sporting targets

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm.. Define perfect. Class cut offs are not what you are looking for, as all lower classes contain progressing shooters who are shooting above their class. If C gets won on 67 it is possibly a bit too tough?

Just to get ahead of where I think this thread may be heading.. About how tough shoots make a real man (yawn).. I can set a shoot where I personally guarantee that nobody - and I mean nobody - will hit more than 50%. Am I the best course setter in the world then?
No one wants that but who wants 98 or 99 high gun with 90 to 91 in b class?

Nope!!! You seem to break out in a cold sweat at the thought of a shoot where C class gets won on 67...
No he didn't break out in a sweat, he simply tried to explain that in comparison to some very fine course builders in the country, that particular shoot appeared to have either been overcooked or had poor attendance of AA shots. 

What brave hearts like yourself seem unable to grasp is that :

A) people work all week to go and break a few clays 

B ) don't matter how hard you make it - averages separate people by PERCENTAGES, so YOU will still be the class YOU deserve regardless

C) in case you don't understand, it means you will still lose to Will overall 

Last edited by a moderator:
very easy to beat the skill of a shooter  ,  100 mph clays and traps 80 yards out   ,  don't forget we are supposed to enjoy the shoot , some people say skeet is easy  I aint had many 100 straights   have you   ?    shoots don't have to be mega hard to produce a winner .

Just to get ahead of where I think this thread may be heading.. About how tough shoots make a real man (yawn).. I can set a shoot where I personally guarantee that nobody - and I mean nobody - will hit more than 50%. Am I the best course setter in the world then?
Nope, don't think the scores were THAT off. What's so wrong with A shoot where HG is 89 and A class is won on 88???

Mind, you shot 15 below B class win at Weston Wood today...so does that mean the shoot was too easy? Does 95 winning B make it too soft or did someone just 'click' at a steady shoot...is it a disaster if the odd shoot is on the stiffer side? Does the odd stiffer shoot not just balance up the odd steadier shoot?

James, Ricky Davis shot in an outstanding manner today. I was witness to many stands he shot. Everything came together for him and he actually looked like a AAA shot. His whole demeanour and the way he shot the a targets was simply a joy to watch. He is definitely on his way to A but today was just his extra magic moment.

No he didn't break out in a sweat, he simply tried to explain that in comparison to some very fine course builders in the country, that particular shoot appeared to have either been overcooked or had poor attendance of AA shots.

What brave hearts like yourself seem unable to grasp is that :

A) people work all week to go and break a few clays

B ) don't matter how hard you make it - averages separate people by PERCENTAGES, so YOU will still be the class YOU deserve regardless

C) in case you don't understand, it means you will still lose to Will overall
...another invertebrate ;)

Weston today had some odd results. Ricky hasn't shot anywhere near that.. Well ever.. But certainly recently. I had a clanger. Individual examples are no judge of a shoot.

Westfield just after Xmas was a fantastic example of level. Lower classes just a shade over cut offs. (I shot my average there if that makes you happy James..) Finding that balance is tough. Well done Steve.

James, Ricky Davis shot in an outstanding manner today. I was witness to many stands he shot. Everything came together for him and he actually looked like a AAA shot. His whole demeanour and the way he shot the a targets was simply a joy to watch. He is definitely on his way to A but today was just his extra magic moment.
Ricky is a definite odd example and exemplifies how you can't judge a shoot by one score. He shot quite well and was A class a year or two ago. He then lost 3 stone in weight and had a break from shooting. Returned, with fairly low scores. His method is very timing oriented, so when he is off, he is off.. Today it obviously all came together. Top man.

What I was trying to say was that I would rather be beaten by a tasty target than a lack of concentration on targets that everyone can hit.otherwise we may as well shoot skeet.
Totally agree. Interestingly I was chatting with Steve Lovatt today about two shoots around here where difficulty is / was daft. Both shoots NOT set by decent or even regular shots..

Used 2 shoot with Ricky pretty much every week, he is a very quick shot, couple of years ago i thought he was on the way to AA. Think he lost a bit of confidence and more importantly enjoying the sport, but recently he's been shooting a lot better couple of high 80s in recent weeks. 2day it all came right fair play to him!!

Latest posts

Back