Sporting grounds open on Saturdays

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DolphinCTC

Every now and again we like to have a trip to Hodnet and enjoy the quality of targets, especially the stiffer ones. However it is always nice to have a change and wondered if there are any comparable shoots within a similar distance from Preston? Please don't include Coniston or Kelbrook as we have done them to death!  Is Mickley Hall a good challenging shoot for example?  Thanks Max 

Mickley Hall is a great place to shoot but totally different from Hodnet, although some equally awkward targets and some at quite a distance.

Doveridge would be about the same travelling from Preston

If you can plan it properly Oakedge shots some Saturday mornings

Oakedge has a 50 bird competition every Saturday + a very good , difficult Compac with some very long birds, very challenging and enjoyable.

Thanks for the replies chaps, something to think about. Max 

Mickley Hall is a great place to shoot but totally different from Hodnet, although some equally awkward targets and some at quite a distance.

Doveridge would be about the same travelling from Preston

If you can plan it properly Oakedge shots some Saturday mornings
Went to Doveridge a couple of years ago but we weren't over inspired with the targets to be honest, may be we went on a bad day but we have not been back.

If anyone comes to North Devon and wants a registered English Sporting shoot on a Saturday then look no further than South West Shooting School near Ilfracombe.

There is a rumour that Cart Ridge near Saltash in Cornwall who have open shoots on one Saturday per month in the Summer might becoming CPSA affiliated again to hold registered shoots.  There was evidently a poll of shooters at their last event which was positive for the shoots to become registered.

A bit far from Preston but the title just asks for Saturday shoots and anyway there are usually peeps coming on holiday who want to know where to shoot!

Thanks Robert, will bear that in mind if I am ever down that way.  :smile:

Thanks for the replies chaps, something to think about. Max 

Went to Doveridge a couple of years ago but we weren't over inspired with the targets to be honest, may be we went on a bad day but we have not been back.
wow I wonder whats needed to inspire  you then !!    I just like targets  at sensible speeds , angles , and  distances  ,    try a .410  that would be testing and inspiring .    :eek:

wow I wonder whats needed to inspire  you then !!    I just like targets  at sensible speeds , angles , and  distances  ,    try a .410  that would be testing and inspiring .    :eek:
Difficult to put my finger on exactly what it was but maybe the variety was not what it could of been given the huge potential they have? Don't think there was even a rabbit on the day we went. The best clays were some driven off a tower on your way to the skeet ranges but these were not part of the 100 Sporting  :huh: :huh: :huh:

Latest posts

Back