Sgc copy

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

optima

Thought i'd do a couple of  copy's of my shot gun cert and leave them in the truck,shooting bag etc in case i,m stopped and asked for it and to save  hassle of loosing the original, as i,m always travelling in different vehicles to shoot game ,clays etc,after i'd copied it i noticed the word fraud appeared across the copy,would this pose a problem if i was stopped and produced a cert with fraud written across it./wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-embarassed.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-embarassed.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-embarassed.gif

I don't think it would - the police officer would understand that it is a copy and would expect you to present in due course. if they were really desperate, I'd imagine they could radio to check if you had a legitimate copy. I've heard a few people keep copies in cars, and gun slips etc.

I don't believe an officer can actually take your gun off you?Maybe the armed section could but not your average traffic cop.If they did maybe you would then be in a bad position because they would not be a SGC holder???I have a few photo copies in vehicles and I take the original out with me a lot more than I used too. Glen.

A copy is invalid. Plod can take your gun from you if you do not have a valid certificate. He is allowed to do this because of the position he holds. Carry your certificate, its easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a policeman needs to carry authorisation to be able to confiscate .

That is what I thought or there was something he can't just take your firearm I think,anyhow it just shows the inconsistency and the need for this info to have more clarity for all SGC holders. Glen.

I still can't see why we can't have a credit card size licence to carry whilst keeping the paper copy safe at home. It could have your photo on and a list of what you can have in your possession. Ie shot guns or fac or both. I for one would pay extra for this convenience as it would make taking my guns out much easier if there was ever a problem. Thank goodness I have never encountered any problems whilst out shooting but you hear of such stories of other fellow shooters.

Even better link up with the DVLA system which is linked now to the Passport data base etc. and you have easy access to all date available to the police. If your car is registered to you then this called also show in advance you are a Cert Holder. We really do have a great system now you can see how all this info is linked just from when you do your tax online for your car! Have the little Driving license style card for SGC and FAC holders would be a great idea and leave the paper part at home! Cracking idea that mate.

A common sense idea that would give the authorities an excuse to increase the price of an SGC - but definitely very sensible.

If it made it easier for us all as SGC holders then I would pay additional no problem. What is renewal fee nowadys? 50 pounds? The lowest in Europe I guess? Glen.

Agreed - I don't mind it being more expensive and convenient.

Whoa horses!!!Reason it is not......is the crucial one........ !!There systems are not secure. Imagine a criminal hack of a system that showed where all shotguns were kept in the Uk .... With names addresses and quantities!!!This is one of the reasons that the GMC are back peddling so quickly from being associated with reports on SGC owners for certificates.....their security is not secure enough on their IT systems. Luckily BSSC keeps a close watch on 'who' gets to have 'our' information (and this is fact as I sat on the committee). Certificate holders need to have proper protection in the storage of their information. We all know what 'types' are out there in ' Internet land' and 'protesting land'............do you want 'Mothers against Guns' turning up to protest on your doorstep because you have a shotgun or more kit.....in a house on a street in a town near kids etc etc etcYou know how it goes.............yawn

Excuse typos.......IPhone again and cannot see. It disappears after a few lines so cannot proof before posting :)

Yeah that would be bad!!! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cry.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cry.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cry.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cry.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cry.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cry.gif

I recently thought it would be a good idea to call at a gun shop I don't normally deal with, on the way back from a shoot at Hodnet.I was going to buy a few thousand cartridges as their prices were very good. I only had a photocopy of my certificate with me; they would not accept it even though they lost a sale of about £800.A frustrating lesson for me!

the original might have been recalled by the police for whatever reason.

By law you do not have to carry your shotgun certificate. If you get pulled over by the police they can quickly find out if you hold a valid certificate. Any Police officer is exempt from holding a shotgun license when on duty so can legitimately take guns from you if you do not hold a license or you are arrested, and it is not just the armed response that can do this, any Police officer can. /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

wylye said:

A copy is invalid. Plod can take your gun from you if you do not have a valid certificate. He is allowed to do this because of the position he holds. Carry your certificate, its easy.
More inconsistency,my local firearms office said that it is OK to carry a copy. I don't,I carry the original but I go along with the plastic ID card idea even if it cost a few bob more. Vic.

Phil Weston said:

By law you do not have to carry your shotgun certificate. If you get pulled over by the police they can quickly find out if you hold a valid certificate. Any Police officer is exempt from holding a shotgun license when on duty so can legitimately take guns from you if you do not hold a license or you are arrested, and it is not just the armed response that can do this, any Police officer can. /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif
Only during working days. If you're pulled at the weekend you've had it without your certificate with your gun in the car - in view that is.

Latest posts

Back