Skeet and MidnightMinstrels Guitar Chat

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeet UK

Wouldn't it be great to have a skill like that and work in such a place?.. I would have loved to have worked in a guitar workshop or something...unfortunately, I don't have the natural skills necessary for it.

If you ever need anything done, give me a shout (if you can't find anywhere local)...I do re-frets, action setup's, fret levelling (the proper way) nuts n saddles, that sort of thing...I build them too, acoustics and electrics.

If you ever need anything done, give me a shout (if you can't find anywhere local)...I do re-frets, action setup's, fret levelling (the proper way) nuts n saddles, that sort of thing...I build them too, acoustics and electrics.
Thanks skeet...will bare that in mind, although I had my Gibson set up a while back and it is, at the moment just perfect. A work college tried it out recently, he couldn't put it down ( he is a much better player than me, used to have a band that had some limited success in France in the mid 90's) he had bought a Faith Saturn a while back and was really happy with it...said he nearly binned it after playing mine :lol: .do you have a website with your guitars etc?

Ps. Just added a couple of pics of mine in my Gallery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks skeet...will bare that in mind, although I had my Gibson set up a while back and it is, at the moment just perfect. A work college tried it out recently, he couldn't put it down ( he is a much better player than me, used to have a band that had some limited success in France in the mid 90's) he had bought a Faith Saturn a while back and was really happy with it...said he nearly binned it after playing mine :lol: .do you have a website with your guitars etc?

Ps. Just added a couple of pics of mine in my Gallery.

No, no website...just for fun.  Had some pics on my other PC which is busted at the moment.

Glad to hear a decent guitarist has a Faith Saturn.  I have a High Gloss Faith Venus (new, all solid style)....awesome guitar.  You really can't do better for the money..or even for lots more money...how much do you need to pay for an all solid Martin? :)

Your Gibby is very nice dude.

No, no website...just for fun. Had some pics on my other PC which is busted at the moment.

Glad to hear a decent guitarist has a Faith Saturn. I have a High Gloss Faith Venus (new, all solid style)....awesome guitar. You really can't do better for the money..or even for lots more money...how much do you need to pay for an all solid Martin? :)

Your Gibby is very nice dude.
Thanks Skeet, and it plays as good as it looks.I actually sold a Faith Eclipse to get the Gibson, it was a really nice guitar for the Dosh, I get what your saying about Martin, however I really liked that 15 GTR E they did...awful picker though,but a great stummer. Martin have brought out some high end rubbish latley, dont know about you but I wouldnt pay over a grand for a chuffing laminated B&S guitar! This Gibson is very versatile, even with lights (9s) and you can bend some great blues on it, the quality in the neck is outstanding. It was between this and a J45, I was a bit disappointed with the J45 once I tried one tbh, but this 185 just blew me away, I just had to have it! :.:

Thanks Skeet, and it plays as good as it looks.

I actually sold a Faith Eclipse to get the Gibson, it was a really nice guitar for the Dosh, I get what your saying about Martin, however I really liked that 15 GTR E they did...awful picker though,but a great stummer. Martin have brought out some high end rubbish latley, dont know about you but I wouldnt pay over a grand for a chuffing laminated B&S guitar! This Gibson is very versatile, even with lights (9s) and you can bend some great blues on it, the quality in the neck is outstanding. It was between this and a J45, I was a bit disappointed with the J45 once I tried one tbh, but this 185 just blew me away, I just had to have it! :lol:
I do like a Martin. A luthier I know had a one off, from about 1990, tuned in D standard...sounded awesome.

Point about the faith is...an ALL solid guitar..with no plastic, other than 6 washers, one on each machine head. Ebony pins and buttons...awesome....hard case too....and designed by an English luthier.

Even the eclipse are awesome, they just paint them because the wood isn't quite so pretty...still maple bound. I love em and will buy another, possibly a Jupiter.

Laminate has it's place, if it's quality. Good for gigging and bashing about with, as they are more dureable. I actually built a Dread for a guy who requested lam b&s, because he wanted a robust guitar. But it was all rosewood lam and the finest Sitka for the top and all bracing...so it stil sounded great. I also aged it for two weeks, with a special vibrating device that helps "play the guitar in"..run it solid for two weeks...was a different guitar after that.

You have both lost me now. I once had a jewsharp (spelling) :)

I do like a Martin. A luthier I know had a one off, from about 1990, tuned in D standard...sounded awesome.
Point about the faith is...an ALL solid guitar..with no plastic, other than 6 washers, one on each machine head. Ebony pins and buttons...awesome....hard case too....and designed by an English luthier.
Even the eclipse are awesome, they just paint them because the wood isn't quite so pretty...still maple bound. I love em and will buy another, possibly a Jupiter.
Laminate has it's place, if it's quality. Good for gigging and bashing about with, as they are more dureable. I actually built a Dread for a guy who requested lam b&s, because he wanted a robust guitar. But it was all rosewood lam and the finest Sitka for the top and all bracing...so it stil sounded great. I also aged it for two weeks, with a special vibrating device that helps "play the guitar in"..run it solid for two weeks...was a different guitar after that.
You have a point, a Lam has its place for gigging and plugging it in etc, it is more robust and its probably going to get a ding or 2, but to pay the silly money Martin is asking for them is madness imho, they just arnt good enough and dont come near the Faith in quality, PJE came up with an amazing build for the Faith, as you would expect.
Does a Lam actually open up then? becouse I thought only a solid build actually matures so I am suprised you even used that vibrating device on it....Do they actually work? because I went to a Taylor demo evening recently and the Rep. said the only way and best way of opening up a good ( Solid) guitar was to keep playing it, I Would love to see a couple of pics of your Built ones. Sounds interesting.

The top was Solid Sitka, as was the bracing.

Yeah..it makes sense if you think about it.  New wood has all of the resins and fiberous structure etc.  You start bending it and over time, it becomes more pliable.  The Tonerite, just helps things along by setting up the vibrations, and getting everything nice and pliable.

http://collingsforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/94760485/m/941101681

Jew's Harp eh?  Weird, but fun :)

What is the drop at comb of these "martin" jobs ???

Jewsharp, make unknown circa 1975 ish purchased in Ross on Wye from the finest purveyors of American musical instruments.

Too much said :)

Do you play Gary ? :fie:

Well...when asked, is usually say that I "play ON the guitar", rather than play it.  I was always more into the technical side of them, and that started with painting electric guitars, then building them, then doing action setups, fret levelling etc and so on...then after building my 4th electric guitar, I decided to learn how to play a bit...so I play a bit, not a lot.  Prefer acoustic and finger style stuff.

What about yourself, Mick?

Any advice on which paint to use when spraying an old guitar. I got the saw out and modified my old epiphone flying V and fancy a nice metallic colour.
e8esajam.jpg

Well...when asked, is usually say that I "play ON the guitar", rather than play it.  I was always more into the technical side of them, and that started with painting electric guitars, then building them, then doing action setups, fret levelling etc and so on...then after building my 4th electric guitar, I decided to learn how to play a bit...so I play a bit, not a lot.  Prefer acoustic and finger style stuff.

What about yourself, Mick?
Yes I play a bit, not as well as Eric but I can amuse myself. Like yourself I have built electric guitars, 3 in total, after repairing and re-fretting a few.I have enough bits for a 4th but I lack the motivation.

I have built my version of a strat copy, a Gibson SG copy and a strat like bass.(the strat and bass are a matching pair) What are yours like ? :preved:

Latest posts

Back