Simple stock oil

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

Hi Guys

I am looking for some simple to apply stock oil for a 686 evo, just as protector more than anything, the shop gave me Ccl stock treatment but it seems a bit of a faff...

Any ideas would be appreciated

Ccl is all you need Dickie. Unless you intend to strip the stock completely I would just use the Stock Replenishing Oil. Easy to apply and does the trick in a couple of thin coats. Smells good as well. MM

I've used CCL stock oil for over 25 years!!! It's very good stuff providing you use it correctly. You say "it seems a bit of a faff", in what way? 

I've used CCL stock oil for over 25 years!!! It's very good stuff providing you use it correctly. You say "it seems a bit of a faff", in what way? 

I was hoping to find something that you just rub in and leave and thats it, not that I am lazy, just time poor ... OK both!

I was hoping to find something that you just rub in and leave and thats it, not that I am lazy, just time poor ... OK both!
Well if it's CCL gunstock conditioning oil then that is exactly what you do! You have to apply just small amount a rub it in until your hand starts to burn from the friction. Then you need to leave it until it dries fully before you use the gun. It can take anything from a few hours to a week to dry, depending on ambient temperature and humidity, and also how much oil you put on. If done properly the results are excellent! See pic.

post-951-0-86190000-1421241739.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20140606_002.jpg
    WP_20140606_002.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 0
:fie:  Les, you are not confusing this with the Johnsons baby oil that your wife likes to rub into you while you get all hot? :crazy:   :haha:

:fie:  Les, you are not confusing this with the Johnsons baby oil that your wife likes to rub into you while you get all hot? :crazy:   :haha:
Oh that's it Cyril......tell the bloody world why don't ya!!!!  :laugh:

Well if it's CCL gunstock conditioning oil then that is exactly what you do! You have to apply just small amount a rub it in until your hand starts to burn from the friction. Then you need to leave it until it dries fully before you use the gun. It can take anything from a few hours to a week to dry, depending on ambient temperature and humidity, and also how much oil you put on. If done properly the results are excellent! See pic.
Thanks Les

Thats what i have, the instructions make it sound like a pain in the neck

I will try next week as i have eight straight days of work so no shooting for me

Beautiful looking stock you have!

Thanks Les

Thats what i have, the instructions make it sound like a pain in the neck

I will try next week as i have eight straight days of work so no shooting for me

Beautiful looking stock you have!
Cheers for the stock compliment mate. It can take many hours of work to get a stock looking good, it really depends a lot on what the stock is like before you start work on it. I did once meet a guy who could not get his stock to go right at all,it just did not hold oil. When I had a look at it we discovered that it was a sort of semi mat laquered finish that it had on it, not a factory oil finish at all. He had to strip/rub it down to bare wood and re seal it before starting to oil it. It was a long job but it really did improve the look of the wood no end!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rapid oil.

As for les's use of baby oil. Nothing wrong with that :)

If the stock already has a decent finish on it then you need noting more than a durable wax.  I use paste floor wax.  It's a great protective coat for blue as well.  In the olden days waxing guns was standard stuff in drippy England.  And a good thing it was too since the linseed oil finishes were about as waterproof as air.

If you want a quick drying stock oil look no further than Napier London Stock Finishing Oil.

Available from most good gunshops. 

If you want to smarten up some good woodwork use dark wax -Trade Secret sell it but ordinary furniture hard wax polish will do the job. Apply a thin film and leave the wax on for ten minutes without polishing then put a few drops of silicone gun oil on the wood and polish to a shine with a soft cloth. Quick, easy, gives a fantastic finish that will even impress Cyril.

If you want to smarten up some good woodwork use dark wax -Trade Secret sell it but ordinary furniture hard wax polish will do the job. Apply a thin film and leave the wax on for ten minutes without polishing then put a few drops of silicone gun oil on the wood and polish to a shine with a soft cloth. Quick, easy, gives a fantastic finish that will even impress Cyril.
"Beeeeeatiful bit of wood on it"

I agree with most of the advice given , but be aware that once you have applied wax you will be unable to apply an oil finish  as the oil will not penetrate the wood pores.

Latest posts

Back