Sporting Shoots 2021. Reports and discussion.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I skipped Sunday morning, was thinking of going to Dartford as I was driving right past it on my way home, but the weather put me off.

Did Churchills on Thursday and Kibworth on Friday.  Effed up the second sim pair at Churchills, but shot the rest OK.  Kibworth same, mucked up the second sim pair, much easier targets than at EJC.  Then commenced to try not to miss for the rest of the shoot, which meant I was then being overly careful and missing stuff behind regularly from then on, including really soft stuff.  Rubbish score of 66.

The fact that my average has gone up to within a whisker of A class has messed with my head.  I'm trying to hard to reach a certain score, instead of just shooting.  Out at Hornet on Wednesday, where I'm going to try to focus on process rather than outcome and try to lose track of my score.

I had just decided weather looked too iffy when I heard it was canned. Lucky!
It was OK at home in Yateley and the forecast wasn't too grim so I had no inkling that it was that bad. Michelle wanted to make it clear that Gatton Bottom would be on next Sunday

Hornet today and I made a complete mess from the start.  Dropped 18 targets over the first 4 stands, behind stuff for being overly careful again.  At that point I thought, sod it just shoot them and only dropped another 10 on the remaining 8 stands, with no more than 2 away on any of them.  Finished on 72, but could have been so much better.

Oxfordshire today, earlier start due to both work & usual squad chums all being elsewhere, shot with new faces, I’m no spring chicken but in this squad I was the boy. For August the weathers a bit dire, despite it trying too it didn’t rain but day was a bit gloomy all the same. Now the place isn’t the toughest shoot around, it’s no “fish in a barrel” type filler either. Me, I started well enough then had a wheel come off due to a few bogey target stands but pulled it back towards end, been trying a few different things which are still work in progress, overall ones chuffed enough. Afterwards a cup of tea out of a China mug and a rather delightful bacon bap. Saw a cheerful MrHewland who exuded the look of a chap who had a good day.

HG when left Mickey Rouse 97, 

Nice to see you Rich.

Hmm.. OSS is a pleasant place, nice people, great sandwiches. The course however does need some work. Yesterday I felt at least 5 stands were a waste of good lead. The others weren’t too bad, but still on the steady side overall. Basically I think I would have hit the same score if 5 stands had been stiffened up a bit but it would have felt more worthwhile and frankly would have assisted in separating C and AA class. To be clear, I’m not one of these “tougher the better” types, but it wants to be a decent test  

It really needs at least one more stand as 10 is monotonous.

In the past, they got feedback that the shoot was too easy, so the next shoot just had some horrible sim pairs, not clever, just short of time which is not good. Then after that they put a pretty decent shoot on, but yesterday felt a bit soppy again I thought. 

I’m hopeful they get it right again. Next month I’ll be shooting Owls STR instead that week. 

Barbury Pro One, non-reg Open, a 15 stand 120 target shoot, of which there were four novelty stands. Now the investment & ground improvements here are impressive, sadly Ive never shot very well at the place and today was to be no different. Ah the novelty offerings three stands having three traps, 3 singles FUOG and then pairs/simo so 9 target stand and the other 6 traps all monster singles again FUOG. Our merry squad of six (As Bs & Cs) all more floundered than flourished and although no wet stuff the rather stiff breeze flattened our mood. Stiff yes, a few fair were beyond our crew, that said many were having a blinding day such is the way of sporting clays. Will add that ground and staff put in a tremendous amount of time, energy and thought into the competition, me I will aspire to be better for the next one. 

First time at Gatton Bottom for me since pre-Covid days. Only one target I strughled on, a floppy thing from the first platform that I just couldn't find. Shot the rest well. Was marked a miss on Stand 3, when I'd hit all of them. Despite that still managed a new Registered PB. Finished on 88.

Barbury Pro One, non-reg Open, a 15 stand 120 target shoot, of which there were four novelty stands. Now the investment & ground improvements here are impressive, sadly Ive never shot very well at the place and today was to be no different. Ah the novelty offerings three stands having three traps, 3 singles FUOG and then pairs/simo so 9 target stand and the other 6 traps all monster singles again FUOG. Our merry squad of six (As Bs & Cs) all more floundered than flourished and although no wet stuff the rather stiff breeze flattened our mood. Stiff yes, a few fair were beyond our crew, that said many were having a blinding day such is the way of sporting clays. Will add that ground and staff put in a tremendous amount of time, energy and thought into the competition, me I will aspire to be better for the next one. 
Barbury for us too - 2 squads in front of us - whole squad never turned up.  Squad in front of us 3 never turned up and 1 never turned up on our squad.  What is wrong with making a simple call?  As to the shoot, thoroughly enjoyed it.  I had my new prescription glasses and they are a bit stronger so it took a few stands to get the feel of them.  Had 2 bad stands, 6 and 8 with a 1 and a 2 respectively.  Done well on the stands with 3 traps, and was chuffed to have shot a 4 on stand 12, missing the crow and teal 😳 then hit 5 on stand 13, hitting all the battues. There was nothing that couldn’t be seen, a right mixture of targets, friendly, happy refs and as you say, staff running around all day to make the day go smoothly.  

Barbury for us today as well and I thoroughly enjoyed the novelty factor as described above.  I blanked stand 13 I just couldn’t see them well and they were not an easy presentation for me.   I also missed three very close birds and two white targets on stand 8, again the White seemed to disappear just as I want to shoot it.  Stand 12 I managed the C bird off the tower, the teal on the drop and the crow.. lovely squad to boot.   Managed a few straights so that is always nice.  Good to see you Donna.

Shooting with a cold this week. Wasted my time at EJC, fuzzy head, useless. 

Hangmanstone today for Oxford champs. Took some Day Nurse! It’s the first shoot I’ve done not squadded since before the apocalypse. Car park and whole ground very full when I turned up after midday. Thanks to Sian for the parking spot! I was entry 152 and they were still coming in. 

I walked past the first four stands as they each had about 20 people waiting. Some trap trouble. Shot stands 5-12 in about 50 minutes, then took another 75 mins to get the first four done as queues were still there. A good course I felt, with three easy stands, three hard stands and the rest medium. Finished on 90 just as the Day Nurse was wearing off. I wonder if squadded or some sort of hybrid method might be needed here in future as it was busy. 

Churchill's on Thursday.  Three stands I was disappointed with.  Scaffold platform, miss a pair, hit a pair and then end same again. Just sloppy doing that.  Grouse butt I couldn't hit what looked like a simple low going away target, think I was stopping the gun on it.  Sim pair on the next stand finished the demolition of my card - 3/10.  Only dropped 6 all together on the other 9 stands for a 78.

Driving back from a few days away in the Midlands and popped into Court Farm on the way home.  Thought it was pretty wind affected and I had several stands that I should have done better on.  Worst one was first stand up the hill - low lr crosser and a really high battue.  In the wind, not a single one of the battues opened up and I kept hanging onto them waiting for that to happen, missing every one.  Abysmal 1/8 on that and a total score of 72.

I did get a bit distracted today by the three chaps in front of me on a few stands. Non cpsa shooters. The older one went first of the group each time, hitting between 0 and 50%. He then fully coached the two younger guys who were hitting 30-60%. It was when he blanked a stand and then jumped into coach position I could only look at the floor. 

I did get a bit distracted today by the three chaps in front of me on a few stands. Non cpsa shooters. The older one went first of the group each time, hitting between 0 and 50%. He then fully coached the two younger guys who were hitting 30-60%. It was when he blanked a stand and then jumped into coach position I could only look at the floor. 
First time at a registered in a while that wasn't squadded and althouch I got round in about 2 hours it did feel a lot longer, had 2 or 3 stands with a bit of a wait so the shooting didn't feel like it flowed quite as it usually would. Not sure what can be done better, my only thought would be a one-way system or have some squads go out for the first couple of hours then have it as a free for all?

Personally I wasn't very good last weekend but did better yesterday and today; 85 at Ham Cross, missing 6 rabbits which is really unlike me wrecked the card a bit, and 86 at Hangmangstone today with teal being my nemesis today again hitting 6 out of the possible 8, but stupidly went to football yesterday afternoon and got carried away after with some mates, beer flowing nicely, still in the curry house at gone 11 meant that I wasn't overly fresh this morning 😂 

Older coach and two younger shots in front of us on the second to last stand I shot, he was telling them what to do, went in first and missed most of what was a fairly simple slow rabbit followed by trap bird, younger lad went in after and smashed them.

Barbury today, weather bright sunny with just a mild breeze was just about perfect, this lovely bright sun though did cause me one or two squinty looking into sun moments.

Was a very late booker to this squadded shoot and was with four new faces, all very pleasant fellows and a very young lass at her first registered shoot, did think a few of the stands were daunting enough for old fossils let alone one so new. 

I could boldly say that I shot some of the targets very well, sadly I shot many more very badly, the many l-rights having wrecked my card before stand 4, did find some /quite a few of the "testing" targets only to be befuddled by some that I really should be finding. 

Was finished & left well before close, so afraid no idea of scores, there was though a distinct buzz around the place, which is Ive found is very busy no matter what day I find myself there.

there was though a distinct buzz around the place, which is Ive found is very busy no matter what day I find myself there.
Barbury demonstrates that, whether for practice or a comp, people like nice facilities, good parking and a mud free environment. Add in a friendly atmosphere, good catering, 1st world standard toilets and plenty of stands with a mix of targets and it's easy to see why they get the numbers. 

Barbury demonstrates that, whether for practice or a comp, people like nice facilities, good parking and a mud free environment. Add in a friendly atmosphere, good catering, 1st world standard toilets and plenty of stands with a mix of targets and it's easy to see why they get the numbers. 
Totally agree, I wish I lived closer to Barbury, it’s a great ground.  Every time weve shot there someone has always come up and asked us what we thought, anything wrong or what could’ve been better etc. I’ve never had a disappointing shoot there. 

Orston today for a quick sportrap as late in the day as I could get. Been working on a few things just lately with which mount to use and when, and a bit of variation in pre shot routine. A very steady course that could have been tougher but come away with a PB of 94, 4 clear of my previous best, and my first ever 25 straight on a layout. Well worth the trip, as expected a fair few mid to late 90's with 98 being high gun. I expect the british this week may be tougher than today's round.

Coleys today, was a pleasant, not warm, not cold but pleasant day, no sun to blind one no sharp breeze to wobble the odd clay. Despite the day being near sold out was in a small squad of four, flip side was that each and every one of us had the honour of being first up three times. No scores displayed so no idea how course had been shooting, as per the crossing l-rights did for me early doors, was though a good mix of targets, lots to hit, fair few to miss also, tripped up on last stand so was a 🤨 day so close to a 😊 day for I. 
In squad with Julian Morris whose 97 was HG, am sure it’s because he had the dubious honour of following me 🤪

British open at Swinton, (copied from other thread)

I shot the sportrap yesterday morning. Nice set of courses that set off relatively simple and got harder as they went through. Layout 3 had some stiffer birds on it and the 4th had a huge looper. Dave Woolly's 98 will take some beating. All placed in a very nice setting with traps hidden away, I came away with an 89 which I was pretty chuffed with. All in all I thought it was a very good sportrap.

Shot the esp in the afternoon and the wheels came off a bit then. Again a lovely setting, all in trees and up banks, very similar to Grimsthorpe or Hodnet. Targets were all very fair, nothing outrageously difficult but plenty at a fair distance or to trip you up. Just lost my focus too many times dropping 1' & 2's here and there with a calamity on stand 3 dropping 6 that destroyed my card early on to finish on 89 ex 120. Realistically I was a good 10 or more light as to where I should have been. Only complaints I heard were about a rabbit jumping a bit on stand 6. Monster driven on stand 14, not something you get at a standard registered these days.

All in all I think it will be regarded as a very good shoot and a success for the ground, reffing was all good, good trade Village, toilets and bins dotted about. Well done to Swinton.

Latest posts

Back