Sporting Practice

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the replies Maria_H and DavidJ. Im based in Cambridgeshire Ive just looked up Ben but am not sure where he is located, it said on his site he gives lessons at any ground anywhere in the world  :eek: .

Thanks Bebo ill give that a go next time I go. Unfortunately I have an enforced layoff from the clays for the next two weeks due to work  :cry: .
You might catch Ben at Kibworth, which isn't too far away. I'll PM you some details about local coaches.

Hello all.

I was looking for a few tips on the best way to improve my sporting practice.

I started clay shooting in March and steadily improved, I shot a pb of 72 /100 in the first registered sporting I entered but have entered 3 more since and the 72 is still a P.B.

When I practice I tend to shoot 100 sporting, 8 per stand in the order the stands suggest (eg on report or sim) practicing this way I can track my scores and have some competition against myself as I often shoot alone. 

I no longer feel like Im improving and am interested to hear how others go about it??
March, as MrHewland pointed out is not that long to have been shooting sporting, the vast array of targets presented does take an awful lot of time and frequent shooting to experience. Scores at Reg shoots, fir you it's very early doors, don't get hung up about scores, unlike trap targets which have to conform, ESP targets & course vary in difficulty and are subjected to weather, your later ESP shoots may well have been on targets you were unfamiliar with and can easily wreck a card.

Practice, personally I now tend to limit this to practice on targets that have given me problems at a Reg and my approach to each pair would be as if at a Reg, that means in the same structured deliberate manner from stance through to shot, no I don't keep score of practice targets.

Finally good luck, sporting is a continued learning experience, there is no magical short cut, it takes a lot of targets a lot of time and a lot of mental effort, personally I've only ever regretted not starting shooting regularly earlier, 

Looking at your 4 esp scores and those you shot with your 72 was a good score as the top three are very good and got 93 and 92     to take first and joint 2nd.  The others were normal for your level of ESP.  Highwaymans is not considered easy and Cambridge I've only shot a premier league once there.  You will find if you branch out and shoot elsewhere you will go up and down a lot as the presentations will be very different to Cambridge.  Terrain and the ability to send some very tricky birds will be seen.  Your 72 seems to be your first score so you think you are getting worse but you are really just experiencing different presentations that you may find harder as we all do.  Don't get it stuck in your head that you are getting worse based on getting the 72.  I see you shoot DTL regularly- I love a bit of DTL.

Thanks for the replies Rich and Sian they make a lot of sense. My 72 was my first ever competitive shoot and I have been a bit frustrated that I haven't bettered that in the following shoots. I am happier with my DTL scores as I can see I have improved but prefer shooting sporting and may have to accept improvement can not be seen as quickly or in the same way.

I think ill focus more on the targets I struggle with in my practice from now on and maybe not even score my stands although that does keep one of my children occupied as we go round..

Back