Such a shame I was a 'lady'

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BerylBeretta

Sorry to bore the regular users of this forum but being directly affected I felt compelled to write :-(

Horne Court Farm 5.1.13

I shot my socks off for my best score there to date of 73.

I was automatically entered into 'ladies' and I never questioned it. Ladies was won on 80 by an 'A' class lady, no problem there. C class, of which I am a member, was won on 72.

Damn, bye bye £100 but most of all I missed out on 'winning' a class .

Next time............................

Could this be avoided by self electing your entry class prior to shooting ?

You usually get asked in my experience...but I have never been to Horne...

Well shot though....but it isn't really the taking part is it.........

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know much about the system but have you not just been unlucky on the day? I mean what if on another day you were entered in an open C category and the ladies had been won with a 71 but the C class was won with a 80 ? How would you have felt that day? 

Edit

As I say know nothing about the system but is your gripe not the fact that the ladies category is not subdivided into classes as is the open category?

Is this only about prize money? I was under the impression that if you were shooting CPSA competitions you could win both ladies class and your letter class even when shooting birds only, and that you didn't have to choose between being consider female and C class. I can understand that you only get prize money from the pool you entered.

Sorry to bore the regular users of this forum but being directly affected I felt compelled to write :-(

Horne Court Farm 5.1.13

I was automatically entered into 'ladies' and I never questioned it. Ladies was won on 80 by an 'A' class lady, no problem there. C class, of which I am a member, was won on 72.

Seems a bit unfair if they didn't ask what class you wanted to shoot in. TBH I have shot at Horne a few times and 73 would not normally get you anywhere in C class.

Are they paying £100 now for a class win? I won C about two years ago with a score of 82 and only got £40 then.

I am a veteran but if I had to nominate I would always shoot in my class.

Is this only about prize money? I was under the impression that if you were shooting CPSA competitions you could win both ladies class and your letter class even when shooting birds only, and that you didn't have to choose between being consider female and C class. I can understand that you only get prize money from the pool you entered.
This is a very good point and one that needs to be clarified and standardised as there seems to be inconsistency between grounds. At some I have been automatically entered in class and category at others I have had to nominate.

At CPSA national championships I have always shot in class and category ,at minor shoots I have usually had to nominate.

I see that this was yesterdays shoot which wasn't registered so basically the ground can do what it likes. looks to me as if the entry was low.

No gripe at all, it is what it is.

If I had elected to go into c class, then on this rare occasion I would have won my class, which every shooter likes to do.

Unfortunately for us ladies, we all get clumped together C class to AA.

Some shoots don't have ladies just class.

From my own point of view I prefer to be clumped together with 'shooters' the same ability as me and I must remember to clarify this in future when paying my entry fee.

Mmm, similar kind of situation at our little end of year shoot. A guy  I know shoots a score that would put him 2nd in "A" but 1st in the Veterans group. He was given 1st in Veterans. The question was asked and the answer was "....he's in both groups by default, and he was awarded the best option...."

Nobody seemed to mind. However there was no Cash invloved!

Having said that, do the Women on here not think the "Ladies" class a bit patronising in anycase? I'm not refering to the use of the term "Ladies" which might be viewed as a little old fashioned, more the fact that it's a separate group (Please note I am asking a question NOT making any statement)

What's to stop a ground making a charge for any number of entries in addition to the first in terms of prize money?

So for example I could enter as C Class and pay £30 Birds Only Fee plus £5 to join in the cash prize for C Class but also another £5 if I fancied myself to win the veterans.  There is no BO charge as the clays etc have already been paid for in respect of the Vets entry when paying for the C class entry.

That's effectively what happens in rifle and pistol.  You entry the main comp in your class plus extra comps just for Ladies and Veterans if you are eligible.

So a lady veteran AAA class could win all three plus top gun! 

How's that for equality?

Horne Court Farm 5.1.13

Firstly well done on your new PB there! 

I always check im in my lettered class, ladies category is fine for the majors but not at your usual registered.  As I've said before I certainly don't want to be potentially shooting against AA lady shooters just yet!  Seems a bit unfair they just assumed, but as you say it is what it is. Very frustrating though!!

Not wishing to upset the apple cart here, but would I be correct in thinking that the cost of entry in the Ladies competition at the Horne is less than that in the "mens" classes at the Horne? I know that it is at nearby Keston, consequently the prize payout in this class is also correspondingly less than in the mens classes. Just a thought, but the OP may have had the benefit of paying a reduced entry fee and consequently lost out in this instance. :fie:

Personally speaking in these so called politically correct days of equal opportunities I find it somewhat offensive that ladies are offered a reduced entry fee at all. After all, most of them earn more money than us blokes anyway. I understand and agree with Juniors getting reduced entry fees as its a way of encouraging new blood into the sport and mum and dad are usually paying anyway.

MM

Emvicne - my thoughts exactly.

Having learnt from this I shall also do as you do !

Entry was £36, same I believe, prize pay out in ladies is only for 1st

BUT PLEASE MY POINT WAS NOT ABOUT THE PRIZE MONEY, I JUST LIKE TO BE COMPARED TO OTHER SHOOTERS OF THE SAME ABILITY AS MYSELF, MALE OR FEMALE

I don't get this. How can you be entered into ladies but not class ?

I thought comp entry was exactly that and ladies was an as well as.

Personally, I think if a lady is placed in her lettered class, then she should win that prize and the kudos that goes with it...but, should their place in ladies class goes to next in line (assuming there is a ladies class) i.e. If Cheryl Hall (assuming she doesn't take high gun!) bangs in a 9?, coming second in AA, some other talented lady is second in A with 87 and the next lady is wins say, C with a 79 and the forth placed lady with a 4th in C 76 would win lady high gun or, should Cheryl Hall win lady gun with 9?...??? (Cheryl Hall just used as an example)

Personally, I think if a lady is placed in her lettered class, then she should win that prize and the kudos that goes with it...but, should their place in ladies class goes to next in line (assuming there is a ladies class) i.e. If Cheryl Hall (assuming she doesn't take high gun!) bangs in a 9?, coming second in AA, some other talented lady is second in A with 87 and the next lady is wins say, C with a 79 and the forth placed lady with a 4th in C 76 would win lady high gun or, should Cheryl Hall win lady gun with 9?...??? (Cheryl Hall just used as an example)
bloody hell Darkside you been on the scotch early today or what!!!

Back