Shooting glasses for spec wearers ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the most versatile lens I’ve got in the ZS frames is a yellow to photochromatic dark brown . Great on game days as well as clays . ZS were once called Zeiss Sport and distributed by Zeiss . I first wore them nigh on forty years ago . They are no longer connected to Zeiss , who now push Pilla as the the go to lens with more colours than Farrow and Ball . I reckon millions and millions and millions of clays must have been shot by people wearing this frame .

I went from RE Rangers to ZS Sport prescription glasses a couple of years ago. Excellent quality and value for money.

I chose a lens with height, they will set the nose pieces so they sit high. Hope that helps

I chose a lens with height, they will set the nose pieces so they sit high. Hope that helps
Ps Ed Solomons and the other Ed do really nice titanium ones which I will get when they restock. No affiliation.

the ultradrive arrived, my first prescription light enhancers, my goodness, I am quite surprised at how much difference they make, I wore them driving last night and they are rather good. The world looks so much better! Cheers Will.

i had them set high.

you have to ask the optician in store as it’s not an option on line. But they know about it.

I bought two pairs of the Zeiss prescription shooting glasses from JHS. Great quality, adjustable bridge. I bought purple and orange. Very comfortable. Price was also reasonable, cheaper for two pairs than some of the big name non presription multi lens deals.

I bought two pairs of the Zeiss prescription shooting glasses from JHS. Great quality, adjustable bridge. I bought purple and orange. Very comfortable. Price was also reasonable, cheaper for two pairs than some of the big name non presription multi lens deals.
Sounds and looks excellent.

Last edited:
Interesting thread.
I wear daily varifocals but use bifocals for shooting and both work well.
But I occasionally have a focus issue for mid range, 5-10 feet when wearing the bifocals and I was told that a tri-focal might help but I'm not sure whether they would impinge on distance or confuse the wearer.

Has anyone got or tried tri-focal lenses?

Thanks

I have an old Pilla Sebring model. After my sight went south I went to optician here (Slovenia) and then sent the specs I got to Ed Lyons (UK). We chose the colour/tint and I have sent him the pic of me with mounted gun toward camera...Without meeting him, he supplied me with lenses that fit and work bespokely - am very happy.

20180111_151644_Original.jpg

Last edited:
I have an old Pilla Sebring model. After my sight went south I went to optician here (Slovenia) and then sent the specs I got to Ed Lyons (UK). We chose the colour/tint and I have sent him the pic of me with mounted gun toward camera...Without meeting him, he supplied me with lenses that fit and work bespokely - am very happy.

View attachment 10476
Which model are these frames? Thanks!

the most versatile lens I’ve got in the ZS frames is a yellow to photochromatic dark brown . Great on game days as well as clays . ZS were once called Zeiss Sport and distributed by Zeiss . I first wore them nigh on forty years ago . They are no longer connected to Zeiss , who now push Pilla as the the go to lens with more colours than Farrow and Ball . I reckon millions and millions and millions of clays must have been shot by people wearing this frame .

After researching the crap out of this subject, I have decided to go with the JHS Zs specs….

My prescription prevents a lot of the other alternatives, and I really don’t want to spend Pilla money .

My question really is whether to go single tint medium purple or go the photochromic purple?

Any advice folks ?

My understanding of photochromic lenses - the ones that adjust to the outside light - is that the chemicals are time limited. That's not normally an issue with lenses which are changed every 2 or 3 years but I understand its not ideal for shooting glasses when you might want them to be consistent over time. I might be wrong on this point - I heard this 10+ plus years - so things may have changed.

Freddy, I wear Photochromic daily as well, and my eyes seem to be changing (for the worst !) quicker than Id like, so longevity inst my worry.

I think my main concern is that on bright days, they wont really offer the best of the purple, as in my experience, they go dark in quite early stages of bright imho...

You make a good point - Whilst I've not had them myself I know someone who gave up on them - suddenly going dark and then taking a long time to lighten up.

I think that the purple on its own would be preferable . I have purple and then a pair of
yellow to dark photochromic. The rational behind that is purple 80% of the time and to be honest the yellow / photo only get an odd outing plus using on game shoots which might start misty and I might end up with the sun at some point . The dark is good against the sky but you’ll lose a lot of contrast on a typical sporting layout I think .

Ps this is just an opinion based on my own use , I claim no optical knowledge , and I have no friends who are world leading experts in the field !

After researching the crap out of this subject, I have decided to go with the JHS Zs specs….

My prescription prevents a lot of the other alternatives, and I really don’t want to spend Pilla money .

My question really is whether to go single tint medium purple or go the photochromic purple?

Any advice folks ?

Any advice folks ?

Hi southern, iv had my glasses from jhs couple of months I was going to go for the purple. After trying on the day . I went for the red single tint great glasses for the money definitely boosted my scores . You must try the different shades it what suits you not what look best . I have the photochromic glasses don’t think they are as good. I just don’t see £
1000 for set of glasses

Latest posts

Back