Small Shoot - Handicapping....

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Problem with the CPSA averages is that they can be a few months out. Last year we did the same thing for a handicapped skeet shoot, 50 ESK, SKD & NSSA.  Due to the amount of work I had put in and being a newish my averages had jumped since last classification and on handicap shot 161ex150.  On raw hits I think I hit 128ex150 but the true high gun was 146ex150. If there is to be a handicap shoot the only suggestion I can make is to have 2 categories, raw hit high gun and the handicap one that way the true high gun walks away as high gun and although the handicapped shooter may beat them on handicap both camps have had a reason to attend, that was certainly the takeaway for us last year. Cheers, Jon.

What we do at our club for members handicap shoots is this: Each shoot is in two parts – the scratch part which just uses the raw scores and a handicap part.The scratch part is self explanatory – no handicaps highest score wins The handicap part is a little harder to administer.  We assume a winning score is 90% for everything but skeet (95%)  (no trap disciplines).  We started with either CPSA averages or club averages if not a CPSA shooter and assigned a handicap that was 4/5 of the difference between the average and 90% – maximum clays credited is 40 per hundred clays.   We calculate the number of clays to be credited per hundred, pro rata that down to the number of clays in the shoot and then round that down to the nearest clay. We then maintain the system so that any winner has his handicap cut.  2 clays for the first win, 5 for the second and subsequent win.  Averages are then recalculated anually (not enough club comps to do this more regularly).  Seems to work ok for club shoots with no prize money only trophies up for grabs.Oh and a winner can only win in either scratch or handicap - not both.CheeersJT

Last edited by a moderator:
This is getting ridiculous now./wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gifGo to a ground, shoot the targets, the one who hits the most , is the winner.The one with the most hits on their card may have cheated, retire to bar, discuss this, agree they didn't cheat, award prizes. /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gifAgree they did cheat, retire to far end of ground, dig a hole, stand cheat by hole, the rest then shoot miss & out. True winner then receives the star prize of a JCB driving course for one, with particular emphasis on Back Hoe skills./wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cool.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cool.gif Sounds very much like an average shoot, but with a better prize structure. 

Latest posts

Back