Side-by-Side

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my opinion this is way over priced. Do remember that companies rebadge cheaper guns just as much as they do now, and this one looks nothing special. Also note the cost to restock would be at least 2-3 times the current list price of this one. If I saw this at auction it would struggle to make £50...non ejector boxlocks are not even now listed in some sales as the trade cannot sell then. The best value SxS are AYA, loads about hand made to English design. If it must be English look for a fault free decent grade boxlock and make sure it's an ejector for your budget...will take some real luck to get a decent sidelock....but has been done . :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
The best value SxS are AYA,
I've had a look at a few AYAs and, whilst one cannot argue that they're good value, they just don't 'catch my eye' if you will...

If it must be English look for a fault free decent grade boxlock and make sure it's an ejector for your budget...
A quick scout on Guntrader has found me these...

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Parker-Hale_Shotgun_For-Sale_150801134534001

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/A-Allen_Shotgun_For-Sale_150612172758580

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/BSA_Shotgun_Boxlock_For-Sale_150502151854001

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Cashmore-William_Shotgun_Anson-Deeleys_For-Sale_140805152351002

Any of these look like they'd be of any merit? 

will take some real luck to get a decent sidelock....but has been done . :wink:
None on GT for my budget! :(

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with buying an gun of the age you are looking at is that they have probably had a number of owners, some good others bad! Think of it as just a "nice thing to own " and that you might struggle to sell and buy what you fancy the look of. Regular clay shooting with one is a real pain, they just do not do not really work doing 100 sporting...great fun on a fun duck flush. Condition wise any thing a dealer or auction sell must be in proof, but this is no indication of condition. Steer of pitted or thin barrels, 20 thou should be min thickness. Check everything for rust, look very closely for cracks in the wood, the more figured the wood the more chance of a crack! With the forend off gently shake the barrels and see if they feel loose. If anything found use this to either get the price adjusted or move on. If the barrels are poor I will not buy, if the stock is solid but rough I will buy if the price is right and the same if the barrels are loose as the cost to retighten is not too much. Beware of a gun that is just too tight for the age or condition...I bought a £50 one from auction, very tight, 10 carts later it was very loose...10 mins with a hammer on the hook was all the gunsmith had done to tighten that one!.Have a look on Holt's auction site, they tell you price and all the faults a gun has and good as a research tool...Other auctions are really buyer beware as they sell on some real horrors if you do not know what to buy.

The problem with buying an gun of the age you are looking at is that they have probably had a number of owners, some good others bad! Think of it as just a "nice thing to own " and that you might struggle to sell and buy what you fancy the look of. Regular clay shooting with one is a real pain, they just do not do not really work doing 100 sporting...great fun on a fun duck flush. 
To be honest I'm only looking to get one to do driven shoots so I doubt I'd be using one on clays anyway, bar maybe 20 or so! 

Condition wise any thing a dealer or auction sell must be in proof, but this is no indication of condition. Steer of pitted or thin barrels, 20 thou should be min thickness. Check everything for rust, look very closely for cracks in the wood, the more figured the wood the more chance of a crack! With the forend off gently shake the barrels and see if they feel loose. If anything found use this to either get the price adjusted or move on. If the barrels are poor I will not buy, if the stock is solid but rough I will buy if the price is right and the same if the barrels are loose as the cost to retighten is not too much. Beware of a gun that is just too tight for the age or condition...I bought a £50 one from auction, very tight, 10 carts later it was very loose...10 mins with a hammer on the hook was all the gunsmith had done to tighten that one!.Have a look on Holt's auction site, they tell you price and all the faults a gun has and good as a research tool...Other auctions are really buyer beware as they sell on some real horrors if you do not know what to buy.
Thanks for the advice Cockney! :)  

Latest posts

Back