recoil

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor Lecter

apologies if this has been done to death ,   but im struggling with recoil ( neck pain )  question is  , do the gracoil recoil reducer work  , or at least help ?    thanks in advance . 

What gun do you shoot, how heavy is it, what shells and how many in a typical session. Also are you more than casually competent to know if the fit isn't in some way responsible or even the mount ? All reducers work starting from  a decent pad all the way up to compression type systems and soft/sliding pads, all depends how far you need to go. 

I suffer with recoil and nearly gave up shooting about 10 years ago. As Hamster says, gunfit and cartridge choice makes a big difference.

Now I use a gun with a full Isis recoil system fitted and it is superb. I can even use heavy  (32/34g) game shells in moderation. 

Being made from polymer means that the Isis system doesn't affect gun balance quite like the metal equivalents. Highly recommended.

As Hammy said, what shells do you shoot ,  

you don't have to shoot 28G shells  24G will break clay's just as well.

I shoot 24g evo XLR  these are good shells,  and there as smooth as butter.  and are plenty capable of dusting clay's if required.

If i want i can move up to a 28g Fblack or  Hull comp X   as they work well with the gun,   Eleys on the other hand i find thumpy, 

Its all individual though , don't be afraid to try the simple stuff before spending out on recoil systems etc

Daft question, but have you had the gun fitted to you?  

:santa:  

miroku mk38  1/2 1/2 choke , eley superbs 8s  or  English sporters 7.5  s     been shooting for years , couple of coaches  have checked gun fit  ,  recoil has got worse with age  ,  ( like most things)    next day neck pain etc   ,  I only shoot approximately  100 - 175 shells a week   im a fat lump so not too fragile .   so should I go the gracoil road  ?   they aint pretty but if they work   job sorted ! 

have you tried 24g ???

ps

I always found superbs to be very punchy.

ps

I don't think neck pain is neccasarily due to recoil it is more likely to be gun fit or to be specific comb height. I would seriously consider trying a Monte Carlo / high rib set up.

I find the sporters very punchy as does Tony although he happily uses them if they are cheaper than something else and his bulk does actually absorb the recoil :)

miroku mk38  1/2 1/2 choke , eley superbs 8s  or  English sporters 7.5  s     been shooting for years , couple of coaches  have checked gun fit  ,  recoil has got worse with age  ,  ( like most things)    next day neck pain etc   ,  I only shoot approximately  100 - 175 shells a week   im a fat lump so not too fragile .   so should I go the gracoil road  ?   they aint pretty but if they work   job sorted ! 
To be fair most Mirooks ain't pretty to start with nor particularly expensive so when it comes to pain I'd say looks are a distant 9th in order of importance. Eleys's aren't noted for their soft shooting but most including me think English sporters kick more than they ought to so the first thing to do would be to find suitable alternatives which are less punchy. It all depends on the local availability but good sub £200 shells are out there, you could also at the same time consider dropping to 24g loads although this for me would be a final solution because I believe you can achieve incredible results with the right mechanical set up and not have to worry that you're competing on less than equal grounds.

Depending on what you are prepared to spend you need to get either a Sorbothane or RecoilSystems Green pad, about 18mm should suffice as the thickest ones take some getting used to. Your next upgrade should be the full Isis compression reducer - the most common complaint I hear from people is that they find the movement off-putting  :rolleyes: , this always makes me wonder why they don't find the whole bleeding mini explosion next to their face and the subsequent ruddy kick off-putting. 

In other words you get used to it and users will tell you they simply don't notice it. It's the same as the first few times you fire a shot gun, the whole experience is almost frightening and odd yet you wouldn't have known any different had the gun been fitted with a reducer system. 

The final upgrade is the moving comb possibly even going the whole way and having the soft comb conversion or as I have done getting the comb section covered in a layer of Sorbothane sheet. I'm afraid this final conversion can be very important to some, recoil moves and shakes the head which in turn sends shock waves to the neck because they're attached  :D . It doesn't matter how finely the gun is fitted and how well you mount, recoil still exists and will need to go somewhere, most of it travels rearwards in a well set up gun but some will still be transmitted to your head, some like me get headaches, others suffer neck pain. 

RecoilSystems do have a moving comb conversion kit but I have personally never understood why they don't offer a proper phase 1/2/3 offering. The best systems come from the US and if you can be bothered to import them they can cost up to around £700 for the kit plus fitting when it gets here. My choice would be SofTouch or GSquared etc. 

I install lots of recoil devices, but always look at them as a last resort in most instances.  In your case, a recoil device such as a Gracoil or any other for that matter, where the comb does not move in conjunction with the device could actually make matters worse.  As the stock comes back, your cheek is planted on the comb and will twist a bit as the device collapses. Secondary recoil can also be an issue that a lot of folks just don't consider when it comes to recoil devices.  It is also important to know what game you are shooting.  If you are shooting Trap, gun balance isn't nearly as important as it is in the other games being that there is very little barrel movement involved.  Skeet, Sporting and the faster games the balance is critical so a heavy recoil device such as a Gracoil is not advantageous, so an Isis unit would be a far better choice.

Jb

Last week Everyone agreed on here that "flinching" had Nothing to do with recoil  (except me) it was ll down to gunfit? :rolleyes: Well 50 years a clayshooter?

Last week Everyone agreed on here that "flinching" had Nothing to do with recoil  (except me) it was ll down to gunfit? :rolleyes: Well 50 years a clayshooter?
No we didn't.  :lol:

Anyway you're on the wrong thread, this one is about neck pain.  :wacko:

I don't think neck pain is neccasarily due to recoil it is more likely to be gun fit or to be specific comb height. I would seriously consider trying a Monte Carlo / high rib set up.
IPS is correct, neck pain can be caused by RSI, Carpel Tunnel, Tennis Elbow and/or golfers elbow. Having spent the last 2 years getting to the bottom of my neck issues I have now got to the root causes, yes there is more than one!

My advice is go to a physio, let them see if you are suffering with any of these RSI, Carpel Tunnel, Tennis Elbow and/or golfers elbow and then go from there, it could also be back or posture, a reaction to an old injury such as whiplash, we all instinctively blame recoil but its not always the case.

@shootinguru 85% of flinch cases have absolutely nothing to do with recoil, that 8 1/2 people out of every 10 that suffer with it...

To be fair most Mirooks ain't pretty to start with nor particularly expensive so when it comes to pain I'd say looks are a distant 9th in order of importance. Eleys's aren't noted for their soft shooting but most including me think English sporters kick more than they ought to so the first thing to do would be to find suitable alternatives which are less punchy. It all depends on the local availability but good sub £200 shells are out there, you could also at the same time consider dropping to 24g loads although this for me would be a final solution because I believe you can achieve incredible results with the right mechanical set up and not have to worry that you're competing on less than equal grounds.

Depending on what you are prepared to spend you need to get either a Sorbothane or RecoilSystems Green pad, about 18mm should suffice as the thickest ones take some getting used to. Your next upgrade should be the full Isis compression reducer - the most common complaint I hear from people is that they find the movement off-putting  :rolleyes: , this always makes me wonder why they don't find the whole bleeding mini explosion next to their face and the subsequent ruddy kick off-putting.

In other words you get used to it and users will tell you they simply don't notice it. It's the same as the first few times you fire a shot gun, the whole experience is almost frightening and odd yet you wouldn't have known any different had the gun been fitted with a reducer system.

The final upgrade is the moving comb possibly even going the whole way and having the soft comb conversion or as I have done getting the comb section covered in a layer of Sorbothane sheet. I'm afraid this final conversion can be very important to some, recoil moves and shakes the head which in turn sends shock waves to the neck because they're attached  :D . It doesn't matter how finely the gun is fitted and how well you mount, recoil still exists and will need to go somewhere, most of it travels rearwards in a well set up gun but some will still be transmitted to your head, some like me get headaches, others suffer neck pain.

RecoilSystems do have a moving comb conversion kit but I have personally never understood why they don't offer a proper phase 1/2/3 offering. The best systems come from the US and if you can be bothered to import them they can cost up to around £700 for the kit plus fitting when it gets here. My choice would be SofTouch or GSquared etc.
OR you could just buy an auto !

OR you could just buy an auto !
I dunno, I've had a few and unless you get a heavy one they still kick. The new Xcel Parallel Target with the kick off system is extremely soft shooting but I couldn't quite get on with the mid height rib, I never seem to shoot them as well as an O/U.

Due to medical conditions I have been forced into using an auto. It got to the point, prior to an op., that I could no longer lift my Miroku trap gun to my shoulder and my shooting mates were finishing 100 birders for me. I was failing after around 70 or so. I stopped shooting for some 12 months. Upon restarting, I worked my way up from a 28 bore, via a 20 bore to the Beretta 303 12 bore weighing 7lbs 3ozs. Recoil has not been an issue but the 1lbs plus lighter certainly has. My 'pain in the neck' was NEVER a recoil issue, but the weight of the gun certainly was. The only 'mods' to the auto have been to fit a Beretta Gel-pad and to stick a Briley extended I/C choke in the end. After over a 12 months lay off, I was just getting back to enjoying shooting and shooting in the 70's ex 100 when WHAM, I get up one morning to a detached retina in my left eye. After a rather prolonged eye op, looks like I could be out for another 12 months ban ! So if you know of anyone who wants to swap a telescope for a pair of binoculars, let me know !

Latest posts

Back