Target presentation terminology

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LancsLad

Ok peeps, while reading through posts since i joined the forum I see people talking about how what i think your talking about is the presentation of the clay off that stand. Things like driven, teal, quartering away, etc. I've found definition lists that describe a rib, comb, trap, etc but nothing on presentations. Also if a different type of clay is thrown from a standard what to look for to understand that it isn't a standard, like a battue, etc. Can someone do a list of these with a description of what is meant for us newbies so we can visualise what is being discussed? It would help me for a fact if I go for a lesson to tell/describe to the coach which presentations ot types of clay I struggle on.

Last edited by a moderator:
The last edition of the CPSA magazine Pull had a couple of pages with some descriptions. 

Might be a good place to start? 

I'll try a few

Driven. Incoming usually straight at the the stand, going overhead.fast.

Quartering. Usually starts off to the left or right of the stand and going across the stand and away at about 45 degrees.

Teal. Target is going up, usually rapidly. May be going away and land in line further away or incoming similar. Usually an edge on view of the clay.

Looper. flat on view of a clay launched on it's edge. Sometimes called a Chondelle 

Rabbit. usually rolling in the grass but sometimes it's a hare ( with a bounce or jump ) and even what I call a springbok! jumping to a height so that it becomes a low level looper!

Driven - up in the air, bottom showing, coming towards you either straight or at a tangent, could be slow or fast could be close or very high but when silly close it ought to be called driven Grouse.

Teal - rising away or straight upwards, back or belly showing, angled or not.

Quartering - anything that's not a straight shot as in incoming or going away and which is not a true crosser, they can look like they're crossing but a shallow angle means they're quartering and won't need the lead a crosser does. They can be quartering away or towards you.

Rabbit - ground rolled target

Battue - ultra thin clay that will start fast and never really slow down, turning mid flight

Rocket -  a rabbit type clay thrown up in the air, hard to break compared to battues

Looper - anything that's made to curve in flight

Over head - reverse of Driven, coming from behind instead of front

Crosser - anything going from one side to the other which could not reasonably be called quartering

Gimme - what everyone can hit all day which commonly accounts for 10%+ of misses

Chandelle, chandel or chondel  depending on how the ground or trap manufacturer spell it is either a French candle or posh name for an arcing target.   :)

Thank you for the clear explanations guys. With these descriptions I can now visualise what people mean when talking about some of the stands they've shot  :D

Standard clay normal size. MIDI medium size smaller than normal, mini smaller than a midi. Battue thin normal size. Rabbit thick normal size. Zz wings on it. Flash goes bang. 

Ok peeps, while reading through posts since i joined the forum I see people talking about how what i think your talking about is the presentation of the clay off that stand. Things like driven, teal, quartering away, etc. I've found definition lists that describe a rib, comb, trap, etc but nothing on presentations. Also if a different type of clay is thrown from a standard what to look for to understand that it isn't a standard, like a battue, etc. Can someone do a list of these with a description of what is meant for us newbies so we can visualise what is being discussed? It would help me for a fact if I go for a lesson to tell/describe to the coach which presentations ot types of clay I struggle on.
​Watch this Play list

Latest posts

Back