PULL! magazine - the future.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dorset page on the main site sometimes goes months without anything changing...honestly i think most of the people on these committtees are of an age where they will never really do social media,keeping my head down for Wylyes' response ;) not having a pop at them guess its just a younger thing.
That's true, my county were ambivalent at first but we embraced it because it's what the shooters, whom we represent, want. I must say once you're used to it it's easy to manage. The problem is ensuring shooters and grounds keep you updated with the results.

If if it was printed on standard newsprint paper it would be better, I find it too slippy by far........

I'd be sad to see pull or any of the other publications go. The articals are at least (generally) balanced and properly reported based on fact rather than what can on social media be a single point of view rant.  Not saying there's not some interesting things on social media but it comes with having to either know where the contribution comes from, context and what facts are considered.  Those of us thst have been around a bit probably have a good BS filter and know the context things are written in and so subconsciously only read what is relevant or know the contributer.

Interestingly I was researcing a particular make of gun on the interweb and a lot of the information given on some forums is factually incorrect. 

As for Facebook.... Think the 2015 compak champs got a considerd review?

Who else is fed up of clicking on links to test you IQ etc. (Bet everyone is in the top 10%)  or supposedly funnny links used to gather marketing data or bombard you with.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's many aspects of social media that irritate me, the problem is it's what so many are using. The rate at which shooters have signed up to our county CPSA page suggests within a  year it'll have just about replaced other forms of communication. It'll get to the point that you'll have to have a Facebook account to find out what's happening.
the problems come when people don't see what you post because of Facebook's algalgorithms I urgr everyone to avoid making Facebook their communication cornerstone.

the problems come when people don't see what you post because of Facebook's algalgorithms I urgr everyone to avoid making Facebook their communication cornerstone.
Plus they use what you put on there for profit. The only thing that Guy gives away is your personal info. 

I've given a false age. Not for vanity. I don't care about that. Just so that its not near a significant milestone or an age of much marketing interest to cut the amount of Sh@t  in the timeline.

People who really know me know my age. 

I'd be sad to see pull or any of the other publications go. The articals are at least (generally) balanced and properly reported based on fact rather than what can on social media be a single point of view rant.  Not saying there's not some interesting things on social media but it comes with having to either know where the contribution comes from, context and what facts are considered.  Those of us thst have been around a bit probably have a good BS filter and know the context things are written in and so subconsciously only read what is relevant or know the contributer.

Interestingly I was researcing a particular make of gun on the interweb and a lot of the information given on some forums is factually incorrect. 

As for Facebook.... Think the 2015 compak champs got a considerd review?

Who else is fed up of clicking on links to test you IQ etc. (Bet everyone is in the top 10%)  or supposedly funnny links used to gather marketing data or bombard you with.
don't click on them then! 

Just to be clear this forum also constitutes 'social media'.

Nope. I have hi tech stuff. iPads, iPhones, latest tv. Everything wifi. About to buy the wife the latest ovens as the 35 year old ones have packed up, I'm talking touch pad steam generator combi,s, I buy and use what I find useful. I work in a college and have seen the grief Facebook causes, it's not for me. Life does not revolve around face book. 
So can I presume that you are 'off yer face'      book, then ?

don't click on them then! 

Just to be clear this forum also constitutes 'social media'.
err..think that was the point of my post. Don't click the links  and  although theres some very good info on this forum by very knowledgeable contributors and some good debates that are interesting and informative. Its not always as concise ss a magazine artical. 

I'm usually a fan of new tech, frequently using iPads, kindles, the web etc, but I do occasionally still like a good old fashioned magazine. I think Pull is okay for a quick skim through, but the content could be improved. As it's free I'm not that bothered. 

I think the CPSA should use NSSA or BSSA's idea of when you pay for your membership you can choose to pay for the magazine or just get it free online.  This would save the people who read it online money and it's probably just a better idea anyways. Maybe the lower prices might entice new people to join with more membership options avalible!

I think Pull is okay for a quick skim through, but the content could be improved. As it's free I'm not that bothered. 
No it isn't, it costs £50 a year (or whatever CPSA membership is at the moment).

i like the magazine... its nice to come home once in a while and find it on the doorstep, then make a brew and have a thumb through it. I find myself spending far too much time on my phone/tablet/laptop as it is, so the odd magazine helps even the balance.

as with all magazines though, there just aren't enough pages to include things to satisfy everyone's tastes.

IF they were to stop sending it, I would respectfully request that membership fee's should be looked at and adjusted accordingly. after all, it may be called a 'free' magazine but as Jan Powell quite rightly states, you pay for it with your membership and if they stop producing it then the saving should be passed on to the consumer.

just my opinion though...  :good:

I heard on the grapevine Twitter and Facebook are combining, it's going to be called twatface, and if YouTube joins in , it will be youtwatface ?

Would imagine the publication costs are in part even whole offset by advertising revenue, no I don't know the costs and no I don't know if the full information can be extracted from the accounts to show to the bean counters if the publication is indeed losing £, with 20,000+ members any "loss" saved by dropping mag won't drop individual fees by any significant amount and if the mag is pulled I'd rather the £ be used to continue to promote shooting rather than drop the membership fee

Not everyone uses the WWW et all for part or all of thier shooting reading fix, like some I do refer to the publications various advertisers / features and yes I can see same on iPad but generally prefer a flick through the pages. It's not ideal or for everyone there has in the past been asks for comments back to cpsa and the publishers, it ours so let's mound it to what the majority would enjoy

I would prefer that they saved the cash and provided members with an app that did a few nice bits; Members rankings and averages etc, Fixtures list that can then open up directions in bingle/Apple Maps and so on.

They could still put the articles in a virtual magazine, accessible through the app. Could include the rule book in there as well. A score card part would be good to save using paper and pen on shoots. Maybe a tracking facility so you can track non reg shoots as well. 

I would prefer that they saved the cash and provided members with an app that did a few nice bits; Members rankings and averages etc, Fixtures list that can then open up directions in bingle/Apple Maps and so on.

They could still put the articles in a virtual magazine, accessible through the app. Could include the rule book in there as well. A score card part would be good to save using paper and pen on shoots. Maybe a tracking facility so you can track non reg shoots as well. 
unfortunately this would require intelligence and common sense....not something the CPSA is renowned for!

I think the CPSA should use NSSA or BSSA's idea of when you pay for your membership you can choose to pay for the magazine or just get it free online.  This would save the people who read it online money and it's probably just a better idea anyways. Maybe the lower prices might entice new people to join with more membership options avalible!
nice idea but in  the real world the cost of production of a print magazine has a base price. It very quickly becomes uneconomical to produce it for just a few thousand people.

Can anyone imagine the postage costs alone for sending out the magazine.  It costs 53p to send an Xmas card 2nd class so what must Pull cost to send even though they will get a discount for quantity and for newsprint.

Yet again I learn from this site. Until this thread go going and I read Shmokinn's post I had no idea that other regions had Facebook pages and proper web sites within the CPSA main site.

Doubtless someone will read this thread and spring into action...

Latest posts

Back