Rule changes

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My friend uses one, and informs the ref on every stand when shooting in comps.
Question to you and to @Jan Powell - If you have pulled the trigger, is there a way to mechanically avoid the shot going off before release, or would you just have to release the trigger and accept that the gun fires?

While the trigger is still pressed you activate the top lever to open the gun - then you can let go of the trigger

Excuse my ignorance, I've never shot any trap disciplines, but why would anybody walk between pegs with a loaded (but open) gun?
I've done a grand total of 1 registered ABT shoot and 1 registered DTL shoot. The pegs are 3m apart centre to centre. If you hit with the first barrel, you open your gun, discharge your spent cartridge and leave the one in the second barrel while you move. It's not like wandering around a sporting shoot with a cartridge in an open barrel, you're only shuffling sideways about 3 steps (even for someone with short legs like me).

I'm looking at this release trigger thing and struggling to understand why you would want this?
What makes this a better option than pulling a trigger?

I'm looking at this release trigger thing and struggling to understand why you would want this?
What makes this a better option than pulling a trigger?
A lot are used to relieve Trigger freeze or flinch, same sort of thing as the darts players "Yips" where the thrower cannot release the dart. Eric Bristow had it and it nearly finished his career.
My mate can shoot 50-60 carts then struggles to pull the trigger, he often pulls the gun off line because of it. So he may well be looking at a release trigger.

A lot are used to relieve Trigger freeze or flinch, same sort of thing as the darts players "Yips" where the thrower cannot release the dart. Eric Bristow had it and it nearly finished his career.
My mate can shoot 50-60 carts then struggles to pull the trigger, he often pulls the gun off line because of it. So he may well be looking at a release trigger.
Thanks for the explanation but isn't it likely that these "yips" would then just affect the release?

Thanks for the explanation but isn't it likely that these "yips" would then just affect the release?
Not necessarily, the brain associates pulling the trigger with recoil which to the brain’s way of processing is painful and is to be avoided. By using the release trigger you fool the brain into believing nothing bad happens

Not necessarily, the brain associates pulling the trigger with recoil which to the brain’s way of processing is painful and is to be avoided. By using the release trigger you fool the brain into believing nothing bad happens
Fair point, but brains also learn things as they go along. What happens when your brain learns that releasing the trigger gives you recoil, do you go back to a normal gun

Reactions: SBL
Fair point, but brains also learn things as they go along. What happens when your brain learns that releasing the trigger gives you recoil, do you go back to a normal gun
Not a clue

Not a clue
It might have taken your brain 10 years to cotton on to the fact that pulling the trigger = painful recoil which is to be avoided by not cooperating. It took mine more like 50 years to start playing tricks.

If it takes another 50 years to learn how to mess up trigger release I wouldn't be too concerned

(I don't use trigger release.)

As Wyn says they aren't banned, but IIRC guns set up for release trigger should have visible letter "R" on the stock to inform others, particularly the ref, as extra care is needed when such a gun has to be unloaded due to say a no bird, if the trigger has been pulled but not released.
Thanks, maybe I was confusing it with release triggers on Semi-auto rifles. At my age I do get confused on an hourly basis🫣

It looks like the CPSA could be heading for a U turn judging by their latest post of social media. I see they've turned comments off on facebook!

PM

For context, the latest news post, reconsidering semi-auto use for DTL & ABT.

https://www.cpsa.co.uk/news/general/2024/04/16/general-and-technical-rules-addendum-update/6026

I was surprised that ESK wasn't included as well as DTL& ABT.
That's the one where thre is more chances of a loaded gun being waved around outside the safe zone. Especially on stands 1 and 7.

As for OT and OSK. I believe Ben had already said that it was due to some countries that hold international event there is a total ban on automatics.

So. I'm guessing that they didn't consider the impact on Home Internationals and international shoots such as the DTL world's.

Also, the unloading between pegs other than between 5 and 1 seems unnecessary.
For olympic disciplines. They have to take into account major events where there may be more interruptions and distractions in the course of a round. I guess it make sense then.

Back