Southern counties GB OT

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidney

Shot the GB selection shoot at SC this weekend, think that must of been one of the toughest I've ever shot. Five layouts of arse kicking targets, 16 squads, and dozens of excuses! As ever was great fun but bugger me did it seem tough. Sun even made an appearance on Sunday..... After we had finished shooting. Many other shootclay people there? Any comments?!

heard the horror stories for steve and ed ling today... sounded nails!

Yes it was tough, but what an opportunity. The weather could have been worse but an average of 22 would make the final. It made mortals of your opponents and chances went begging. OT at its most challenging. Ed by the way sporting a trigger hand where the hammer missed the plough. :fie:

Last edited by a moderator:
Many a good shot were seen leaving layouts with shocked facial expressions like they had been slapped round the face with a big wet fish.

I had a strange thing happen to me on one layout... couldn't get my words out, like I had had forgotten how to call for the target!! What the hell was that all about? :haha:  That has never happened to me before!  Think I had got to the stage I was too scared to to call it! Very amusing.

right im going to sound daft now,so here goes ,how can a trap shoot be any harder than another(exepting bad weather)targets are the same where ever you shoot,its a fixed routine of targets.

In a perfect world and on paper if set up exactly to the regulations then every ground should be very similar. Interpretation and 'artistic licence' together with the lie of the land can alter the target set up quite a bit. Back drops can alter target visibility a lot, as well as weather conditions. Trap boffins could tell you about release speeds and target spin from different breeds of trap etc, but I try not to think about all that stuff! 

There's a thread running elsewhere about the distractions of background noise. Not as bad as OT new finals - there's a compere every five targets to announce on a microphone what everybody's score is in case they'd managed not to notice.

Am I right in thinking the Issf will be reviewing the new finals format in November? Personally I like the scores starting from zero but its all taking up a lot of time.... Certainly hasn't made it more interesting for the onlookers.

Democratically, 5 shooters in the final are all for zeroing the scores, one shooter generally isn't. It's the underlying principle of the new finals. Nobody begins the 100m with a 2 yard start just because they won the semis.

On the other hand, they don't settle it with a 15yard dash either, hopping on one foot.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Nobody begins the 100m with a 2 yard start just because they won the semis"

That is how I see it, but yes, it's not so nice for the 1st place man in either the qualifiers or semis. Brings it in line with other Olympic sports though which I'm presuming is the main reasoning behind it.

"Nobody begins the 100m with a 2 yard start just because they won the semis"

That is how I see it, but yes, it's not so nice for the 1st place man in either the qualifiers or semis. Brings it in line with other Olympic sports though which I'm presuming is the main reasoning behind it.
All looks like it's becoming a farce Sid! As I've said before, I wish the buggers would just leave things well alone. It hacks me off so much that I may even go back to shooting DTL, but I would need to be REALLY brave to do that! :eek:

Yes it was tough, but what an opportunity. The weather could have been worse but an average of 22 would make the final. It made mortals of your opponents and chances went begging. OT at its most challenging. Ed by the way sporting a trigger hand where the hammer missed the plough. :fie:
So how did you and Ian get on Fred? I was going to go over there, but I had to get my stone wall sorted before the bad weather hits us!

Results should be on CPSA tomorrow Les. Three Scots in the final which is a good showing. Three squads of Ladies, 90 guns overall. Peter Wilson came to give moral support on the Saturday but we never saw a celebrity like yourself Les. There were some steam driven antique engines in town but I guess you were busy with your random blocks.

Les

was Chuffing hard work pal, but nutty week before was in a different league again, they were hard to say the least.

Still we live to fight another day. But 40 up summed it up nicely an opportunity missed as a relatively mediocre score would have worked wonders.

Results should be on CPSA tomorrow Les. Three Scots in the final which is a good showing. Three squads of Ladies, 90 guns overall. Peter Wilson came to give moral support on the Saturday but we never saw a celebrity like yourself Les. There were some steam driven antique engines in town but I guess you were busy with your random blocks.
Celebrity Fred???  Yeah right, in my own mind mate! As for random blocks!!!! Well if you remember the Crypton Factor on TV?.... The hardest bit was removing all that bloody Ivy, every time you get a root to come away it drags a bit of wall out with it, once it's out it won't ever go back exactly where it came from, then one has to introduce mortar into the equation, after needing to reorganise the blocks on each side of it. I think I will change my name from "Les53" to "Stonewall", seems fitting somehow! :yes:

I was sifting through the bins on Saturday afternoon, as you do. Checking the split between the chosen brands which were more random than last year with the arrival of extra shooters. Found a few 28gm which seemed unlikely but Anthea confirmed three guns chose the option which would give them prizemoney but not team contention in C and D class.

Les

was Chuffing hard work pal, but nutty week before was in a different league again, they were hard to say the least.

Still we live to fight another day. But 40 up summed it up nicely an opportunity missed as a relatively mediocre score would have worked wonders.
If I had shot it, a mediocre score would have been a bloody miracle on my part!!!!  I was hoping to get over to SC this week at some point, but the weather looks as though it's taking a turn for the worse as of tonight, should have been this morning, but the met office changed their minds.

I was sifting through the bins on Saturday afternoon, as you do. Checking the split between the chosen brands which were more random than last year with the arrival of extra shooters. Found a few 28gm which seemed unlikely but Anthea confirmed three guns chose the option which would give them prizemoney but not team contention in C and D class.
What would you say was the most widely used brand on Saturday then Fred?

Shells were 50% blue Les with the rest split between black and red. I get best results from red ones but each to their own taste. Swapped some Red Shot for Black Eagles with Ossie from Darkside country. Haven't tested 'em yet.

Latest posts

Back