Should I buy a new (unused)shotgun without a warranty?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew Betts

I've seen a Miroku MK38 Grd 1 for sale in a local gun shop to which is priced at £850.

Only problem is, it comes without any warranty. The dealer says it is ex-warranty because the place it was last being sold at had a fire which has only discoloured the end barrels.

His personal opinion is that it is sound and would imagine that nothing would be an issue with it but it's just that chance I'm concerned about. Being honest, if he didn't say anything I would of just thought it was perfect (apart from trying to register a warranty and it being rejected).

Anyhow, my other choice at my price was a Franchi Harrier Sport 28", which is still a decent gun but my question is, has anyone knowingly purchased a gun under the same or similar circumstances and did it bother you? I'm new to shooting, am 9 weeks away from expecting completion of my SGL and don't want to waste my hard earned money on something potentially I could have trouble with or unnecessary repair costs.

Any advice welcome.

Matt

Ask him if he understands the sale of goods act?

He has to offer a warranty.

End of.

Fit for purpose is the term.

Walk away mate. Have a look on Guntrader, you will find something you want - with a warranty.

A warranty is another word for guarantee Nic. If something goes wrong with the gun within a specified period it is repaired free of charge.

Thanks for the replies....

I think I will stick to the Franchi then. It comes with the 3 year warranty and all I need to do is put a deposit down until I get my SGL.

Will a Shooting club be willing to sign it on their certificate (obviously for a charge), store and keep it there in the event of a refusal?

I'm keen to secure this shotgun and stand to lose the 10% deposit in the event I get refused. I've seen these new Harrier Sports go for £1,100 and for £695, I'm getting a good price!

I'm really considering placing the deposit today so any further advice is gratefully received.

Thanks

Matt

I bought my gun without a cert, on reflection I wish I waited, as my ticket come through two weeks after.

It got quite confusing as my gun was on a mates ticket, when he signes it over to me it almost becomes second hand, my gun failed on me after a couple of shoots, and I called the shop, although I paid for the gun the registered name wasn't me, and it caused confusion.

I would say, if you can, try and wait..

It is a tough call, but if it did develop problem with the gun, the store would be still liable and in court with would be in your favour as long as it was a manufactures fault. But it's always better to be safe than sorry so I would leave it. Or use your deposit against something else

I'd go for it cos a Miroku MK38 is bomb proof and most used Grade i's go for about the same money.

Just to update all that I've gone and placed my deposit on the Franchi Harrier Sport. Hope I made the right choice! Time will tell. Well excited now and can't wait for the next 9 weeks Notts police expect to complete the SGL application process to take.

:0)

Just to update all that I've gone and placed my deposit on the Franchi Harrier Sport. Hope I made the right choice! Time will tell. Well excited now and can't wait for the next 9 weeks Notts police expect to complete the SGL application process to take.:0)
Well it will spit lead in the direction it's pointed. and that's what you need at the moment.

Is it only my gun shop that leaves the Beretta card blank, so that is it ever needs anything sorted under warranty that it will definately be covered. He says the importer does not know how long it has been sat new on his shelf.

Latest posts

Back