Politics and shooting!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonix

Ok, I know this might be opening a large can of worms, and I really don't want this thread to start a massive argument between forum members! But here we go....

Can anyone give me a general overview of the plans/future of shooting, including lead shot, licence renewal costs, etc, for the main political parties leading up to the big vote in May?

I've tried looking around online on various political party websites, but there isn't much to read!

I ask this because ultimately shooting/hunting is a big part of my social life, and it will therefore probably effect my choice of vote in the general election.

I will say again, I don't want this to be a slanging match about the different parties, I just want to know what their possible plans are for us shooters...

I doubt it will be high priority on any of the parties manifestos...... Yes there are lots of sgc holdersvoters but I don't think any of the parties really want to associate themselves with shooting sports unfortunately.

I had heard some rumours that certain parties were trying to "win" votes from non-shooters by suggesting massive increases in costs to licence holders to pay for gun crime!

It's just that if a party would like all guns to be banned full stop, then I obviously won't be voting for them! Haha!

Do as I do, wait until you get the chance to speak to your chosen candidate and put that question to THEM. Their reply to that question severely affects MY vote.

Last edited by a moderator:
BASC Head Office, Marford Mill, Rossett, Wrexham, LL12 0HL
Tel: 01244 573000  - email

[SIZE=1pt] [/SIZE]​

WHERE DO YOUR CANDIDATES STAND ON SHOOTING?

With the General Election just weeks away we’re asking all members to help us find out where their candidates stand on shooting.

You can help by using BASC’s interactive website to contact the candidates standing in your constituency. The BASC General Election site identifies your constituency and candidates and provides you with an email text to send them. In a few minutes you can make a real contribution to the future of shooting. 

If you haven’t used the site before you can find it herehttp://basc.org.uk/?email_id=198&am...e&wysija-page=1&wysijap=subscriptions.

If you have used the site before, check to see if new candidates have been listed for your constituency, then contact them.

Thank you for your help and support.

[SIZE=1pt]
business2.png
[/SIZE]​

Get the most from BASC membership
Get the latest monthly snapshot of what we are doing on our BASC Bites pagehttp://mandrillapp.com/track/click/...xZjZiNmNhNjAyZTMxNDA2OWNlODAyYzY4YzlmXCJdfSJ9. Visit the home page for latest shooting and conservation news and links to member services and benefits including our motor discount scheme. Find out how you could win a brand new gun in our Member get a Member annual draw or our Take a Mate Shooting scheme.

The BASC Wine Club is currently offering members outstanding deals on a range of magnums supplied by The Wine Company. Click herehttp://basc.org.uk/?email_id=198&am...e&wysija-page=1&wysijap=subscriptions for details. And the BASC 2015 Sporting Auction is now under way - click here to see the range of fabulous lots on offer and bid for a bargain.

[SIZE=1pt]
business2.png
[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=7.5pt]© 2014 BASC - British Association for Shooting and Conservation[/SIZE]​
Registered Office: Marford Mill, Rossett, Wrexham, LL12 0HL

Registered Industrial and Provident Society No: 28488R

Hi Simonix
This may give you and idea.. Hope the links work

Hi Simon

If you click on the link where it says if you havent used the site you can find it here it takes you to  page where you can enter your post code and see the response from your local MPs and also gives you the option to email them to get a personal response to you questions. Or you can email the political dept at marford mill and they may supply you with the information as Tinker has said.

Hope this helps

Tinker bell said:
You beat me to it short legs :wink:

Speak to Basc. Last time they had a link site that showed you how your MP voted and stood on shooting topics.
...and you beat me as well.  Just about to post and saw you'd got there first!  Well done.

From a layman's perspective and very much a 30,000 ft overview, based on canvassing my own MP/prospective MP's and just general background reading.

Green - very much anti game shooting, claim to support competition shooting, but at a significant increase in license costs

Labour - pro licence cost increases, which is policy, and promote the image of shooting as the preserve of the wealthy so see anti shooting as a vote winner in the non shooting working class community.  Slightly tending toward anti shooting.

Lib Dems - tending toward anti shooting

Conservative - largely ambivalent, tending toward pro shooting amongst the party leadership.

UKIP - As Conservative

SNP - strongly tending toward anti shooting

As for lead shot I don't have a clue how it will go, I suspect that lead has such emotion connected to it that if any party saw it as a way to win popularity that they would take advantage regardless of the science.  A bit like the policies around cannabis use, but that is a different conversation entirely.

Put simply, the Conservatives are the most 'pro' shooting party, but even their enthusiasm is lukewarm. Like all parties they'd further restrict shooting and firearms possession if they thought it politically expedient.

I'm sorry to say, whatever party is in power, clay shootings days are numbered in this country, at least in its current form. Regulation, the green agenda, housing demand, environmental and noise complaints, economic pressures and a lead shot ban are just a few of its future challenges.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back