Starting Skeet

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryn12

Entered my first comp yesterday about 18m earlier than I'd originally planned, not a great score but within the range I'd kind of set myself. In spite of the gusting wind from behind the low house and the pouring rain I really enjoyed myself and will be concentrating on Skeet for the foreseeable.

The shooting part I was ok with but the rules side of things really messed with my concentration and although I think I've got most of them now I'd just like to ask if there's anything I've missed or have some things confirmed/clarified.

As there was a low turn-out (1 squad) we shot it in 2X2 rounds, so 50 clays at a time how are comps normally shot?

Stand 1 H,L, pair H first

Stand 2 H,L, pair H first

Stand 3 H,L

Stand 4 H, L, pair nominate first bird

Stand 5 H, L ?

Stand 6 L,H pair L first?

Stand 7 L,H pair L first

repeat first missed bird

if no misses then nominate 25th bird

If both of a pair broken with 1st shot then pair again, can happen twice times before points deducted. Is this for each stand, the round or the comp?

If first missed and second broken pair again?

I've highlighted the things I'm unsure of.

Thanks

Stand 5 H/L

Stand 6 H/L , pair L first

As far as I'm aware ,

I've become hugely addicted to Skeet , currently shoot a 22 average and am yet to hit that first 25...it's driving me up the wall...

However I've changed guns 3 times and chokes ...so I e settled on my final set up I think so it's just practice now.

Where was the comp...I believe your Scotland based yes ?

I'm looking at shooting competitively ASAP , the morton Classic may be the first if there's nothing before it

I'm also looking for a Skeet coach local(ish) who will teach me gun down as I to shoot that way and don't want to change it

Last edited by a moderator:
My opinion If you want the best skeet coaching you need Ian mcgregor based in Perth. Issf A license superb olympic skeet coach, if you want to shoot gun down. I've spent time with him at Cluny and Kippen.

D

Thanks, the comp was at Auldgirth. My scores are a long way from being competitive but I wanted to get used to comps, I hit both of the pair on stand 1, first round which distracted me for a while then had a couple of decent rounds (for me) then a dismal final round as my brain had gone to mush and I was so knackered from tackling our jungle garden the night before that I could hardly open the gun by the end. Lesson (re)learned :resent:  Set up on 2 needs work, 4 is weakest but getting there, 5 I'm not getting the lead right, the rest is concentration. The stock for my 'skeet gun should be back from the fitter in the next week or so other than that I'm happy with the guns I've got. need to invest in a stormproof skeet jacket though :laugh:  

Eventually i want to develop gun down side of things to shoot the likes of OS & Doubles. My nearest ground is Auldgirth (15mins)  but it's only open Sat, Sun and Wednesday evenings so quite often head the extra distance to Westlands (40mins) which is open Fri-Tue, just depends on work and other commitments. I'm currently on the lookout for a Skeet coach within reasonable distance, Perth is just pushing it a wee bit.

I'm pretty sure my failings are down to concentration I keep changing bogey stands...high 6 on the pair has cost me two 25s, spend 50 shells hitting the pair and now seem to be missing high 2 ...it's bizarre ...

I'm happy to travel for coaching I put 600 carts through last week and I feel I've plateaued ...I need direction , I need to develop a technique I think, too many people are happy to give 'advice' and as well meaning as it is it gets confusing...

Plus I tend to end up shooting rounds with people that are just there for the fun of it...and as much as I enjoy that it's not conductive to improvement methinks....

I knew I was going to struggle physically as I'd tackled the jungle the night before 1/4 of an acre of thick 18" high grass with an electric mower is not good preparation for a comp and as it was my 1st comp with so much new stuff to learn it was always going to be a brain-ache. Anyway that's that step out of the way and the next things to work on are fairly obvious, My bogies are fairly consistent at the moment although I was struggling with high 2 yesterday as well

I checked out all the Todd Bender stuff and whilst he's undoubtedly sh*t hot it was difficult to translate his DVDs from "gun up, maintained lead " to "gun down" I couldn't really pick any usefull information for the way I currently shoot..however I may well have to watch it again..

I've taken the first steps to some skeet coaching as recommended above so hopefully that will give me some direction or at least show me how I can practise usefully..

Hi guys, I shot skeet for about 5 years.  I had a few 25 straights with my best score being 95.  I have to say it really is a discipline and requires concentration which is probably why I didn't progress as I should as my mind kept wandering on to other things like food….    I now shoot a lot more sporting which I do enjoy although, again, I need to improve hugely!  I do still shoot the odd skeet competition and Guerini Guy and I always travel up to Scotland for the Scottish Open (which Guerini Guy won in 2009) and the Morton Classic. It's always a good weekend and who knows my score might even begin with an 8 :sarcastic: .

I checked out all the Todd Bender stuff and whilst he's undoubtedly sh*t hot it was difficult to translate his DVDs from "gun up, maintained lead " to "gun down" I couldn't really pick any usefull information for the way I currently shoot..however I may well have to watch it again..

I've taken the first steps to some skeet coaching as recommended above so hopefully that will give me some direction or at least show me how I can practise usefully..
I shoot gun down for sporting, so now when I shoot skeet, I do exactly the same, then drop the gun down to around the FITASC line. After that, its all the same, but the gun is coming up, while I'm turning.
One of the best Skeet shooters in the UK, Peter Stanton-Hope; starts gun down and mounts as he calls for the target, he has the timing perfect and that works for him.

That's how I seem to shoot naturally and I shoulder as i start the line to the target, I did think I was just out of shoulder until someone pointed out I shoot from an Olympic Skeet position which was much lower than I thought...I'd Like to keep shooting like that if I can , I've been told it's too inconsistent by some and others have said , "f£&@k em , shoot how you feel comfortable :D Skeet can be shot well gun down"..

Aye gun down was my natural tendency as I grew up rough shooting, Skeet has got me well and truly hooked and I know I'll get there. Its just getting to grips with each and every hold/pick-up/lead/break and getting used to the regs so I don't even have to think about any of it, as well as conditioning myself so my concentration & coordination don't start to flag during the last 25.

Work means I can't get onto a ground much for a few weeks so I'm going to start putting together some notes to use in training and the links to those vids plus the CPSA handbook will help me do that.

Well the weather is persisting down and look settled in for the weekend so hay/silage work has ground to a halt. Plan for the weekend is Westlands today to remind myself which end of the gun to point at the clay, Saturday at Central Scotland Shooting School for an SCTA comp then Sunday at Auldgirth for another SCTA comp.

Auldgirth is my 'home' ground and have shot 5 practice rounds, haven't shot at CSSS before so the main aim is to get to know the ground so that when I do start competing seriously I'm familiar with it. May well go 'birds only' for now.

Broke 20 (just) on the last 2 practice rounds at Auldgirth so at least things are heading in the right direction. My 'wee' gun is back from fitting and is now part of me (thanks Daf) and I've found some carts that I really like, so the only weak link is the nut behind the butt.

Just a little 'light' aside with regards to skeet. I went with my shooting buddy to Fauxdegla shooting ground yesterday, it is over 15 years since my last visit and my 'comp' days. My mate had just bought a 391 synthetic auto as he is pushing 80 and I feel recoil, may be becoming a bit of an issue. Whilst in the gunshop, Bamfords of Eccleston, I spotted a mint condition Beretta 303, which is now in my cabinet. We had taken the guns for a test run and went to Fauxdegla to shoot some skeet. We had both done 50 and were having a bit of a break and a walk around and upon our return to the skeet layout we saw that the O.T. in the centre was being used by a very petite young lady, along with her Coach. We watched her for a short while and she could certainly use the 'P' gun that she had, to great effect. She and her Coach then took a break and we went back on to shoot our final 25 skeet. I was showing her Coach, who is her Father, the condition of the 303 and we were passing comment on it. The young lady then asked if she could join us at the skeet and use the 303, we both readily agreed. Her Father had to show her how to use an auto, her never having used one before. So, off we went. If I said we were well and truly stuffed, it would be a gross understatement ! She blitzed everything, 25 straight with a gun she had never even seen before AND, the like she had never used before. Her final comment, "it shoots very smooth with no recoil, doesn't it ?" Now OK, one of us is nearly 80, the other is 10 years and 2 strokes younger and we both cleared 21 BUT there are limitations !  All I can say is that I have had my ass well and truly kicked before, BUT NEVER BY ONE SO PETITE AND ATTRACTIVE as Miss Katie Cowell. Well done Lass and here is to that Gold in the Commonwealth Games.

P.S.

In case anyone is wondering, Katie is shooting for the Welsh Team in the Commonwealth Games, this month.  

Well the weather is persisting down and look settled in for the weekend so hay/silage work has ground to a halt. Plan for the weekend is Westlands today to remind myself which end of the gun to point at the clay, Saturday at Central Scotland Shooting School for an SCTA comp then Sunday at Auldgirth for another SCTA comp.

Auldgirth is my 'home' ground and have shot 5 practice rounds, haven't shot at CSSS before so the main aim is to get to know the ground so that when I do start competing seriously I'm familiar with it. May well go 'birds only' for now.

Broke 20 (just) on the last 2 practice rounds at Auldgirth so at least things are heading in the right direction. My 'wee' gun is back from fitting and is now part of me (thanks Daf) and I've found some carts that I really like, so the only weak link is the nut behind the butt.
is this a skeet comp ? 

I really need to get my first competition under my belt and Falkirk is a short jaunt , and I have the day off tomorrow...hmmmmm 

Latest posts

Back