Sharing guns on certificates

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lesley

Mike and I want all our guns to appear on both our licences, at the moment they are all on his. I don't want to transfer ownership, even of my Silver Pigeon, as we took out an extended warranty under his name and we don't want to pay to transfer ownership.

Our transfer of ownership forms from Hampshire Constabulary give us the option to declare them as "shared" but do we each have to send in forms, one lot in Mike's name and one lot in my name? or can we just do it once.

Did try asking our local Firearms Licencing Department but you can guess how helpful they were! - "just fill out section 2 on the back of your licence". :.:

Lesley,

I will have a look, when I get home, at what it says on mine as I co-own or share 3 guns. When our son brought his I think me and the wife both filled in forms indicating the change.

I dont think it is anything to do with ownership, so no worries on the warranty front. As with a car and traffic offences, the police don`t care whose it is; they want to know where it is kept and who is in charge of it.

My wifes gun is on both our certificates, so that we can both travel with it.

Send them a letter with your licence asking them to put all the gun's on your licence as well as his so you can also have access to the gun cabinet .

Would have to check about transferring guns, or circumstances where you'd moved constabularies etc. but all my guns are on my wife's SGC and vice-versa, and that habit will be maintained. Just makes it simpler in those situations where either of us might need to travel alone and bring the other's guns with them - at least then neither of us is travelling with unlicensed weapons if the plod stop us for any reason.

I dont think it is anything to do with ownership, so no worries on the warranty front. As with a car and traffic offences, the police don`t care whose it is; they want to know where it is kept and who is in charge of it.

My wifes gun is on both our certificates, so that we can both travel with it.
I know the GMK warranty on my Silver Pigeon states that if the gun is "sold or transferred" the warranty can also be transferred at a charge so don't really want to do that.

Send them a letter with your licence asking them to put all the gun's on your licence as well as his so you can also have access to the gun cabinet .
I have the relevant forms so I know I don't have to send my licence off, but does Mike fill in a form for each gun "shared" or do we BOTH fill in a form for each gun shared.

I am also very reluctant to send my licence to them, took me six very long months to get it from them in the first place!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lesley,

I will have a look, when I get home, at what it says on mine as I co-own or share 3 guns. When our son brought his I think me and the wife both filled in forms indicating the change.
Thanks Andy, that's what I'm trying to work out, whether Mike only fills out the forms or whether we both do. Am inclined to do both and give them too much paperwork rather than too little and them saying I haven't advised them of the changes to my licence.

Would have to check about transferring guns, or circumstances where you'd moved constabularies etc. but all my guns are on my wife's SGC and vice-versa, and that habit will be maintained. Just makes it simpler in those situations where either of us might need to travel alone and bring the other's guns with them - at least then neither of us is travelling with unlicensed weapons if the plod stop us for any reason.
That is exactly what we are trying to do, just want to do it right in the eyes of the law.

At risk of teaching you to suck eggs, Lesley, which isn't my intention, have you tried calling you local police firearms licensing helpline?

They may allow you simply to fill in each other's SGC and then scan them, and then email them off to your licensing team?

Just a thought :)

Last edited by a moderator:
All you do if you bought the gun is...... send a letter to your licencing authority (you do not need to send the certificate in ).

You state......

Name......your name

Shotgun Cert....your number

EFP .....your number

Dear xyz

Could you please note on my shotgun file and my EFP the joint ownership of (state gun make and number) with my (wife, husband, partner, pal) who is called (name) his details are (shotgun cert number....EFP number...)

Kind regards

(signed you).

They also have to send in same to their licencing authority (stating joint ownership) and note 'joint ownership' on the shotgun certificate (just like you would do with a purchase).

Simples.

I do it with all my guns and my husbands guns. Then when you renew your licenses you will find the gun noted in print on both licences.

Now if you get divorced or split up....don't ring me as to who has the ownership :D :D :D

If you sell any that are owned jointly....then you both have to write in saying that they have been sold on and give the details.

All you do if you bought the gun is...... send a letter to your licencing authority (you do not need to send the certificate in ).

You state......

Name......your name

Shotgun Cert....your number

EFP .....your number

Dear xyz

Could you please note on my shotgun file and my EFP the joint ownership of (state gun make and number) with my (wife, husband, partner, pal) who is called (name) his details are (shotgun cert number....EFP number...)

Kind regards

(signed you).

They also have to send in same to their licencing authority (stating joint ownership) and note 'joint ownership' on the shotgun certificate (just like you would do with a purchase).

Simples.

I do it with all my guns and my husbands guns. Then when you renew your licenses you will find the gun noted in print on both licences.

Now if you get divorced or split up....don't ring me as to who has the ownership :D :D :D

If you sell any that are owned jointly....then you both have to write in saying that they have been sold on and give the details.
LIKE. (ran out of wotsits) :D

Actually, just checked, and some police licensing dept's have a prepared standard letter of transfer which you just complete and send back to them, either through the post, or via email.

Here's Manchester's, by way of example:

Shotgun Transfer or Disposal Forum.rtf

Attachments

• Shotgun Transfer or Disposal Forum.rtf
    11.1 KB · Views: 10
Thanks Nicola, that's what I needed to know - if we both send in - and you are saying yes.

Sorry to be a divvy - what's EFP? :oops:

@ Lock stock....Yes but we are not talking about a transfer, we are talking about 'joint ownership' so that they can both use each others or transport each others.

A transfer is just like a sale, but with no money. Once a transfer has happened then you are back to the 72 hour rule again. :D

Joint ownership.....is totally different. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks Nicola, that's what I needed to know - if we both send in - and you are saying yes.

Sorry to be a divvy - what's EFP? :oops:
EFP is European Firearms Pass . It is what we all need to get our shotguns into and out of another country.

Latest posts

Back