! But James you are spot on with that analysis, I couldn't of put it any better!!

We will never know, you just don't have the balls to try...

Just don't have enough...you said that, not me!!! ;)
Stop talking out of your arse James, so you trekked down from Scotland and shot a fantastic shoot, good for you. Read my lips: I decided 3 decades ago I wasn't going to take clay shooting seriously because for 99.9% of us it's just a money pit. I would have taken more interest if I could have made it pay at least £45 grand a year to help me raise a family and buy a home.

Even as is it's cost me around £160k (which I don't regret as it was my choice) but don't go elluding yourself that I should care what you think whether or not I shoot majors. It makes no difference how hard or clever they make shoots, classes will NOT alter because it averages out see. I already know roughly what I'd have shot at the Classic, nowhere near a win but better than most.

If you or anyone else likes to have a bravery contest (they all know who they are) then pick a ground and we'll shoot off scratch for £500 plus cost of getting there and back, now put your balls where your mouth is.

I'd rather be an A class shot, shooting good quality targets, than a AAA shooting sh*te targets. I want to be tested, not handed them on a plate!!
You don't know quite how this averages thing works then ?

JJ, no I didn't shoot it this year. My comment was about generic tough courses, which is what the general conversation drifted to; and how tougher shoots every weekend would be received. I shoot Steve Lovatts targets a great deal, so know what he does. Always fair even when he stiffens it up a bit.

Re scores at the classic, it is usually the case that if you have a huge entry you will always get high class win scores, just because so many are there. Somebody will have a good day. I always reckon that if you want to see if a shoot was tough, look at the bottom third of the scores. That's just a comment about how to judge it, not what I think it should be etc.

James / Hamid - I'll happily book you you into the same squad at the ShootClay Cup and throw another £200 into the pot for you two to shoot off. 

It'll be worth the extra money for you to meet - and for Hamid see what a big softy James is away from the keyboard, and for James to see what a really good shot looks like. 

Level playing field.... there it is. 

can i be in on that squad as well for the cash !!!!!!
No and I couldn't possibly take James's money anyway as it just wouldn't be fair. The thing that irks me is all the little snide hints and prods by a few people here and there who somehow seem to care more about what someone else's class is than concentrating on their own ! 

I have always said I am a natural A class, turn up almost anywhere and shoot that kind of average, once in a while due to my experience, never give up attitude and Murphy's law of averages I bang in a 90 something which drags me up to AA or even skin of your teeth AAA ! It doesn't mean a thing at the end of the day, only matters what you do on the day and what you personally get out of it. 

I have enjoyed myself along the way and been lucky enough to hit the high notes once or thrice in my life time, no big deal.

PS. I'm going to try and make the ShootClay Cup just to see the forum crowd.

It dont matter about classes,the bench mark is high gun, if i am with in 10 (20normaly) of high gun then i have shot amazing.The only win that counts is high gun and thats where we should aspire to be,but having 6or10 people hitting 90+ only gives a test of consistancy(like skeet) not a test of skill/knowladge on how to take big targets.    

Back