Such a shame I was a 'lady'

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surely the high gun lady wins ladies regardless of class and if she wins class as well then she wins class too.

Personally i do not agree with ladies class at all as i have said obey times. We all have the chance of winning over all high gun if were good enough and all have the chance of winning our class, how many more bites of the apple do people want.

Ps i would personally do away with all categories and all classes and just pay further down the leader board but i know this is a controversial idea.

Personally, I think if a lady is placed in her lettered class, then she should win that prize and the kudos that goes with it...but, should their place in ladies class goes to next in line (assuming there is a ladies class) i.e. If Cheryl Hall (assuming she doesn't take high gun!) bangs in a 9?, coming second in AA, some other talented lady is second in A with 87 and the next lady is wins say, C with a 79 and the forth placed lady with a 4th in C 76 would win lady high gun or, should Cheryl Hall win lady gun with 9?...??? (Cheryl Hall just used as an example)
got it 2nd time of reading!! They should only have ladies classes at the majors, Cheryl would most probably win most if not all!! That's why classes is the best option, IMHO

All right I have said I don't know about the whole class and ladies bit and apologise for that. I am new to the whole concept of the classification thing. I know this is off topic but in this modern day is it really correct to have a ladies class at all? Should all shooters not just be classed together? It seems, to me, strange to have a ladies class but all be graded alike when this is not the case and forgive my ignorance, because it may not be the case, but having a ladies class seems, again to me, a way of ensuring a lady entrant wins a prize?

edit

I forgot to say well done on your PB ! And also note that you also would to prefer to be classed in an open category rather than as a lady entrant. I find the whole thing a bit weird that they have classified you on gender rather than your classification without asking your preference on the matter... surely that should never occur ? I now understand why you are a bit miffed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Entry was £36, same I believe, prize pay out in ladies is only for 1st

BUT PLEASE MY POINT WAS NOT ABOUT THE PRIZE MONEY, I JUST LIKE TO BE COMPARED TO OTHER SHOOTERS OF THE SAME ABILITY AS MYSELF, MALE OR FEMALE
If thats the case then IMHO the Horne were wrong not to give you the opportunity to compete in your CPSA class. Effectively you were placed in the Ladies comp which was pitching you in with any standard of lady that might turn up on the day, and as someone else said if Cheryl Hall or Becky Mackenzie turned up, your chances of winning would have been remote indeed. They seem to do things differently at the Horne, just look at the overall results, Will Steyn won HG with an 88. Somehow he also won Members A class with an 83. One can only assume he paid for a re-entry.

Anyway, forgot to congratulate you on your PB. To all intents and purposes your score was the winning one in C class and you should be very proud of yourself.

MM

I find it interesting that we all seem to agree (if I am understanding these comments correctly) that there is no place for ladies class at your average registered shoot.  (Majors a different matter).  I've said it before, everyone is on an equal footing regardless of gender, and people need to compete in their lettered class with similar standard shooters for it to be a fair competition!  We wouldn't consider a men only class would we?! 

Sorry to bore the regular users of this forum but being directly affected I felt compelled to write :-(

Horne Court Farm 5.1.13

I shot my socks off for my best score there to date of 73.

I was automatically entered into 'ladies' and I never questioned it. Ladies was won on 80 by an 'A' class lady, no problem there. C class, of which I am a member, was won on 72.

Damn, bye bye £100 but most of all I missed out on 'winning' a class .

Next time............................
Well done on the PB....shows you can do it and it will give you the confidence to do it again and again and again (wait to see how good it will get when we are back in the decent weather and you will get more of a high than now). Good luck.

What's to stop a ground making a charge for any number of entries in addition to the first in terms of prize money?

So for example I could enter as C Class and pay £30 Birds Only Fee plus £5 to join in the cash prize for C Class but also another £5 if I fancied myself to win the veterans.  There is no BO charge as the clays etc have already been paid for in respect of the Vets entry when paying for the C class entry.

That's effectively what happens in rifle and pistol.  You entry the main comp in your class plus extra comps just for Ladies and Veterans if you are eligible.

So a lady veteran AAA class could win all three plus top gun! 

How's that for equality?
I LOVE this idea......in for a penny in for a £....and 'anyone' can have a really great day and score big.

Personally speaking in these so called politically correct days of equal opportunities I find it somewhat offensive that ladies are offered a reduced entry fee at all. After all, most of them earn more money than us blokes anyway. I understand and agree with Juniors getting reduced entry fees as its a way of encouraging new blood into the sport and mum and dad are usually paying anyway.

MM
I don't think it is offensive offering ladies a reduced fee. Anything to get more of them shooting. This system is used in majors abroad (sometimes ladies and juniors are completely free to enter) the only difference is that if any of them win...they have to pay the balance for a full entry fee before they get a payout. Works well.....true story.

Ps i would personally do away with all categories and all classes and just pay further down the leader board but i know this is a controversial idea.
Scratch competitions is what you shoot abroad (no classes) but they still have Ladies, Juniors, Vets and Super Vets because of the Titles to be won.

Still that said.....it is nice every now and then getting that little brown 'class' envelope ...even if there is only £5 in it. :wink:

Not really bothered either way....i just like pulling the trigger.

P.s. sorry for lots of posts but i am on catch up... :laugh:

Last edited:
How many of you guys ever run a shoot? some on here thinks it fair for a lady to take £100.00 for 1st in Ladies and then get another £100.00 for 1st in her class! and the rest of the ladies get nothing?  get realistic! :crazy:  

How many of you guys ever run a shoot? some on here thinks it fair for a lady to take £100.00 for 1st in Ladies and then get another £100.00 for 1st in her class! and the rest of the ladies get nothing?  get realistic! :crazy:  
That's not how I envisage it.  The Ladies and Vets prize pots are restricted to the entry fees for each so if only 5 ladies enter then there is only £25 in the prize fund.  The main comp stays as it is now.

As i say i would do away with them all but if we are talking about the current system then regards your scenario yes i do think that is fair. If a lady wins class then she wins class and if there is a lady section then she wins that too. Its a competition someone is best on the day that is the point of competition.

Just 2 points that I've already made. This competition WASN'T registered and I very much doubt if the prize for first in class was £100 especially as it would appear to be a low entry.

I don't think it is offensive offering ladies a reduced fee. Anything to get more of them shooting. This system is used in majors abroad (sometimes ladies and juniors are completely free to enter) the only difference is that if any of them win...they have to pay the balance for a full entry fee before they get a payout. Works well.....true story.
I like the idea that if ladies win then they have to pay the difference in order to pick up their prize. Not sure if I am so comfortable with them being offered a discounted fee in order to get more of them shooting, unless it was their first time. Most people, of whatever sex, get to shoot for the first time with a mate or as part of a larger group in a taster session. Once they try it, they are either bored silly or hooked(Thankfully I fell into the latter category) I don't think that paying the same as the blokes would put me off shooting(if I was a lady), particularly once I had become hooked. :crazy:   :crazy:

:fie:  Then whats anyone chewing the fat over?  most shoots are "one man (or lady) one prize!

I do have to take issue with you about whether or not the fairer sex need inducements to start shooting or enter competitions. It seems to me that shooting is a much more accepting of female participants than many other sports! If women choose not to enter its not because they are in some way hindered from doing so by men, unlike other sports, golf is a good example, where women are actually barred from joining certain golf clubs! I personally don't really see why there needs to be an inducement when there is no bar to entry. Women today are not the shy, timid creatures the once were arf arf :) ... even Harry Enfield knows that... most of them seek impose their right to equality with men and good on them I say! I have to say down here it is very rare that I have seen a female shooter don't ask me why!

. I bet it does for you!! Well I am Pauline from now on.

Back