Store gun with chokes

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmac1

Hi Guy's. I have two gun's both 32" inc barrels. One has extended choke's as std the other I've fitted Muller chokes. I have to remove the chokes to store them in the safe as they won't fit with the choke's in the gun. What I would like to know is it ok to store your gun's without the choke's?

Thanks, Malc

I have the same problem, short gun cabinet! Leaving chokes in without cleaning the gun every time is asking for corrosion to set in anyway.

It's part of the routine to fit chokes immediately the gun comes out of the cabinet.

buy a bigger cabinet...when i got to 2 autos and 2 o/u that wouldn't fit i had enough and bought a bigger one.

only problem is now i have room for more guns :nyam:

As has been said, take the barrels off. I have a 30" barreled auto with extended choke and simply use 2 of the Remington gun socks to store both stock and action and barrel seperately. Problem over.

Westley you got one of these on it.

post-2976-0-27462800-1421346084.jpg

Hi Guy's. I have two gun's both 32" inc barrels. One has extended choke's as std the other I've fitted Muller chokes. I have to remove the chokes to store them in the safe as they won't fit with the choke's in the gun. What I would like to know is it ok to store your gun's without the choke's?

Thanks, Malc
Why don't you unbolt your cabinet then using an angle grinder cut out the bottom of it. Then using a kango make a large hole in the concrete floor refit the cabinet job done.

Rosso,

Thankfully NO, although I did have a Breda fitted with one back in the late 60's. Apart from the 'mobil' choke which was a bit like a drill chuck, it was probably the forerunner for the 'multi' choke system.

Why don't you unbolt your cabinet then using an angle grinder cut out the bottom of it. Then using a kango make a large hole in the concrete floor refit the cabinet job done.
I never thought of that. Now where's mi Kango??? :mole: Don't tell the wife though :fie:

I have 32" barrels + Muller chokes, maybe I am on my own here but I simply remove the chokes before I store the gun.... Fits fine in the cabinet.

Last edited by a moderator:
kango is a lot of effort it would be much simpler to cut a round hole on the top of the cabinet and weld a baked bean can over the top - beans out first of course.

using a kango on the floor is just silly.

kango is a lot of effort it would be much simpler to cut a round hole on the top of the cabinet and weld a baked bean can over the top - beans out first of course.

using a kango on the floor is just silly.
But what if a burglar had a swiss arm knife in his pocket. He would have the top off that bean can in minutes.

I think you're all making mountains out of molehills with this talk of cutting cabinets and welding baked bean tins. Surely the practical solution is to move to a house with a secure gun room? :p

Since the Gunroom in the east wing became full I have the same problem with the cabinet in the butlers prep room.

I have a couple of flush chokes that I put in so it fits. In my mind it adds a little protection, not sure from what in the cabinet but it makes me have to give them a wipe over to keep them clean and hopefully prevents forgetting to fit chokes before using. Think the most important think is to make sure the barrels are dry and clean. If you do leave chokes in I follow the advice on the GMK website and not done up too tightly

on a serious note I found with a brattonsound with Mullers and 32's if I break the gun stand the butt in and put the barrels in - gun broken then lock the gun it fits as it is just the door size that prevents you getting it in.

failing that the baked bean tin is always an option. Aldi meat curry works ok as well but baked beans are classless and a tin is not out of place even in the finest establishments

Latest posts

Back