Shooting Bodies & Organisations

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay

Just been checking out the BICTSF website for Selection Shoot dates, and checked out a couple of links and stumbled upon the British Shooting (BS) website. The number of organisations in this sport confuses me a little so I was hoping that perhaps some of those shooters with International experience could explain my questions which are in red.

The website explains that as an "umbrella" for everything shooting, the core purpose of BS is as follows:

A single contact for International Federations - All the Organisations have a telephone so why the extra layer of communication?

A single shooting body in receipt of public funding from UK Sport and Sport England - Why is this necessary? Why does it have to go through another Organisation when the funding is announced it appears to be already allocated to disciplines.
The member body of the National Olympic Committee - Why can't this be done by the relevant Governing bodies?
• To oversee the development and preparation of world class shooters for success on the international stage - What do they actually do that delivers the stated oversight? Do the people in BS have the necessary qualifications and demonstrable experience to be effective in providing this "oversight"? 
• To support the development of grassroots shooting in England - Other than their website what do they do for Grassroots?

To promote the quality and professional governance for target shooting sports - Surely good governance starts with transparency, clear lines of roles and responsibilities, and efficient organisational processes. As stated before, there seems to be a lot of Shooting Organisations in a Sport that shouldn't really need so many, or should it? There are much bigger sports that only have one Organisation.  

Apologies if i'm being a bit simplistic here, but can someone explain please, because it leaves me wondering what the point is of the other organisations such as the BICTSF?

Cheers

JP 

I speak from my experience as a small-bore target shooter

British Shooting is the UK umbrella organisation - UK Sport funding and Olympics will only deal with one body for all target shooting which includes rifles and pistols as well as shotguns.  If you think about it, it then gets complicated because we have the home nations of England, Wales, and Scotland who each have to select their own teams for the Commonwealth Games.  Each discipline has its own organisation as well so Clay Shooting, Small-bore and Full-bore.

The people at British Shooting are highly qualified IMHO.

The various shooting organisations have been given every chance to get our act together and to form one organisation through merging CPSA, NSRA & NRA - that has not succeeded to date.  A merger could make a lot of sense as we could minimise administration costs as we are all member based organisations and we all run competitions.  It would also give us a huge membership to lobby government on behalf of shooters.  It seems each one remains too parochial to take the plunge!

I just think it would be better for all and do more to promote and preserve shooting sports if they were merged, safety in numbers and all that, and of course the usual cost savings from rationalisation. As it is at the moment, it looks like it would be easier for influential antis and politicians to divide and conquer.  

Who precisely would then fund my trips to the Dallas grassy knoll, Southfork , and New Zealand?

Would I have to pay my own bills?

Hi Jay,

When i next see you I will give you and explain to you the full organogram. It is very complicated because of various things and although some on here may want to help... i doubt that anyone on here actually knows the whole route. There will be lots of guessing and assumptions...(that really i do not want to get into correcting...because people will take bat and balls home). Many may be vocal about what they think it is and how it all fits together...but non have actually sat on the boards concerned (where as i have...all 4). 

Thanks Nicola I would like to get the correct understanding of it all. There doesn't appear to be any kind of coherence of information between their respective websites. 

There will be no co-operation Jay because they have all got their nose in the trough.

Just don't bother about it and go shooting.

Latest posts

Back