Small Payouts at BIG Shoots

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosso

Does this seem right. 

Premier league shoot 100 sporting. 233 entries at £40.00 an entry, class win payout £45.50.

Nothing "Premier League" about that. 

Tight wads (pardon the pun).

A bit of a joke if you ask me! Now I know that the clubs need to make some money, and have to cover there costs, but even if they had a prize of £100 then it would seem worthwhile shooting, otherwise you may aswell go birds only for £35!

for a start, without wanting to cause undue comments or friction, the definition of a `club` is thus;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_(organization)

most (all?) clubs in the uk are privately , so are not for the benefit of members, but the owners. , who do not do it to make a loss. most reinvest into their business,  as well as make a few bob.which is ok. costs for a shoot are huge, i know, but not to the extent that grounds overcharge for poor return. this `topic` has been done to death already,birds only , profiteering,  no service, etc.  read `was George right`,, :smile:  

no idea what the answer is,,, but remember that most shoots are for a profit, not a pat on the back.  

at your local s/bale type shoot, would you prefer everyone to `chip in` towards new machines, and a bit of member involvement to set up etc and pay maybe a modest 10p a clay,,or 30 p a clay or more, ,with the hope these grounds are around in 10 years or so? apart from the availability of an area to shoot over i think i know the answer, which is stuff it, let someone else do it and pay up.

The premier league has a few more prizes for the high gun and winning club.

£1500 worth of trap for the club and a few more quid for the top scorers.

I emailed WLSS to ask for the prize breakdown and this was the reply :

Dear Paul

Many thanks for your email, so sorry about the prize breakdown, but it was all run on the CPSA’s computers.  I have just gone through the envelopes that I have left from the day and sadly your name not appearing on any. L

The CPSA should be able to print a list or email it to you.  As they gave me a list to raise the prize money.

Do apologise for the confusion.

Regards

Diane

Work that one out ? I won £40 at Owls lodge when i won B class a couple of months ago . There was 69 shooters that day . Perhaps the 223 shooters were mostly TO ? 

The Birds Only shooters should be listed in the results? It was £5 extra per shooter who shot competition?  Haven't got the numbers to hand but aren't there rules and regs on what the prize breakdown should be? 

62 birds only shooters

sorry take away 8 ladies because I counted them twice - 54

Last edited by a moderator:
That's £855 prize money then from the £5.00 for comp entries. This is nothing to do with the extra one off £5.00 CPSA registration for premier shoot entry 

About 42 birds only at EJC

32 at SD

I get frustrated on this one, regardless of class the clays cost the same, to win and just get your entry fee back with that big an entry is crap.  Depending on the types of clays used standards, batues, rabbits etc average clay cost is probably about 12p, money can still be made with TO shooters.  

I get frustrated on this one, regardless of class the clays cost the same, to win and just get your entry fee back with that big an entry is crap.  Depending on the types of clays used standards, batues, rabbits etc average clay cost is probably about 12p, money can still be made with TO shooters.  
I think you will find grounds are paying about half that for clays bought in bulk.

View attachment barrow heath class prize money doc.wps

As a ground owner & competition shooter i know that the hosting grounds money is the B/O entry fee, any additional prize fund monies are collected for the shooter and held by the ground & should be distributed into each shooters class.....

The High Gun prize should NOT be taken from any class prize fund.

Being open & transparent encourages bigger & better prize funds to each class i think, at BH after last entries, we calculate the amount of prize money in each class & post it on the notice board for all to see.

That's £855 prize money then from the £5.00 for comp entries. This is nothing to do with the extra one off £5.00 CPSA registration for premier shoot entry 
Was there an additional £5 charged per entry ??

Why is this, thats what you pay for as a competition member isnt it ??

As always when this topic comes up, I will gladly post and provide for free my prize money calculator spreadsheet which can transparently show the breakdown of finances for a shoot.

i know one big ground has adapted and used it for themselves. 

Richard Moate (Oxney skeet) did this years ago, as a sort of graph .assuming monies were staying in class , you just looked at the amount of shooters in aparticular class and it gave you a breakdown , to the penny of the payout down to something like fouth/fifth place (dependant on entries) based on the comp money paid in (I.e £5.00 per shooter ) to show all money in the prize fund was paid out to the shooters , always said it should've been adopted by the Cpsa ( or any ground) to show clarity to all .Many times we have sat down after major and smaller shoots and have worked out the payback to shooters and the sums, in some cases  ( One particular time when it was a 200 bird shoot i.e double the prize fund fee ) by a large margin do not add up and its never been an overpay by the ground involved !! as some seem to have their own weird and wonderful way of working out payouts whoch are not transparent at all !! 

As 

i think with a lot of bigger grounds they see nothing but the profit margin,most generous payout i have see was Urchfont approx 50 comp shooters.

they paid 100 hi gun and 70,50,30 in classes....way more than the "pool" shame they only run 4/5 a year.

Latest posts

Back